Murray is becoming a choker in big games

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I mean, what about the first game against the Rams this season? Wasn't that a big game?

24/32 for 268 and 2 TDs, no picks. 6 rushes for 39 yards.
It was, but it was early no one was talking playoff ramifications. The packers game and this game were billed as determining #1 seed fights or playoff clinchers. But that game certainly counts.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What were the big games he’s won? A Big 12 Championship game? Hasn’t clinched a playoff berth as a pro. Hasn’t won in prime time when it mattered.

He won a Thursday night game against the Browns? Congrats bro.
I hear he was terrific in high school. In Texas. :shrug:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was, but it was early no one was talking playoff ramifications. The packers game and this game were billed as determining #1 seed fights or playoff clinchers. But that game certainly counts.

We also went in as underdogs with no pressure of expectation to win after McVay had clobbered us so many times in a row.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
As critical as I was and am about Murray's performance, his running ability and ability to evade pressure had the Cardinals in the game at the end.

Imagine McCoy facing the pressure Murray did. That downfield throw that Murray had to AJ Green was an elite play that few players in NFL HISTORY could have made.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
As critical as I was and am about Murray's performance, his running ability and ability to evade pressure had the Cardinals in the game at the end.

Imagine McCoy facing the pressure Murray did. That downfield throw that Murray had to AJ Green was an elite play that few players in NFL HISTORY could have made.

I think what we've seen this season with a competent backup QB is that as (almost) many plays as Kyler makes with his feet, he leaves on the field by missing reads early in the dropback or opportunities within structure. It's a real gift, because it allows him to not only salvage missed or broken plays but turn them into highlight reels.

But as time goes on we have to feel like Kyler is going to make the boring plays in structure that prevent him from having to make miracle plays 3+ seconds after the snap.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That downfield throw that Murray had to AJ Green was an elite play that few players in NFL HISTORY could have made.
Agreed. However still some make excuses for missing Green wide open in the end zone which would and should have been an easier throw then that one even with the pressure. Heck Murray himself mouthed to himself that he couldn't believe he missed him and knows he shoulda made the play. But yet free pass around here.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think what we've seen this season with a competent backup QB is that as (almost) many plays as Kyler makes with his feet, he leaves on the field by missing reads early in the dropback or opportunities within structure. It's a real gift, because it allows him to not only salvage missed or broken plays but turn them into highlight reels.

But as time goes on we have to feel like Kyler is going to make the boring plays in structure that prevent him from having to make miracle plays 3+ seconds after the snap.
Well...I think Murray HAS improved in structure this year. At a number of periods throughout this season, Murray was the highest rated passer in the pocket. Heck, Murray has even gotten better outside of structure this year.

He still leaves way too many plays on the field, but he has shown that he is able to grow, which means that he is doing the film study to get better.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Agreed. However still some make excuses for missing Green wide open in the end zone which would and should have been an easier throw then that one even with the pressure. Heck Murray himself mouthed to himself that he couldn't believe he missed him and knows he shoulda made the play. But yet free pass around here.
I give him a slight mulligan there because he did have pressure in his face. The Cardinals can live with misfires like that.

What they can't live with is that interception to Floyd. He has to understand it's pretty tough to make that throw over a tall LB who is waiting for you to try that throw.

Even the pick to Ernest Jones is a bit more understandable because that was a deflection, but Murray has to get a sense that Donald was standing there waiting to bat the pass.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I give him a slight mulligan there because he did have pressure in his face. The Cardinals can live with misfires like that.

What they can't live with is that interception to Floyd. He has to understand it's pretty tough to make that throw over a tall LB who is waiting for you to try that throw.

Even the pick to Ernest Jones is a bit more understandable because that was a deflection, but Murray has to get a sense that Donald was standing there waiting to bat the pass.
I understand to an extent. But I can't give a free pass on a player that wide open in the EZ. And such a bad ball. Pressure or not. He's made better throws in worse pressure. You gotta hit those in big important games.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well...I think Murray HAS improved in structure this year. At a number of periods throughout this season, Murray was the highest rated passer in the pocket. Heck, Murray has even gotten better outside of structure this year.

He still leaves way too many plays on the field, but he has shown that he is able to grow, which means that he is doing the film study to get better.

The Rams and GB games felt like the first time we saw Kyler missing the layups so far this season. He was absolutely dynamite the first 6 games.

That said, looking at that statement, the first six games were a long time ago and a somewhat short sample size. The last two games are an even shorter sample size also. He’s got 4 games left which will really determine just how far he’s come this season. Really hoping to see him get back to the beginning of the season and believe he can do that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Rams and GB games felt like the first time we saw Kyler missing the layups so far this season. He was absolutely dynamite the first 6 games.

That said, looking at that statement, the first six games were a long time ago and a somewhat short sample size. The last two games are an even shorter sample size also. He’s got 4 games left which will really determine just how far he’s come this season. Really hoping to see him get back to the beginning of the season and believe he can do that.
Agreed. With the start we had this year finishing the last 6 at 3-3 has to be considered a disappointing end to the season, and slight shades of last years ebb. Mind you I purposefully said “disappointing end” and “slight shades” recognizing a 12-5 season is a successful season and finishing 3-3 is better than last years 2-5 slide to end the season.