Per Urban: Cards have cap room to work with

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Per Urban's article on the team website.

Cards were about 13 mil UNDER the cap before the Rucker signing. He states the rookie class should take about 3.5 mil due to the rule of 51.

If Rucker costs us a mil (which is probably high) and taking off 3.5 mil for draft picks, should leave us with about 8.5 mil to work with.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What about the $6 million in dead money? (Kolb, Wilson, Bradley) Its confusing to me. $8.5 Million available just seems to high.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score

Cards were about 13 mil over the cap before the Rucker signing. He states the rookie class should take about 3.5 mil due to the rule of 51.

If Rucker costs us a mil (which is probably high) and taking off 3.5 mil for draft picks, should leave us with about 8.5 mil to work with.

Don't you mean under?

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What about the $6 million in dead money? (Kolb, Wilson, Bradley) Its confusing to me. $8.5 Million available just seems to high.

Dead money is already counted against the cap. When Kolb was on the roster his cap hit was 13.5 mil. When we cut him, we took his 13.5 mil off the books and had to account for the 6 mil in guaranteed money he was owed. The move nets 7.5 mil in cap savings and is available for the team to use.

So, instead of saving the full 13.5 mil by cutting him, we instead only save 7.5 mil because Kolb still will count 6 mil against the cap.

Does that explain it better?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dead money is already counted against the cap. When Kolb was on the roster his cap hit was 13.5 mil. When we cut him, we took his 13.5 mil off the books and had to account for the 6 mil in guaranteed money he was owed. The move nets 7.5 mil in cap savings and is available for the team to use.

So, instead of saving the full 13.5 mil by cutting him, we instead only save 7.5 mil because Kolb still will count 6 mil against the cap.

Does that explain it better?
Yes, thanks I had seen that before. It just seems that $8.5 Million available seems a bit high considering all the signings that we have done. But that is good news, I just hope that we can look at our offense and make improvements there as it was the worst in the NFL last year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Not if you're tanking the season to save money because you bought out $8.5M in coaches' contracts in January.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Not if you're tanking the season to save money because you bought out $8.5M in coaches' contracts in January.

This is my issue, and it reeks of the "cheap old Bidwill" stigma. I thought we were done with that when Michael came on board as a bigger part of the team's ownership.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, thanks I had seen that before. It just seems that $8.5 Million available seems a bit high considering all the signings that we have done. But that is good news, I just hope that we can look at our offense and make improvements there as it was the worst in the NFL last year.

Right now we are over 12M in dead money. Now for next year that amount will be put back into the kitty for 2014.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Cards were about 13 mil UNDER the cap before the Rucker signing. He states the rookie class should take about 3.5 mil due to the rule of 51.

If true this is good news. That provides for a lot of cheap 1 year contracts but that chicken is gonna come home to roost next year if half out roster are UFAs. At some point they need to bolster the roster for the future with three year guys. Wonder what the criteria for those players would be - under 25/26 yrs old, OL, LB, RB, TE. Not sure there are many guys that fit that bill. Maybe Fred Davis? Who do you think is out there or might be soon that would fit for us? Palmer? Dansby, Freeney, Urlacker, Harrison seem unlikely. They don't seem to qualify age-wise for a 3 year contract unless it was essentially three one year deals like Adubs and most expect more but this is a buyers market. A couple of these guys may be facing unemployment.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Right now we are over 12M in dead money. Now for next year that amount will be put back into the kitty for 2014.

Ok, but that money is already accounted for in the cap numbers so it is essentially irrelevant.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
We have a winner!

:championship:

Sent from my RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk II

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

If true this is good news. That provides for a lot of cheap 1 year contracts but that chicken is gonna come home to roost next year if half out roster are UFAs. At some point they need to bolster the roster for the future with three year guys. Wonder what the criteria for those players would be - under 25/26 yrs old, OL, LB, RB, TE. Not sure there are many guys that fit that bill. Maybe Fred Davis? Who do you think is out there or might be soon that would fit for us? Palmer? LBs like Dansby, Freeney, Urlacker, Harrison, Daryl Smith seem unlikely. They don't seem to qualify age-wise for a 3 year contract unless it was essentially three one year deals like Adubs and most expect more but this is a buyers market and these guys are getting long in the tooth. A couple of these guys may be facing unemployment.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
If true this is good news. That provides for a lot of cheap 1 year contracts but that chicken is gonna come home to roost next year if half out roster are UFAs. At some point they need to bolster the roster for the future with three year guys. Wonder what the criteria for those players would be - under 25/26 yrs old, OL, LB, RB, TE. Not sure there are many guys that fit that bill. Maybe Fred Davis? Who do you think is out there or might be soon that would fit for us? Palmer? Dansby, Freeney, Urlacker, Harrison seem unlikely. They don't seem to qualify age-wise for a 3 year contract unless it was essentially three one year deals like Adubs and most expect more but this is a buyers market. A couple of these guys may be facing unemployment.

You Draft better so you have less holes to fill with freeagents.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You Draft better so you have less holes to fill with freeagents.

Right but we only have so many picks, still have holes to fill and the rookie pool is already accounted for so the options are;
1. Find other vet FA
2. Sign rookie UDFA
3. Don't spend the money
4. Extend PP & others

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Hello Andre Smith?

we need a T.

If the Cardinals were serious about competing this year, I could buy into signing him. I like Massie's potential, but Andre Smith is one of the best RTs in the game.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard