NAU - ASU Football game - August 31st

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Grow up son.

NAU runs a 3-4-4 defense...Name 1 other college that runs the same D and still gets 35 points scored on them...

As far as ua, name a team that can actually only score 16 points on BYU(that's a horrible offense that ua has)...Even though 7 of those shouldn't have counted...

Congrats on the victory tonight, but don't think for a second that ua has actually scored a TD this season.

good luck against LSU.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Haha - we will see. If we look as bad tonight against BYU as you did against NAU i will be back tomorrow morning eating crow. I wouldn't count on it though....Looks like the surpassing of ASU football is going to come a year earlier than i thought....;)

So what say you? You guys looked pretty bad against a not so good BYU team.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Card Trader said:

Admitedlly I would have like for the entire team to look better and more importantly Tuitama to look better. Stoops had been raving about his accuracy all off season and he ended up going 19-39 which makes me think he was as anxious for this game as the rest of Wildcat nation..

But lets make one thing very clear. John Beck is a NFL QB. Bronco Meldenhall is a good coach. I remember watching Beck against ND last year and IMHO i thought he was the best pro style QB i had seen all year outside of Quinn and Lienart (and ironically maybe Sam Keller). I would have liked to come out and thump them but I'll take the win.

But this was not a Division 2 team we were playing either. Lets put it this way. If Murrietta comes out looking like Carson Palmer than John Beck would have shredded you guys and you would have lost by 10+ to this team.

I guess I will put down the Kool-aid for a week or so because i am no where near as confident of a good showing against LSU but we shall see. Hopefully you guys don't lose to Colorado. Now that would be embarassing.....

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Card Trader said:

One thing to take away is that our defense is absolutely big league.......I can't wait for Louis Holmes to smash Carpenter in the mouth.....;)

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Laughable that you even thought for a minute you would compete against LSU.

You guys aren't near as talented as ASU.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Card Trader said:

Thats debatable...You have a first round quality tight end we have the top rated cornerback in the NCAA (as a junior). Our QB is more of an NFL prospect than yours (no sidearm motion and stronger arm) and our last two freshman classes have been superiorly rated to yours. If its debatable this year one more offseason like the last will put an end to the debate.

And you can have your "more talent" this year....i still think we will beat you head to head when you come down to tucson and despite our lackluster showing on offense yesterday - i think our defense is good enough where we won't embaress ourselves in Baton Rouge.

Keep running your mouth Sun Devil - So far we are both 1-0 and we beat the superior team. I think we are better than you guys but i'll let the football team do my talking for me. You are just like your football program Cardtrader: All talk (Sun Devil Footbal rule # 1 - Don't talk about National Championships and Rose Bowls until you can convincingly pound a division 2 opponent like every other powerhouse in the nation) and no bite.

You guys have always had talent. Call me when you guys quit playing like the Tin-man. And this year might be a big turning point in Valley football allegiance. If the local NFL team has the season you and I are both expecting - I don't see the Devils EVER getting it back if they fail to show up this year....You guys are on the clock......

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had the choice between Carpenter and Tuitama, I'll take the guy that had twice as many yards, nearly twice as many touchdowns, less than half as many interceptions, and a better completion percentage and QB rating in just as many starts last season.

Why Tuitama is considered to be some sort of mystical magical trump card is way beyond me.

Last edited:

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Card Trader said:

The Cats haven't been near as talented as ASU the last two seasons, yet UofA won once and likely would have won twice had their starting RB and QB not gotten hurt during the game.

Last edited:

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Card Trader said:

The only thing that needs to be said is ASU is on the decline with Koeter while the Cats are on the rise with Stoops.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
If I had the choice between Carpenter and Tuitama, I'll take the guy that had twice as many yards, nearly twice as many touchdowns, less than half as many interceptions, and a better completion percentage and QB rating in just as many starts last season.

Why Tuitama is considered to be some sort of mystical magical trump card is way beyond me.

Do you know who Know who Kliff Kingsbury is? Yeah - no one else does either;)

He is the record setting QB from texas tech a few years ago. He threw for 5017 yards in 2002. What abput BJ symons? The next year in the same scheme he threw for 5833 yards! There TD passes were astronomically high as well. So does that make them better QB's than Matt Leinart was last year?

Its the system bro. Thats an misguided way to evaluate QBs. Tui has the better arm, throwing motion and arm velocity - not to mention mobility. He just looks more natural in the pocket too but thats just my IMO. Carpenter is an self admitted overachiever. Those guys can be successful in college but scouts look for measurables along with production. Further more Keller is a much bigger pro prospect than Carpenter for those same reasons.

Carpenter is going to put up numbers but lets see who gets the wins.....

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
....and just to keep the good times coming. Here is a excerpt from an article discussing the predicted trends in football this year. This is under the writer's pick for "FLOPS". Two of the four picked ASU. This is from a week ago and the only reason i found it is because one of the writers cited his choice from a week earlier as taking declining even sooner than expected after seeing this past weeks game....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/cory_mccartney/09/03/week1/index.html

McCartney: Arizona State. The offense is sensational, but a porous defense will again cost coach Dirk Koetter big time, especially with a three-game stretch against Cal, Oregon and USC. Add in trips to Oregon State and Arizona, and the No. 16 team in SI's preview could end up with five losses.

Beech: Arizona State. It made SI's top 20, but that was before Koetter spazzed out and named two starting quarterbacks in the span of 48 hours. The coach had better hope Rudy Carpenter is the right man for the job.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Card Trader said:
About as laughable as the ASU to the Rose Bowl and the "Louis Holmes sucks despite being recruited by every elite team in the country" predictions that were flying around a few weeks ago. I just hope the Cats can keep everyone healthy and the score respectable.

When looking at how the rest of the conference fared this week both UA and ASU will be lucky to finish better than fourth this season. They both look eerily similar to last year's teams and UCLA, Oregon, and USC all looked terrific.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn