Cards Need to Fix Their Cap Now

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’m okay with the Cards going all in but as I warned before free agency the Cards started this process with only 33 players under contract. They seem to have painted themselves into a corner with Jones and will have to renegotiate that contract or cut him. I assume they won’t do the latter so they need to get it done. The same is true of Pugh. I’d bite the bullet and cut Kennard. I also thinks Hicks could be replaced for less money though admittedly it’s a bad contract to work with. Of course the straight cuts would be designated for June 1. They have to set money aside for the draft, though I’d be good on continuing to trade those picks for players, especially ones with favorable or extendable contracts like Gilmore. I want Williams and Arnold back. The TE pool has a number of Arnold level players with more to come. So if Arnold won’t go low pass on him. I only like him because he knows the offense.

I think next year’s cap will be record setting and the year after that will continue that trend. New TV contracts will settle higher than projected as the economy is about to break loose with astonishing numbers. This is a gamble worth taking and the Cards seem to read it that way as well. The time to start is now so they should get it done.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harry, Keim has repeatedly strapped this team with his assinine business plan, poor drafting and failed free agents fooling himself ( and us) into thinking his rosters are better than they are.

Overpaying Bradford AND Glennon was the start. That was the year to purge the entire roster and tank. But he was to dumb to do that.

Draft THREE Wr’s and what are we forced to do this year? Sign a 33 year old WR. Coming off his worse two years of his career.
Draft two apparent centers and we are forced to trade a 3rd round pick for a 32 year old center ( albeit a very good player) and a $9m contract.

Watch Pp21 walk away for nothing Despite a ped suspension AND demands to be traded. So zero return. Worse than that he has done NOTHING to prepare for this day believing Pp21 was a part of the puzzle to get us to the playoffs. Look at the secondary of this team. Could it be any worse?

His biggest failure is his evaluation of his rosters. He believes he can patch together and compete with bandaids, spit and promises.

Signed Campbell and Kennard last year and told us they were filet mignon. Now we’re talking about cutting Kennard.

I feel bad for Kyler and Kliff. Many believes Kliff is in over his head and perhaps he is. But he wasn’t exactly handed a stacked roster nor does he have one now. We are selling tickets and promises that Kyler Murray will win the Daytona 500 driving a horse and buggy.

He is good at one thing, trades. But that cost draft picks and inherits inflated salaries.They can restructure, cut and continue to sign over the hill free agents. Once again Keim is fooling himself ( and us) that we are THIS close. But we’re not.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m okay with the Cards going all in but as I warned before free agency the Cards started this process with only 33 players under contract. They seem to have painted themselves into a corner with Jones and will have to renegotiate that contract or cut him. I assume they won’t do the latter so they need to get it done. The same is true of Pugh. I’d bite the bullet and cut Kennard. I also thinks Hicks could be replaced for less money though admittedly it’s a bad contract to work with. Of course the straight cuts would be designated for June 1. They have to set money aside for the draft, though I’d be good on continuing to trade those picks for players, especially ones with favorable or extendable contracts like Gilmore. I want Williams and Arnold back. The TE pool has a number of Arnold level players with more to come. So if Arnold won’t go low pass on him. I only like him because he knows the offense.

I think next year’s cap will be record setting and the year after that will continue that trend. New TV contracts will settle higher than projected as the economy is about to break loose with astonishing numbers. This is a gamble worth taking and the Cards seem to read it that way as well. The time to start is now so they should get it done.

I bolded the only part of that that matters. The cuts will come and we will be fine. Nobody will miss Kennard and the others who get cut. Jones isnt a cut option.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Harry, Keim has repeatedly strapped this team with his assinine business plan, poor drafting and failed free agents fooling himself ( and us) into thinking his rosters are better than they are.

Overpaying Bradford AND Glennon was the start. That was the year to purge the entire roster and tank. But he was to dumb to do that.

Draft THREE Wr’s and what are we forced to do this year? Sign a 33 year old WR. Coming off his worse two years of his career.
Draft two apparent centers and we are forced to trade a 3rd round pick for a 32 year old center ( albeit a very good player) and a $9m contract.

Watch Pp21 walk away for nothing Despite a ped suspension AND demands to be traded. So zero return. Worse than that he has done NOTHING to prepare for this day believing Pp21 was a part of the puzzle to get us to the playoffs. Look at the secondary of this team. Could it be any worse?

His biggest failure is his evaluation of his rosters. He believes he can patch together and compete with bandaids, spit and promises.

Signed Campbell and Kennard last year and told us they were filet mignon. Now we’re talking about cutting Kennard.

I feel bad for Kyler and Kliff. Many believes Kliff is in over his head and perhaps he is. But he wasn’t exactly handed a stacked roster nor does he have one now. We are selling tickets and promises that Kyler Murray will win the Daytona 500 driving a horse and buggy.

He is good at one thing, trades. But that cost draft picks and inherits inflated salaries.They can restructure, cut and continue to sign over the hill free agents. Once again Keim is fooling himself ( and us) that we are THIS close. But we’re not.

One of the best summations in regards to the current organizations situation I have seen.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

You're spot on man. How about signing Michael Crabtree as a veteran leader, and then paying him 2.5 million bucks to go away because he was a team cancer.

It all stems from bad drafting. If his draft picks hit, his misses elsewhere would be covered up.

Im in for a one/two year "all in run". Trade away draft picks, bring in vets, push the cap the limits, and lets go win a SB in the next 2 years. Then, we will probably enter a decade long rebuild....but I still think I prefer that to not winning anything and being mediocre.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You're spot on man. How about signing Michael Crabtree as a veteran leader, and then paying him 2.5 million bucks to go away because he was a team cancer.

It all stems from bad drafting. If his draft picks hit, his misses elsewhere would be covered up.

Im in for a one/two year "all in run". Trade away draft picks, bring in vets, push the cap the limits, and lets go win a SB in the next 2 years. Then, we will probably enter a decade long rebuild....but I still think I prefer that to not winning anything and being mediocre.
lol at thinking this team is anywhere near a Super Bowl. Keim is just trying to squeeze another year or two of salary out of MB.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
lol at thinking this team is anywhere near a Super Bowl. Keim is just trying to squeeze another year or two of salary out of MB.

Im not saying we are SB frontrunners, but if EITHER Watt or Green has one more monster HOF/MVP/DPOY type year, then we might very well make some noise in the playoffs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not saying we are SB frontrunners, but if EITHER Watt or Green has one more monster HOF/MVP/DPOY type year, then we might very well make some noise in the playoffs.

does Keim have Doc Brown's DeLorean because the last time either of those guys had one of those years was FOUR YEARS AGO.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
does Keim have Doc Brown's DeLorean because the last time either of those guys had one of those years was FOUR YEARS AGO.

Again..Im not saying its likely....but if there is any hope for a bounceback year, I would put more faith in a guy like Watt or Green who have been elite talents before.

I think its just as likely that Watt gets back to 75% of his best self than it is that Reddick puts up 12 sacks again

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
But IF he had his DeLorean the MAYBE we could IMAGINE ....You know what they say about if’s and buts..
"I'm sure that in 2051, 32 year old MVPs are available in every corner drugstore, but in 2021, it's a little hard to come by."

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The one thing I don't think people mention enough is Steve Keim is just a small part of our draft process.

Yes he makes the final decision, but he is not really the one creating the draft board.

I think the teams scouting department must stink, and a simple replacement of the GM may very well not fix the draft issues as long as they remain.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We were bad games away against Detroit. New England. Miami. And really the last 2 games of the season. We could have easily been 11-5. I don’t think we are that far off. We didn’t killed in any game. I mean most of our losses even at Seattle could have been won. We are not as far off as some of you believe

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just hope Watt can get Jones playing hard. I think Green is a upgrade over Larry and I hate to say that.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The one thing I don't think people mention enough is Steve Keim is just a small part of our draft process.

Yes he makes the final decision, but he is not really the one creating the draft board.

I think the teams scouting department must stink, and a simple replacement of the GM may very well not fix the draft issues as long as they remain.

Did we have a big overhaul of our scouting team when Keim took over? Or not much since he was hired from within? I agree that the whole dept has failed or he isn’t trusting the right scouts. I have no idea how this process plays out exactly come draft day

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
At the moment, I'm not hyped expect for the Center. We have really holes in the backfield at the moment.

As of now, we aren't really better than last year on D, More or less the same at O and a little bit better at ST.

I would argue, that no upgrade on D, O and only slightly on ST doesn't give us another 2 wins, that we would need. But maybe we draft Etienne and he bursts on the field, or we get a CB and he plays great. But for now. I don't see us being way better than what we were last year. But than again, last year we were close to be 6th seed 3 games before the end of the season. But for now, nothing special or exciting. We will see how good Sea,49ers and Rams will be, we can only go so far as we can win in our division. The C addition helps against the Rams but I don't know if losing Reddick hurts us against Seattle. And from the WR, I didn't value AJ Green as high in the last 3 years as others and often before that even not that high, but we will see.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The New York Times just reported, “The N.F.L. signed new media rights agreements with CBS, NBC, Fox, ESPN and Amazon collectively worth about $110 billion over 11 years, nearly doubling the value of its previous contracts.” I guess I got that one right.

Morty

Veteran
Reaction score
The New York Times just reported, “The N.F.L. signed new media rights agreements with CBS, NBC, Fox, ESPN and Amazon collectively worth about $110 billion over 11 years, nearly doubling the value of its previous contracts.” I guess I got that one right.
Nice - now that you are on a roll - stock suggestions? :)

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yes, but he is responsible for it

he is responsible for picking every scout that contributes to it

and, he does watch film and scout himself

Does he really pick the scouts - I'm not sure about that.

I have a strong feeling if he is fired Bidwill would just promote Adrian Wilson and all the scouts would stay the same.