My Expectation for Contributors this Season

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
I'm sure most will disagree with a some of the things I may put here; but that's ok cause it's not you're thread lol. Here's my list of every position and what I can realistically expect this season. When they actually start happening and I get upset that were not winning every game, I can come back here and see that we may be taking just the right steps that I wanted to. With that being said, here we go:

QB -

Kevin Kolb: I don't expect him to be perfect at ANYTHING except working to get better. The first year can be rough on any player, most of all Quarterback. I'm not like most of you who are upset with the DRC and a 2 for Kolb but to me I find it rather fare. DRC has two years left on his deal. He will need to be resigned and if we hadn't just drafted a better Corner (at the 5th pick he better be!) and 5 seasons from now may not be able to resign Patrick Peterson depending on what you want to pay two corners. If you could get a QB of the future out of something that just didn't make sense long term, I'm all for it. Either way I didn't think we'd be signing DRC long term so this just sweetened the pot. WITH THAT BEING SAID, he is a pro bowl caliber corner. I expect the same in a couple season from Kevin Kolb, but this year I'm willing to slide a little bit.

John Skelton: I expect him to read defenses better than he did last season. The one play that sticks out to me (and I forget what game) is when Fitz had to either run deep or run a slant based on coverage. The coverage forced him to cut inside and Skelton BOMBS it deep without a receiver in site. Unacceptable this season. I expect mistakes, lots of them to be precise, but he HAS to know where the hell his receivers are going. If he throws into coverage because he didn't read the coverage right, whatever. Whiz said he was a 2-3 year project and I'm willing to give him that but throwing into a vicinity of nobody is embarrassing.

RB -

Beanie Wells: I expect 1,500 TOTAL yards and 4 or less fumbles. He's being looked at to "be the man" and he better play like it. Picking up the blitz NEEDS to be better entering his 3rd season. I don't know where he will line up on certain packages so I don't know what to expect in TD's but that doesn't bother me in this offense anyway. All I expect Beanie to do is contribute on ALL levels of the running game and not just running the ball.

Ryan Williams: I expect him to play like a rookie running back. Finding holes and doing whatever it takes to get through them. I do not expect him to pick up the blitz early but I'm hoping it gets better by the end of the year. I know he said that's a big thing the coaches want him to work on and I think its one thing were going to sorely miss with Hightower no longer being here. The good thing is Kolb never had Hightower to pick up a blitz anyway so its not like he feels like he's missing something anyway. Biggest things is I want him to be the player Beanie can't. Having two totally different backs is a luxury that I really would like to have.

Larod Stevens-Howling: I expect him to be Larod lol. I expect him to be the small explosive guy that can usually pop through somewhere completely unexpected and fly past the opposing defense. The return game will be his biggest asset but we keep hearing how much more they want to give him the ball (without over doing it). More excited to see this guy than I originally thought I'd be but he's an exciting player and I'm expecting him to play like it again this season.

FB -

Reagan Mauia or Anthony Sherman: I feel like we'll only keep one (and I think it will be Mauia with Sherman going to practice squad) and all I expect is some good blocking. Having a powerhouse FB is not something we've had in a long long time and I'm not expecting a whole lot out of this group, although it would be nice. Here's hoping this is one I can look back on later and smile cause it's better than expected.

TE -

Todd Heap: I expect him to take over Anquan Boldins spot from a couple of years ago (I know he's a TE but hear me out). The thing Q did for us was he was the guy who could get the ball anywhere on the field and at least get you the first down. I know they play NOTHING alike but I expect Heap to be that "go-to-guy" when you absolutely need a first. Anything more than that is just a luxury I've never seen at TE for the Cardinals. This unit should be special from what we're used to and I hope the play reflects that.

Jeff King: I expect the same things you all expect. The running game needs to be improved when this guy in is the game. On passing downs he may be running on the field but on running plays, we need his blocking to be a threat like Heaps catching. It's key for our running game. Our tackles are not fast enough to keep up with quick DE or OLB but having King out there needs to put us at an advantage or its just a waste of time to have him out there. You all say he's a blocking machine, well he better play like it. VERY interested to see Jeff King play cause again, could be VERY special if all works out like it says on paper.

Rob Housler: I know, I know; he's not even third string yet…but he better be by the end of the season, UNLESS Jim Dray has played well enough to take that spot. If Steven Spach still holds that position by seasons end then I'm going to be EXTREMELY upset with scouting of this staff. You do not take a guy in the 3rd round with BLAZING speed (at TE none the less!) and not find a way to get him on the field in some capacity. Just seems ridiculous to me.

WR -

Larry Fitzgerald - I expect him to be Larry Fitzgerald lol. There isn't a whole lot to add, because no matter what my expectation of him aren't going to be more than what he expect out of himself. I expect him to be our franchise player, the guy that stands out on the field above everyone else just because he's that good.

Andre Roberts: Here's where it gets interesting. A lot of you expect him to be the number 2 receiver but that's just not an offense we run. When Anquan left, Steve Breaston didn't just start running all Anquans old routes. Breaston stayed in the slot but was moved out when we only had 2 receivers on the field. He still ran the same routes as the season before though. Early tried taking some of Anquans old routes and some worked, some didn't, but regardless we don't have "defined WR 1, WR 2, and WR 3. Having said that, I expect Andre Roberts to take over a lot of Steve Breastons old workload (from routes to playing time). He showed last season he is basically the same type of player skill wise and I'm expecting him to play like it. He has a lot to prove in my opinion but it seems like the coaches feel he's ready for it. I pray their right.

Early Doucet: This is a make or break season for me with Doucet. The guy has shown flashes of BRILLIANCE but the injury bug just doesn't leave him alone! Honestly I feel like he should be going into this season as our second best receiver but I still feel like he's just way behind the ball. If him playing consistently doesn't happen this year; next year I'm looking to fill his spot. Time to put up or shut up in my opinion.

4th receiver: I just expect someone to contribute. For some strange reason I feel like Housler may see some time here but we'll see. Actually a very interesting fight for this spot this year. Should make an interesting pre-season.

LT -

Levi Brown: I feel the same way about Levi that I do about Early, BUT EVEN MORE! I'm not like most of you saying "he needs to be better than Adrian Peterson because we passed on him for this loaf!" but I am in the boat saying he darn well better be our best offensive lineman! The guy was the 5th freaking pick overall. He should be our mauler and it feels like he's our weak link! I gave him a pass last year based on the fact he moved to the other side; but that was last year and this is this year. This year he NEEDS to step up or next year he's looking for a new job. What's weak is I'm not even expecting him to be our best player! I'm just expecting him not to be a weak link in the system!

LG -

Daryn Colledge: I expect him to be our best player on the line. The guy's brought in from a Superbowl winning team, he's started almost 96% of his games, and he's very athletic for a guard. Faneca did a VERY good job last year (despite a lot of contrary belief…look at tape…) and unless Colledge plays at a high level, we may see our line get worse. We need this spot to stay consistent or we are doomed up front…

C -

Lyle Sendlein: I agree with most saying this guy is a much better player than we expected him to be…but still not good enough. He still gets beat off the line and still can be a problem in our running game. I'm not exactly sure why we haven't looked at upgrading this position, but the coaches trust him and I trust the coaches. Again, I just want consistency (seems to be a common point in talk of O-Lineman…hmm…Isn't a guy named Russ Grimm coaching these guys?! Wth?!)

RG -

Rex Hadnot: I really don't know what to expect here because I truly expect Duece to take over this role by the start of the season. Again, common theme is consistency…

RT -

Brandon Keith: This spot's a little different. Last season the coaches were raving on how good they thought this kid would be (and he didn't look THAT bad). He had a couple mental lapses and it got our QB blindsided, but he did show that he could play with the limited time he was in there. My only expectation this year for him is to show all of us just what the coaches see in him; and play like it. Don't think it's that much to ask from a starting RT in this league.

------------------------------------------------------------------

DE -

Darnell Dockett: In all honesty I'm not expecting much out of Dockett this year. Maybe even the rest of his career here. In the Steelers defense the DE is used to help the rushing OLB get leverage around the end. It's a position that guys fade in and out of. It's not a position you really need a guy like Darnell Dockett. I hope I'm wrong and I hope they find a way to get him into the backfield but to me, Dockett just isn't the nasty beast he could be if he played in a 4-3. Being an end 3-4 greatly diminishes what he's good at. It sucks, but it's the truth.

Calais Cambell: I actually expect Calais to be the better end this season. He's a huge guy that can throw his hands up and block down passes at almost any time. Again to me he is not what you look for in a 3-4 defensive end but I think he can add more to the fold being 6'8 than Darnells 6'3. I really think not having some true 3-4 defensive ends could hurt us (and watching the way we've played defense the last couple years doesn't help an argument against it).

DT -

Dan Williams: I expect him to be the force he was picked up to be. He's EXACTLY what you want in a 3-4 NT. If his play can improve from last season, we may have a very nice piece in this defense for the next couple years. I expect the run to be stopped when the play call for it up the gut. That's what he's there for and I expect him to produce.

OLB -

Joey Porter: I had no problems with Porters play last year. He was not brought here to produce. Much like Alan Faneca he was brought he to show the younger guys how it's done. By the looks of it he did just that with O'Brien Schofield. If our younger players a better because Joey Porter was here to be their instructor on the field, he was worth every penny. I expect him to play SIGNIFICANTLY less but I expect that mouth the be running 7 days a week. The attitude needs to breathe life into our defense on every play. It's been one of his best features of years and I expect it to continue. If brought in on passing situations but subbed for in other packages, I'll be fine with another 5 sack season.

Clark Haggans: Much like Joey Porter I expect him to be the starting guy, but only because I don't feel he's properly been unseated for his spot. Until someone comes along and forces him to pay behind him, Haggans has a soft spot for me on this defense. He plays all out and his work ethic is something to EXTREMELY admire (even though he doesn't get NEARLY enough credit for it). He's a perfect mentor for our young players, BUT…

O'Brien Schofield: I expect some BIG time things from Schofield this year. He may not start but he better play. We passed on almost every OLB out there and there's no chance their looking for Joey Porter or Clark Haggans to step up their play and be great players of old. If they do were in for a VERY rough season. The guy needs to be in the backfield. He has shown some great flashes and had an awesome offseason workout from everything thats been said. I just expect his play to emulate that. We NEED him to be successful. It's not a want. If we don't have it, were up that creak everyone says you don't want to be on with no paddle.

Will Davis: Again, make or break season for me here. It's not like were asking him to break the wall and beat out two all class world beaters. Lets be realistic. Were asking him to beat out a 34 year old Clark Haggans. If he can't at least show he's up to the task next season, I'm going a different route (truth be told, I would have like to have gone another route THIS season).

ILB -

Daryl Washington: We moved up to get him; but they SWEAR they would have taken him where we picked Dan Williams had Williams not been there. Well, time to show why. He's incredibly fast and I hear he's gained some weight. I don't need him crushing people but he should be able to cover a zone or stick to a TE on coverage. His head seemed to be swimming last season with information but this is his second season. I don't need him to be the next greatest thing on the field, but I would like to see him be the best 2nd year ILB in the league. I don't think that's to much to ask.

Stewart Bradley: I know Paris Lenon starts (as well he should with his play last season…ouch to the rest of our defense) but Stewart Bradley didn't take a 5 year contract to sit on the bench. This guy is being called "the guy that should play like a pro bowler" but that's not where my expectations lie. I just want him to stuff the run and get in the backfield when necessary. If he can stay healthy then I expect him to be one of our best defensive players. He was brought in he to shore up that spot, and by God he better do it. If not then we might possibly have the WORST LB core in the entire NFL next season. Not something I look forward to when our theme of the defense is "pressure".

CB -

Greg Toler: I think in Ray Hortons defense he should really flourish. The guy is the definition of "small guys that can hit". I honestly expect this guy to be our number 1 corner or number 2 at least. If he plays ends up being our 3rd corner, were in luck.

Patrick Peterson: We did it! We took the guy with the last name Peterson at #5!! LoL The kids got talent, that undeniable, but it's his rookie season. We'll probably see some freak of nature things from him but I don't expect him to be able to play with QB's mind like I will in the next couple season. He should hold guys down for the most part. He'll get picked on at times (and he'll probably give up a few TD's in the process) but he'll improve and we all know it just takes time. Just glad we get to witness his story cause he has all the makings to be a great player one day.

Richard Marshall: I don't know if many of you know this, but when Ray Horton was signed as our DC I said this guy would be the perfect fit in this system. When the coaches did to I was ECSTATIC (not because we got a good player but because for once THEY THOUGHT LIKE I DID!!). This guy plays just like Toler (if not a little more refined by this point in his career). IMO (I have to keep saying that or what I say comes back to bite me in the…) he could be a better corner than DRC EVER could in this system. Extremely excited to see what this unit can do but expectation are not real high. To many "unknowns" to have high expectations.

SS -

Adrian Wilson: I expected him to be better than last season but after yet another injury I just want to see him back on the field. He doesn't have many seasons left and he's been my favorite Cardinal for years. It feels like the Adrian Wilson story is coming to an end and if it's littered with the injury bug for the rest of his career, it's a travesty. The guy just deserves a better story. He deserves to be healthy the last couple seasons he has left. Here's hoping he can do that.

Rashad Johnson: But if he can't then I expect Rashad to be a better player than Wilson was LAST SEASON. Lets face it, Wilson was a liability at times last year. He couldn't cover a TE to save his life. Whoever lines up to start NEEDS to be able to do that. If Rashad is starting then it's his job to hold the position down. He was a VERY good player at 'Bama and with the offseason he had with Adrian Wilson, he should be a much better player this year. The coaching staff is all very high on him so it's time to put up or shut up. If he completely flops, I look in the draft for a replacement SS and move him right back to FS for last ditch effort. He can be Rhodes backup for all I care at that point.

FS -

Kerry Rhodes: The guy was the best player on our defense last year and I fully expect him to be again. If his play slips, were doomed and I really mean that. Here's to you Kerry…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well there you go. Having read it all back over I guess I don't expect a whole lot out of this team this year. If were good like we all hope we are, then that's great. But with all the question marks we have on defense, the thing were relying on the most is new coaching. That bothers me. I'm the biggest Cardinals fan I know and will root them on the rest of my life but this year to me looks like another "learning" year. If we win this division at 8-8 I'll be ecstatic. But even that's a lot to ask after a 5-11 season.

One things for SURE though…I CANT WAIT TILL TOMORROW!!!

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
Epic write up :notworthy:. I agree with the great majority of it. Very similar thoughts run through my head and if I had the time I would have written something very similar.:clapping:

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Moe----that was an extremely astute work-up. You have a fine sense for realistic results and expectations. At the same time, you seem to understand where and when it is time to expect more from a player than what has been given up till now. I do like your assessment very much. I agree with your expectations and hopes.

Like you, I don't look for a huge jump in the number of wins from last year. I do look for a huge jump in personal commitment by each player this season however, and that by itself should translate to more wins than last year. All in all, this seems to be a good group of players to be fielding this year. We really need them to be ALL IN with their passion to play this game, and to have each other's backs. I believe we have the overall character that can provide that passion and commitment this year. While we have some real talent on the field, I feel that we more importantly have the right mix of character, willingness to share and help each other out, and the willingness to help teach those that have not yet learned how to play 'team' football. I do like the leadership qualities that seem to be falling into place in each of the units.

I sincerely hope that some of our more talented players have finally learned to be smarter with their efforts this year. I hope to see much less of the formerly 'wild' efforts to individually rush the opposing QB, only to see the player run right by a back who is carrying the ball without so much as hampering his progress down field. I hope for more controlled aggression that results in containment and gang tackling as opposed to the old 'sell out to individually excel' philosophy that has prevailed for so long with some of our more talented players. In any event, simply seeing a genuine passion and willingness to compete, (to get back up when knocked down), and to take the fight to the opponent will go far to make my season much more palatable than last year.

Thanks for your workup. Good stuff there.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good stuff. I would say the two guys were counting on most this year is schofield (by far) and the two tackles (keith, levi). Ig either of those two areas are disasters it will be a big problem..

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Moe, thank you very much for a great writeup, even though you left out Special Teams, where I expect us to be very good. As far as going from 5-11 to 8-8, it's not that unusual, though I'm not saying we'll do it. Injuries, imo, will determine whether we go 5-11 or 8-8, or thereabouts. Again, great job.

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
Man that stuff gets me pumped.

Super write up.

Tonight should be interesting.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice post Moe, but I'm going to disagree with you on 1 point.

The Cardinals, or any NFL team, spend an awfu lot of money on scouting and the draft. When we draft a player we are hoping beyond hope that the player becomes a star.When and if a player lives up or exceeds those expectations, WE NEED TO FIND A WAY TO KEEP THEM!

How do we do that. Well, we deal with the player a year PRIOR to his final year of his contract. The problem with the Cardinal FO is they hedge their bet almost like they are not sure that player is the real deal and want to make sure.

You can't operate a football team with the thought "We probably won't be able to resign him in 2 years". Does that mean that 2 years from now if the best player available is a CB that we just let PP31 walk away (assuming at this point he is everything we expect him to be)?

We cannot continue to let guys like Dansby, Rolle, DRC and Breaston get away. How much more would your expectations for this defense be if we could plug Dansby, Rolle (by moving him to SS in light of Wilsons injury) and DRC into this defense?

There are 2 major mistakes this FO made over the last few years.

1. Not recognizing Leinart sucked and was never going to take over as Warners replacment. The result of that lead to last years nightmare.
2. Not getting Fitz's contract done LAST year when we were 30M under the cap. That is exactly my point about our front office. We need to be proactive and not reactive to star players or star players in the making instead of looking at the player as a "bargain" for the remainder of his contract.

Good teams do this and is one of the reasons why they remain on the top. We need this FO to start being proactive rather than reactive to core players. Sometimes you have to go out on a limb and trust the reason you drafted or acquired a player.
Breaston could have been given a long term deal 2 years ago and he would still be here. Say what you want about Andre Roberts, but Breaston was a solid and dedicated player. Having him here today would make us a better team. Why? Depth.

We need to learn how to build and add on to our roster instead of replacing very good players.
Sadly, I don't expect the FO to get this.

Tip for the FO. If Kolb goes out and lights it up like we all hope he does and he's leads us to a wild card, a couple playoff wins over the next 3 years, do us a favor and don't wait until he is in the final year of his contract to resign him.
That's what I expect.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't expect anything; because there are so many variables that can affect the performance if each individual player and ultimately the team.

Injuries can erase a player from the depth chart - sometimes for the entire season.

Ironically, those very same injuries can open the door for a backup willing able to step up and sieze the opportunity.

Some players will pleasantly surprise (& in a few cases amaze) us.

Others will disappoint.

Still others won't amaze or disappoint, but merely fade into oblivion.

And occasionally, an opponent will make a sick play that no one could have predicted or conversely hand us a huge turnover or TD on a silver platter.

For these reasons - in order to keep what little sanity I have left - I try to approach the season with no expectations and an "it is what it is" approach to whatever happens.

All that said; my gut points in the direction that, on paper - even without Kolb - this is a better team than it was a year ago. And that the addition of Kolb appears to give us the steady QB presence that stood between us and the playoffs last season.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Good read. I agree with alot of it.

I think we have improved. It should be a fun season, unlike last year.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Seriously--great, great post! Reading it made me realize how many players to watch there are on the roster. Just Kolb, Roberts, Heap, Wells, Williams, Washington, Peterson by themselves are more than reason enough to watch with interest. Not that we wouldn't be anyway.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great write up. I will also be watching the guys at NT after Williams.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Very nice read.

Re: RB - FB

Last season we carried 4 RB and a FB (5) and, as such, I wouldn't be surprised we go with 3 RB and 2 FB.

Doubt very much that Sherman who was drafted for his additional ability as a ST will be cut and exposed.

QB (3)
RB (3) - (a fourth on PS)
FB (2)
TE (4)
WO (5)
OL (8) - (OT and Centre on PS)

The question is whether they carry a 9th OL at the expense of a 4th TE or 2nd FB

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Players I expect to have good years and to be big time contributors:

Kolb, Stewart Bradley, Brandon Keith, Daryl Washingon, Dan Williams.

I expect bounce back years from:

Dockett, Joey Porter, Levi Brown, Adrian Wilson, Fitz, Beanie, and Wiz

Players I expect to regress:

Kerry Rhodes, Haggans, Greg Toler, Deuce

If our best players are Kolb, Fitz, Dockett, Daryl Washington, and Dan Williams we are gong to have a very good year IMO

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Solid post Moe. I am really looking forward to seeing how many of our players do in the Oakland game. I am hoping that Stewart Bradley is the real deal as well as Kolb.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
- Agree on the QB situation. I don't expect dramatic changes but just an improvement to solid play would better this team 10 fold.

- At TE, look for King to be on the field more than Todd heap. There have been a few quotes here and there that the coaches are extremely happy with King and his blocking. I believe we will be, too. Housler will make the roster.

- WR, I think we are in trouble, and we will be in serious, serious trouble if Fitzgerald goes down. I do not think there is enough talent there to be competitive.

- OT. I think Brandon Keith, even more than last year, has some serious competition from Bridges this offseason. Levi Brown is to the tackle position what Sendlein is to our center position.

- NT, After seeing some shots of David Carter, I feel much better about this position. I think Carter is going to surprise us all, and work together with Williams.

- OLB This position reminds me of our TE core before this season. Underwhelming.

- S, It is going to be a long season. I don't have a lot of faith in Rashad Johnon. Matt Ware has been a shell of what he was since he hurt his neck. Adrian Wilson should be put on the shelf, IMO.

Just my 2 cents.

Great post, Moe.

Reaction score
OUTSTANDING post Moe!! :raccoon::raccoon:

Some comments:
Kevin Kolb: I am not sold on Kolb, but I am hopeful. I figure that with just average QB play last season the Cardinals would have won the division. So if the Cardinals get average QB play out of Kolb, which isn't unrealistic, they should compete for the division title this season.

Beanie Wells: There will be some division of responsibilities at RB so I would be satisfied with 1200-1300 yards production from Wells.

Ryan Williams: If he contributes in a positive fashion It'll be good!

Larod Stevens-Howling: I believe that R2D2's contributions will be pretty much the same as last season.

Todd Heap: Everything about Heap depends upon his level of health. He will play hurt, but if he does his contribution will be greatly diminished. If healthy all season he may be the greatest improvement the Cardinals make this year!

Jeff King: I don't know that much about King, but he has got to be of some help.

Larry Fitzgerald: Undisputed face of the franchise - I hope his on-field frustrations of last season (who can blame him) are a thing of the past.

Early Doucet: Yep, put up or go home...

Levi Brown: ...but I am in the boat saying he darn well better be our best offensive lineman!

Daryn Colledge: I expect him to be our best player on the line.
They can't both be the best... :billthecat: But I think I get your point.
Lyle Sendlein: I'm not exactly sure why we haven't looked at upgrading this position, but the coaches trust him and I trust the coaches.
I believe that for the position of center there are more important factors than what is observable as a fan. The center must be the QB of the offensive line, i.e.- he makes the calls; and unlike the QB he isn't just calling what came in from the sideline, he has to know and make the right decisions. Intelligence (football smarts) and Leadership are what is most critcal here. If a center fullfills those two items and his physical play is at least close to average; which I believe is the case with Sendlein; you stick with him.

Again, I just want consistency (seems to be a common point in talk of O-Lineman…hmm…Isn't a guy named Russ Grimm coaching these guys?! Wth?!)
Grimm is still talked about by many knowledgeable persons as a very good coach. But, in my opinion Grimm has gotten lazy, and that is reflected in those under his charge, the linemen.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Darnell Dockett: In all honesty I'm not expecting much out of Dockett this year. Maybe even the rest of his career here. In the Steelers defense the DE is used to help the rushing OLB get leverage around the end. It's a position that guys fade in and out of. It's not a position you really need a guy like Darnell Dockett. I hope I'm wrong and I hope they find a way to get him into the backfield but to me, Dockett just isn't the nasty beast he could be if he played in a 4-3. Being an end 3-4 greatly diminishes what he's good at. It sucks, but it's the truth.

Calais Cambell: I actually expect Calais to be the better end this season. He's a huge guy that can throw his hands up and block down passes at almost any time. Again to me he is not what you look for in a 3-4 defensive end but I think he can add more to the fold being 6'8 than Darnells 6'3. I really think not having some true 3-4 defensive ends could hurt us (and watching the way we've played defense the last couple years doesn't help an argument against it).
Good points. The role of the DE in the 3-4 is to stabilize the line and enable the LB's to make plays and be featured. This is exactly why Pittsburgh's LB always stand out. Moe is correct that DE role is more suited to Cambell than Dockett. Dockett himself is geared to be a playmaker, not to enable others to do so. In that respect he is mis-cast. However, when NINE-0 gets uncorked and has a good game, he sure is fun to watch!

Dan Williams: I expect him to be the force he was picked up to be. He's EXACTLY what you want in a 3-4 NT. If his play can improve from last season, we may have a very nice piece in this defense for the next couple years. I expect the run to be stopped when the play call for it up the gut. That's what he's there for and I expect him to produce.
When I see pictures of Williams he appears too soft to be effective, but I think that impression may be due to his seemingly always smiling baby-face. I liked what I saw from him on the field last season and should he continue to improve he could be a real force in another season or two.

Joey Porter: Let me just say, I am glad he took a reduction in pay...

Clark Haggans:
He's a perfect mentor for our young players, BUT…
:yeahthat:

O'Brien Schofield: I expect some BIG time things from Schofield this year. He may not start but he better play. We passed on almost every OLB out there and there's no chance their looking for Joey Porter or Clark Haggans to step up their play and be great players of old. If they do were in for a VERY rough season. The guy needs to be in the backfield. He has shown some great flashes and had an awesome offseason workout from everything thats been said. I just expect his play to emulate that. We NEED him to be successful. It's not a want. If we don't have it, were up that creak everyone says you don't want to be on with no paddle.
BIM: creek Other than that, EXACTLY!! :thumbup:

Will Davis: (truth be told, I would have like to have gone another route THIS season).
Again, it can't be any more succinct.

Daryl Washington: This kid is fighting an uphill battle in the fans eyes, simply due the fact that he is seen as Karlos Dansby's replacement. Tough shoes to fill. What we need from D-dub is improvement, not a sophomore slump!

Stewart Bradley: Bradley has got to be the glue to the entire defense! It's a big role to fill but he has he ability to fill it. I won't say that I expect it, but it is what is needed!

Greg Toler: I think in Ray Hortons defense he should really flourish. The guy is the definition of "small guys that can hit".
Except at 6'0" - 192 lbs. Toler isn't small for NFL CB's, but average. :shrug:

Patrick Peterson: Hope springs eternal! It's my hope is 4 years from now the Cardinals don't have another 1st round pick that "doesn't fit what we are doing as an organization."

Richard Marshall: He won't WOW! anyone, but he will play Ray Horton's defensive scheme better than DRC would have.

Adrian Wilson: Damn, damn, damn!!! - my reaction when I heard of Wilson's injury. I wonder if Wilson has become too muscle-bound to have the flexibility required in football, and that it's a contributing factor to his injuries? I expect A-dub to be key to Horton's scheme much like the role (but not the same role) that Polamalu plays in Pittsburgh. So he needs to get and stay healthy!

Kerry Rhodes: He was the best, most consistent defensive player last season. I hope that he repeats that, but yet is overshadowed by other's on the defense that have upped their game to where we don't notice Rhodes much!

BRING IT ON BIG RED!!

OP
OP
MoeIsBetter

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
They can't both be the best... :billthecat: But I think I get your point.

I meant Levi SHOULD be the best player on our line (based off where drafted) but I'm by no means expecting it lol.

Thanks everyone for their replies! We may all have our moments of doom and gloom or sunshine and roses, but in the end this is the BEST place to be a Cardinal fan :D

OP
OP
MoeIsBetter

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
Bumping this just to show that we all knew they would not be a very good team this year. I hope we start to see some improvements as we enter the second half of the season but we all knew we'd see a lot of growing pains. History has definitely proven that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard