Musings and other pot pourri

spanky

All Star
Reaction score
I didn't realize that we've not allowed a passing TD in the last two games......interesting, especially when you consider SF has Garcia to Owens. Now I realize that Garcia is a wounded buckaroo but nevertheless........an interesting stat. If they can do this again on Sunday can it be that we might be on to something?

I'm guessing that Dillon starts.......but which Dillon will show up.......will it be the moody, sore hamstring Dillon or someone who has something to prove? Rudi Anderson doesn't scare me, irrespective of his three TD's last week. For that matter, Dillon doesn't scare me either.

Kitna is playing well and has some offensive weapons in Johnson, Warrick and Washington but he isn't exactly an overly mobile QB and if we can mount a pass rush like last week, their WR's can be held in check. I didn't see last weeks game but it appears that moving Bryant to DE was not a bad move. Was he used as a DE in a 3-4 or did he play there in a 4-3 as well? I'm not sure I want him there permanently.......I think he is really a natural DT, but as they say, a change is as good as a rest. Cross training him will only help us long term.

On the topic of DE's........I'm REALLY happy to see that Dennis Johnson is coming on strong as his learning curve is arcing up. Many of you might remember how adamant I was that he should not be cut this year and that he was potentially a super pick in 2002 in the 3rd round. I still believe he will prove to be much more than just a serviceable body.

I sure wish we had the Lions on our up coming schedule and that we had played, say, the Vikes opening day. Letting the Lions win that game was "first game gitters". We'd blow them away if we were to play them now.

Did everyone see Mac's face full of enthusiasm running onto the field after the OT field goal last week. While I'm not going to change my mind about Mac not being a good tactician, he sure loves his men and I still believe that they want to win for him. On the coaching staff, if what I'm hearing about a possible difference in game planning between Mac and Sullivan is true, Could it mean that this is Sullivan's last year.......I sure hope not.

What's this crap about field conditions last week. I'm hearing that the field was overwatered and not cut before the game? Someone from the front office should be monitoring how ASU does the groundskeeping. Our team is a "fast track" type of team.......the last thing we need is for a grounds crew to prepare a slow field!

It'll be interesting to see how many will turn up this weekend to watch in person. It's not as though there are a lot of displaced Bengal fans in the valley who will come out en masse like the Cowboys, Packers and /or Bears. It would be nice if 40,000+ were to show up.

JoAnn's and Walter's articles were great this week.......Walter's for his football acumen and JoAnn's for her genuine love of the team.......she exudes this in her writing style doesn't she?

Is this the healthiest we've been injury wise at this juncture of the season? Having an early bye is the pits. Not enough time has gone by to give you an accurate perspective of what needs to be worked on. Our bye this year came at a good time.......we really needed last week's "W".

These next three weeks are going to be key in finding out what we really have going for us personnel wise. If we can even things up by the end of the Browns game, we might just have turned the corner and a 7-9 season might be likely and would be very acceptable from my perspective. My early season thoughts that we might be playoff bound this year were OVERLY optimistic, I'll concur.

Given the above, we need to get McCown into action at some point. We can't go into next year without a better understanding of what he might be able to do. Get him some experience in the fourth quarter if the game is already won or lost. Unhless we can finish at 9-7, give him a complete game.

I've read that LJ's contract talks are bogging down.......signing bonus and quaranteed money. At least we are on to it. My guess is that it will get done as he WANTS to stay here. Graves, don't blow this contract extention........he is a MUST returnee. Get him, Wilson and Barrett done. It will free up so much energy for next years FA and Draft signings that will need to happen to send us into the playoffs.

Can you imagine if we had taken Torry Holt instead of Boston, Urlacher instead of T Jones? We were on the clock with our decisions and could have had either? Isn't hindsight great?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple of points:

1. Holt was taken by the Rams at #6, we took Boston at #8. We would've taken Holt had he been there, IIRC. If you want to second guess that one, Chris McAlister was there to be taken. In fact, we could've traded down to #11 and still taken Boston, Minnesota had made us an offer so they could get McAlister.

2. Attendance, I'll be surprised if it cracks 30K this week.

3. You need to be careful saying stuff like "Mac sure loves his men." You might break up his marriage.

Jim O

Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
Attendance, I'll be surprised if it cracks 30K this week.

As of Wednesday morning, 21,000 tickets have been ditributed.

In other words, you will be able to stretch out.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jim Omohundro
As of Wednesday morning, 21,000 tickets have been ditributed.

In other words, you will be able to stretch out.

That's too bad. I thought the win over SF would have picked up attendance.

But it's good for me because I can be sure to get the seats I want.

DieHardCardFan

Dallas 2011
Reaction score
Attendance is going to be low for a couple of reasons. 1) It usually is! 2) Nascar is in town and alot of football fans are also race fans. I will be there, but I am always there!

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice post Spanky

ajcardfan is correct about the Boston Holt thing. I didn't realize that the Vikings had offered to trade up with us.

I remember at the time wanting McAlister instead of Boston as Moore and Sanders were coming off great seasons.

Dennis Johnson has proven to be worth keeping instead of picking up Coleman or one of the eioua FA DE's that many wanted us to acquire.

If Bryant ends up at DE then we should be set at this position for awhile. Pace will continue to improve, DJ is improving nicely, Bryant plays LDE on running downs and maybe even starts to get sacks from that position. KVB comes back from injury and the DE end position is solid. This means that the DT position becomes a position that needs an upgrade. Throw in the need for a CB and that should be the teams focus during FA and the draft.

Shelton may end up being tagged and that would be okay if we get a 1st rd pick for him. I would prefer that the Cards get him signed but at least we have a viable option if they don't.

No matter what happens with Shelton this team needs to spend a day one pick on the O-line.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
All well and good, Cardiac, on being solid at the DE position, but what if none of these guys puts it together and starts to get sacks? Then it must be said we aren't set at the DE position. Pace had a good game this past week. I hope he continues to play like that, but he hasn't all year. I think he can. I hope he can. Hopefully Wendell Bryant is fast enough to play and get sacks on the outside. I know KVB isn't. Let's hope for the best, because we don't really want to have to go out and get ANOTHER DE, but who knows?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort