What Does Watt Mean to the Cards?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This was an astonishing move by Kevin for so many reasons, but that’s a different issue. Right now the question is what’s changed team-wise?

Which players benefit most? Well, certainly Chandler Jones does. Teams cannot double team more than one player so somebody who usually faces a double team; won’t. Next in line might be Zach Allen or maybe Angelo Blackmon. Whoever plays the opposite DE with Jones often charging from that side, Phillips in the middle and Watt manhandling people on the other end, the opposing DE’s obstacle should be isolated at best. Of course, Phillips was signed because he demonstrated he could collapse the pocket and pressure the QB up the middle. So he figures to be far more explosive next season. I would think 8 sacks would be a real possibility.

All of this means that if Jones & Phillips can return to form, Watt may also benefit injury-wise. He has been the most double-teamed player in the game. The tremendous exertion of coping play after play leads me to understand part of his injury history. Even if you assume Reddick is gone it only makes sense it will be a much easier game for Watt.

Recent research indicates a great pass rush can’t fully compensate for a weak secondary. Still playing corner has to be easier if the QB is constantly running for his life. Another position just got simpler.

Free agency is impacted. Of course the size of the contract means the cap will effect signing free agents. I can’t imagine the Cards can pay Reddick. In fact he was weak against the run and disappeared almost completely in a few games. They clearly have enough rush without him. A cheaper option is likely. They could afford Golden but he was also not sturdy against he run. They will likely cut Kennard for cap savings. Someone could be signed. I wouldn’t be shocked to see them settle for Golden in the end. He knows the defense. He should be able to contribute to the rush and be more controlled when playing the run. He won’t be All Pro, but should be adequate.

Turning to the draft, keep in mind as I’ve been saying, despite many gurus assigning the Cards an Edge Rusher in the draft, this is a risky draft. Edge Rushers especially in this draft require an extreme amount of projection. This is yet another reason this was such a big signing. Now I would imagine any Edge Rusher chosen by the Cards would be a late round stab.

Of course the major remaining defensive concern is what to do at CB. They don’t have too much opportunity regarding reworking contracts. Plus if they chose to do so, they would compromise future seasons even if the players cooperated. So it looks like the issue is whether money is everything to Peterson. Clearly tagging him at $15 mil is not realistic. He is no longer an elite CB. He is good. Would he settle for $10 mil? Seems unlikely but that’s the sensible offer on a one year deal. If he were to sign I would revise my opposition to Horn. He’s a press corner and I’ve always felt they worked best as a second corner. He is also a ballhawk. With a better rush, those interception opportunities will be there. If Horn lasts until 16, he would be a decent fit. Assuming Peterson passes, and if the Cards can get one of the top 2 CBs in the draft by trading this year’s 3 or next years 2, I’d make the deal. Still in the end I believe the Cards most likely will put together a compromised secondary and have to live with that.

With what I see as an elite defense even with the CB weakness, I’m inclined to go offense with the first pick. Forget RB. Sign a free agent or take one with the third(if they still have it) or the fifth. Either go WR or OL. The talk of Jones at guard, which should work, makes me think they go OL, probably Darrisaw or Vera-Tucker. They could move either of them inside leaving Jones at RT or flip them.

If they go WR, Toney is easily the preferred target. As to additional receivers, Fitz has been saying he’s been staying to get back to the Super Bowl. This is his chance. If he’ll sign for $3 million that gives the Cards a decent 3rd down weapon if Murray will use him that way. Fitz will extend possessions if given the chance. This will be a true test of how badly FItz wants to win.

Whichever way they go with the first pick, round 2 should fill the need they passed on in round 1.

Finally, put out a tweet. Who wants to play for a ring? You won’t get a ton of responses but we’ve seen in the NBA that there are rich vets who will sacrifice for one good chance at the big prize.

All this means the Cards have decided future is now. Forget the contract size. Forget Watt’s durability. The Cards have gone “all in” and hopefully will be rewarded for it. This was the kind of gutsy move teams seldom have the opportunity or courage to make. There are no sure thing roster constructions. I do, however, believe that fortune favors the bold. Look at Tampa’s signing of Brady. The Cards are also gambling Murray & Kingsbury move forward. If not next season will be interesting, but that’s another story.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good stuff Harry as usual. I like a CB for their first pick in the draft but would not complain if they get a decent OL. Agree with you on reversing the pick position on round 2.They could then get a decent RB on round 3. Keim will free up more cap space with some cuts and reworking contracts but he is not going to sign any big name free agents. I would be happy if they could keep Golden and Peters and add another WR and CB. I look for some Keim time one year signings especially with the lower cap this year.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If JJ's contract is set up with voidable years and an extension is in the works for CJ (as reported/speculated) then there is room for Reddick under the cap. If not, there's little reason to cut Kennard at this point as he will have a role as would Golden.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m just not buying this desperate need for offensive lineman. Cards were middle of the pack and should have most of the same guys back.

sure it would be nice to upgrade, but the level of need is minuscule compared to our need at corner, and wr2 IMO.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m just not buying this desperate need for offensive lineman. Cards were middle of the pack and should have most of the same guys back.

sure it would be nice to upgrade, but the level of need is minuscule compared to our need at corner, and wr2 IMO.

center position needs to be upgraded, not debatable

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Middle of the pack in what? Kyler ran himself into many fewer sacks last year and ran himself out of more than a few.

Arizona was 30th in Adjusted Line Yards and 25th in stuffed rate.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Middle of the pack in what? Kyler ran himself into many fewer sacks last year and ran himself out of more than a few.

Arizona was 30th in Adjusted Line Yards and 25th in stuffed rate.
Amen! Our OL still stinks, mainly due to the interior of it. Exactly why we scratch our heads wondering why the Rams kick the crap out of us every year. Their strength is coming right up the middle, and we have ZERO ability to stop it. If you want to neutralize a guy like Murray, that's how you do it. The NFL learns fast. If the Cardinals don't remedy their interior OL problems, I'm afraid we'll see more teams mimic what the Rams do against us. And it won't be pretty.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Humphries is good.
Pugh is serviceable.
Cole was bad and Gaillard the same per Kugler.
Murray is what he is which is better than Sweezy but not good.
Beachum is an older vet whose play got worse as the season went on. Struggled in the run game.

I am not getting the feeling we should be counting on Jones being more than a Justin Murray with less experience. Hopefully they are just keeping their options open so they can add either a T or G.

We need to add a top OL in FA. C or RG or RT is fine. I would prefer a C because I think that position is as important as any on the O-Line.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amen! Our OL still stinks, mainly due to the interior of it. Exactly why we scratch our heads wondering why the Rams kick the crap out of us every year. Their strength is coming right up the middle, and we have ZERO ability to stop it. If you want to neutralize a guy like Murray, that's how you do it. The NFL learns fast. If the Cardinals don't remedy their interior OL problems, I'm afraid we'll see more teams mimic what the Rams do against us. And it won't be pretty.
Good stuff. Gotta improve the middle of the OL even Murray texted that need. Listen to your QB!!

Kyler Murray Retweeted

You must be registered for see images attach

Jim Nagy
@JimNagy_SB

QB position aside, if you want your team to win a Super Bowl then you want them to draft OL or DL in the early rounds in April. Might not be as much fun on draft weekend but it wins championships.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Then you're content for the team to throw KM to the wolves and condemn us to another wasted season. No thanks! We have big needs at CB and WR2, of course, but OL help, especially interior OL help, is essential for this offense. Too many jailbreak interior pass rushes that ruin plays, if not games.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If JJ's contract is set up with voidable years and an extension is in the works for CJ (as reported/speculated) then there is room for Reddick under the cap. If not, there's little reason to cut Kennard at this point as he will have a role as would Golden.

It's not only a matter of COULD you get Reddick under the cap, the bigger question is why would you?

You are paying 2 starting Edge rushers $36m. Why would you eat a big chunk of your available cap space on what amounts to a backup / rotation piece?

At the very best if Watt plays DE on 1st down as he tended to do at Texas then Reddick might get outside snaps on first down only in Base. And say CJ and Watt rotate a lot to keep them fresh and only play 80% of snaps (doubtful) then max Reddick might get 50% of snaps if he is lucky and they feel he can play off both sides.

Why would they pay $12m for that? Makes no sense. Why would Reddick settle for it coming off as good a year as he could hope for going into FA?

I'm not saying it's impossible. But Reddick would have to have some really bad FA action and Keim would have to sign him to a long term deal that's heavily back end weighted. Seems like very low odds.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Interior O-line is near the top of priorities with cornerback. Even Kyler can't escape when multiple rushers are on him in a flash. With the quality of the D-lines in SF & LA,
a mediocre O-line is a recipe for disaster. Murray goes down and the season is ovah.

We saw what a better O-line (GB) was able to do against the Rams in the playoffs. Upgrade this offseason!!!

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Humphries is good.
Pugh is serviceable.
Cole was bad and Gaillard the same per Kugler.
Murray is what he is which is better than Sweezy but not good.
Beachum is an older vet whose play got worse as the season went on. Struggled in the run game.

I am not getting the feeling we should be counting on Jones being more than a Justin Murray with less experience. Hopefully they are just keeping their options open so they can add either a T or G.

We need to add a top OL in FA. C or RG or RT is fine. I would prefer a C because I think that position is as important as any on the O-Line.

Murray is adequate.

Jones is starting either at guard or RT. They probably hope to resign Beechum as a backup, but if not they just need another mediocre guard and kick Murray out as the backup tackle

Center is the only position in real need of upgrade - and Galliard you can survive with.

People have unrealistic goals for this offseason. We have a 1st, as 2nd, and a 3rd in the draft where you might get a starter. We have virtually no money for any kind of a big money signing after Watt, because we have so many of our own free agents and positions to fill.

WE HAVE to get 2 CB's somehow. Byron Murphy cannot start outside, and is really not a good nickle either.

Draft in the first 3 rounds is likely CB, WR, RB in some order.

Priority in free agency has to be a starting CB - could be Peterson, but I really hope it is not - but whoever it is will not leave money for a big money center, and certainly won't leave money for a 1 dimensional pass rusher like Reddick.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Murray is adequate.

Jones is starting either at guard or RT. They probably hope to resign Beechum as a backup, but if not they just need another mediocre guard and kick Murray out as the backup tackle

Center is the only position in real need of upgrade - and Galliard you can survive with.

People have unrealistic goals for this offseason. We have a 1st, as 2nd, and a 3rd in the draft where you might get a starter. We have virtually no money for any kind of a big money signing after Watt, because we have so many of our own free agents and positions to fill.

WE HAVE to get 2 CB's somehow. Byron Murphy cannot start outside, and is really not a good nickle either.

Draft in the first 3 rounds is likely CB, WR, RB in some order.

Priority in free agency has to be a starting CB - could be Peterson, but I really hope it is not - but whoever it is will not leave money for a big money center, and certainly won't leave money for a 1 dimensional pass rusher like Reddick.
1 - Jones has proven nothing so even if you want to pencil him in somewhere, he is a complete unknown. Beachum showed to be just good enough to be your 5th best OL.

2 - You can't survive with Gaillard at C when he can't beat out Cole. That is per the O-Line coach so, I struggle with your logic here.

3 - Stop making money an issue, it isn't.

4 - We found Dre Kirkpatric on the curb last year and he was serviceable. Murphy can be ok where ever. He needs to play snaps. Can't get experience on the bench. CB can't be a strength of this team this year so why try to force it. With an upgraded pass rush, it just needs to be ok.

5 - FA priority and draft priority has to be protect Kyler Murray and give Murray the weapons he needs to execute the offense, and in that order. Anything else is just sticking your head in the sand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose