Monte Hall's Arizona Cardinals' Free Agency Primer

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Welcome to the Arizona Cardinals' BA&SK 2014 premier of "Let's Make a Deal."

At each position, I am going to try to prognosticate which players are behind Doors Number 1, 2 and 3---and---a wild card player that Steve Keim ('Jay") may be bringing down the aisle in "the box."

Here goes:

QB:

Need: Mobile Option?

Carson Palmer is the starter. Drew Stanton and Ryan Lindley are the backups (for now). But, the questions are whether Palmer at his age can stay healthy again for an entire season, whether Stanton is the viable #2 option and whether any of the backups can emulate the likes of Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick in practice. The Cardinals can look to add a mobile QB such as Tahj Boyd later in the draft---but is there a free agent that Jay could bring down the aisle in "the box?"

The Box: Michael Vick.

At this point in Vick's career, he is not going to land a starting gig right from the get-go, but he could position himself as a viable #2, especially on a contending team. He still has the mobility and strong arm. While this may seem like a long shot, I think that BA&SK are intrigued enough with QB mobility and how it would translate into BA's revised offense enough to bring in a mobile QB. Very unlikely...but is it completely out of the realm of possibility?

RB:

Need: A RB to share the bulk of the carries with Andre Ellington. BA has indicated that because he is modifying his offense to cater to The Juke's strengths and versatility, that it would make sense to add a RB of similar strengths.

Door Number 1: Darren Sproles.

BA has likened The Juke's style to Sproles'...and amazingly on cue, Sproles is now available. BA&SK wanted Reggie Bush last year for the same reasons they would want Sproles. It would be perfect gig for Sproles, as he would share the touches with The Juke. While Sproles isn't quite as electric as he once was---he's still good for 6 or 7 yards almost every time he touches the ball, via a handoff, swing pass or screen and that is exactly what BA&SK want.

Door Number 2: Donald Brown.

Brown has the feet, acceleration and pass receiving skills that BA&SK want. Plus, BA has worked with Brown before and probably laments that he didn't use Brown more---now that BA sees how a speedy and elusive RB can flourish in his modified offense.

Door Number 3: Maurice Jones-Drew.

A system fit for sure. The question is how much tread he has left on his tires. It may be that BA&SK believe there is plenty left.

The Box: Dexter McCluster.

In many ways, McCluster would be a beautiful fit as the same kind of RB/WR threat The Juke is. McCluster gained over 500 yards at 4.5 ypc a couple of years ago when Jamaal Charles was injured---and McCluster is a nifty slot WR who has electric RAC (run after catch) ability.

C:

Need: With Lyle Sendlein coming off his best season and the recent signing of John Estes to a two year deal, it is highly unlikely we will see BA&SK go after a UFA center.

LT:

Need: A good veteran starter who can protect the QB and help open up the vertical passing game.

Door Number 1: Brandon Albert.

If Darnell Dockett, who has been training with Albert in Florida, is onto something, then here could finally be the pass protector the Cardinals have been lacking for many, many years.

Door Number 2: Jared Veldheer.

Carson Palmer's familiarity with Veldheer may actually make him the #1 target. BA&SK may view him as a more complete LT than Albert, which would make him more attractive because of how committed BA is to the running game and how better than makes Carson Palmer.

Door Number 3: Eugene Monroe.

The pundits believe he has the best overall skills of the group. Not sure if BA&SK agree, however, as they did not make an effort to trade for him in times of desperation last season, and this year Monroe's name has not been linked to the Cardinals.

The Box: Rodger Saffold.

I think the Cardinals' interest in Saffold is so high that he actually might be at the top of their list. Knowing Steve Keim and what he looks for in offensive linemen, I am certain that Keim had a very high grade on Saffold when he entered the draft. Saffold's ceiling is very high, providing he can stave off the injury bug. I think BA&SK love him as a LT, and with good reason.

RG:

Need: There is some uncertainty here. Paul Fanaika turned in a fairly solid 16 game season as last year's starter. One gets the sense, however, that Fanaika is not quite as powerful, savvy or athletic as what BA&SK want. In the wings is physical dynamo Earl Watford. But, is he ready? It would seem that it might be another year before Watford is ready and therefore, could BA&SK either find a way to hang on to Daryn Colledge or do they have a few UFAs they have identified as immediate upgrades? I think they do.

Door Number 1: Geoff Schwartz.

Was a very nice surprise at guard when he stepped in for eight games in KC. He wants to be paid like a starter. BA&SK may oblige.

Door Number 2: Travelle Wharton.

A one of two year deal with this veteran road-grader may be exactly what the Cardinals need to make their running game explosive, providing Wharton is not planning on retiring just yet.

Door Number 3: John Asamoah.

His shoulder injury is what paved the way for Schwartz to step in and succeed. Asamoah is very talented and he's still young. The Chiefs want him back. The question is whether another team can pry him away.

The Box: Chad Rhinehart.

Rhinehart is another player I am certain that Steve Keim scouted throughly and liked coming into the draft. His first few years in the NFL were disappointing, but last year he came into his own with the Chargers. it wouldn't surprise me if Keim calls his agent today.

RT:

Need: This is yet another position in flux. As K-Somers said yesterday to MJ, there's something the Cardinals' coaches saw that they didn't like about Bobby Massie, which is why they went out and signed Eric Winston. If a LT is signed in FA, the plan is to slide Bradley Sowell over to the RT competition. Sowell could turn out to be a very solid RT. But, I think BA&SK want a more certain option at RT.

Door Number 1: Zach Strief.

In so many ways, Strief makes perfect sense. He has the length and strength to hold down the right side. And while he is 31---he's only started for the last three years and has just started coming into his prime. They say he developed into quite a leader of the line in New Orleans.

Door Number 2: Michael Oher.

Has the talent, but has not fulfilled it yet. Could Harold Goodwin bring it out in him?

Door Number 3: Breno Giacomini.

Big, physical and nasty. Gets penalized a little too much---but better technique and concentration could fix that. Plus it would be nice coup to snatch him away from the Seahawks.

The Box: Anthony Collins.

Here's the rub---should the Cardinals sign Rodger Saffold, adding Anthony Collins would be a fantastic addition because if Saffold gets injured, or if Saffold becomes the RG extraordinaire, Collins can take over at LT. In the interim he would be a wonderful option at RT.

WR:

Need: Home run speed guy. I think it is most likely BA&SK will add one in the draft, but it's quite possible they could have their eye on a few of the UFAs. Here's some of the possibilties:

Door Number 1: Ted Ginn, Jr.

I thought he was quite a factor for Carolina this past season: 36/559/15.5/5-tds. What surprised me is how suddenly productive he was catching the ball over the middle, which to date had been a weakness. Running deep routes has always been his forte.

Door Number 2: Jacoby Ford

He is a Steve Keim special. He loves those track star Clemson WRs. Ford could thrive with the right coaching and system. He underperformed in Oakland, and while he was put with a Lisfranc foot injury in 2012, Carson Palmer would have had an inkling about Ford's value as a speed WR and dynamic kickoff returner.

Door Number 3: Emmanuel Sanders

BA knows him well---and while Sanders is more cat-quick than blazing fast, he commands the attention of the FS from the slot or lined up wide.

The Box: Jacoby Jones.

Quite possibly had the biggest catch in Ravens' history, when he miraculously managed to get open deep on a desperation 4th and long in the playoffs two years ago versus the Broncos. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br2QVozDaA0

This guy is a blazer and a very good kickoff return man as well.

TE:

Need: What the Cardinals did was---they believed that John Carlson is as good or better than any of the UFA TEs---which is why they went ahead and signed him this week.

BA&SK hope that Jake Ballard will be 100% healthy this year to make a solid trio of Carlson-Houlsler-Ballard and that Darren Fells and Andre Hardy will emerge as bona-fide talents. Depending on how healthy and good Ballard and Carlson look in April mini-camp, the Cardinals may choose to add another TE in the draft.

NT:

Need: The Cardinals just re-signed Almeda Ta'amu and hope he will be able to be ready to back up Dan Williams early in the season. This is why I do not see BA&SK signing a UFA NT. What I anticipate instead is that they will re-sign Frostee Rucker and have him take snaps at DE and NT until Ta'amu returns.

DE:

Need: BA&SK would like to add depth here. They would like to re-sign Frostee Rucker---but even if they do, they would like to add another DE to the rotation and here are some potential UFA targets:

Door Number 1: Red Bryant.

Big Red would look great in Cardinal red. He could rotate in for Dockett and Campbell and spell Dan Williams at NT when need be. The Cardinals do not take stopping the run for granted---not in the NFC West, that's for sure.

Door Number 2: Alex Carrington.

Young and athletic rotational 34DE type who is just starting to enter his prime. Shouldn't bee too expensive.

Door Number 3: Ziggy Hood.

Very talented inside player who hasn't hit his stride yet.

The Box: Randy Starks.

This guy would be a total steal. Todd Bowles knows him well. he could be this year's John Abraham type UFA dynamo.

ILB:

Need: The Cardinals have a highly competitive offer on the table for Karlos Dansby. I imagine that they will let Dansby see what kind of interest he generates this weekend to see his market value and that a decision will be made one way or another before Tuesday. BA&SK are not going to wait around, as evidenced by the interest they showed in D'Qwell Jackson. And---it's a new era for the Cardinals in the way in which they have a set market price for each UFA and if a player waffles, they are on to Door Number 2.
(The likely plan is to start Kevin Minter and add a nickel ILB in the draft---but here are some UFA options for your perusal anyway)

Door Number 1: Karlos Dansby.

My guess is that Dansby at his age will not get the kind of attention this weekend that he thinks and that he will re-sign by Tuesday.

Door Number 2: Jon Beason.

Would be a nifty fit in Todd Bowles defense.

Door Number 3: Wesley Woodyard.

Has the athleticism, range, coverage ability.

The Box: Daryl Smith.

He is a tackling machine---123 tackles for Baltimore last year and 5 sacks. He's older, like Dansby, but still plays at a very high level.

OLB:

Need: Steve Keim has been trying to re-sign Matt Shaughnessy, who was a very strong run stopper at LOLB. He's not a great pass rusher, nor is he quite quick enough on the edge to chase down mobile QBs consistently well---and because he crashed down on the run so much, he's susceptible to bootlegs and losing immediate contain. But he is a high effort player who can slide down to 34DE if need be. What the Cardinals are looking for is another bona-fide pass rusher---but may have to look to the draft to fill that need.

Door Number 1: Mike Neal.

There has been reported interest in Neal, who has trimmed down to 280 and is starting to emerge as a legitimate edge rusher.

Door Number 2: Everson Griffen.

A good, aggressive nickel rusher.

Door Number 3: Justin Tuck.

Might be too expensive coming off an excellent year, but what an outstanding addition he would be if Steve Keim could pull it off.

The Box: Michael Johnson.

He would seem like the ideal edge player in Todd Bowles defense because of his length and edge rush prowess. Pass rush may be more of a priority with Steve Keim than we realize and he might surprise us with a signing like this.

CB:

Need: BA&SK have indicated that they head into free agency and the draft wanting to get "longer and more athletic" at CB and S. Todd Bowles, as we have seen, will take a CB and match him up versus a TE. This is a strong consideration here.

Door Number 1: Vontae Davis.

BA knows first-hand how talented Davis is. It would be a coup to sign him and to have him complete what could be an extremely talented secondary. He's 5-11---which isn't long, per se---but he plays bigger and plays well versus taller WRs.

Door Number 2: Sam Shields.

Same size as Davis---plays big as CBs go. Another player Todd Bowles knows well. Could be a nice fit.

Door Number 3: Walter Thurmond III.

Like Davis and Shields, he plays big and is sticky in coverage.

The Box: Tarell Brown.

I think Brown is going to have a huge year for whatever team that signs him. He is one of the most under-rated CBs in the NFL. He can really get after it in coverage.

SS:

Need: This is one of the most pressing---the Cardinals need a SS who can play tough in the box and ideally who can provide blanket coverage on TEs.

Door Number 1: Chris Clemons.

Has the size and coverage skills and knows Todd Bowles' system.

Door Number 2: Donte Whitner.

Brings swag, big hitting ability and attitude. Can he cover as well as he hits? That is the question.
[
Door Number 3: Malcolm Jenkins.

Ohio St. grad who has flashed premier talent, but has been inconsistent. He's still young, so with good coaching, he could develop into a very good SS.

The Box: T.J. Ward.

Could he be one of Steve Keim's big splashes this year? What a player Ward is. He's a real tone setter.

K:

Need: A kicker who is accurate under pressure and who can consistently get touchbacks or at least decent hang-time on kickoffs.

Door Number 1: Steven Hauschka

Kind of surprised the Seahawks didn't tag him. He had an excellent year to follow up a very good season in 2012.

Door Number 2: Phil Dawson

Still one of the best kickers on the planet.

Door Number 3: Josh Brown

Big leg---coming off a good 100 point year with the Giants (23/26 FGs).

The Box: Adam Vinatieri

BA knows him well. It will be interesting to see if BA&SK make a play for him.

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Mitch, well thought out & I agree with most!

1) How about Ben Tate at RB? He's got the power, speed & IMO is a star in the making. ;) If the Cards are gonna go get a kid, go for the HR in a RB who can tote the rock!

2) I agree Tarell Brown is vastly underrated at CB. It would be a nice addition to our secondary to have an ex Longhorn...plus I went to the same HS with him :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Mitch, well thought out & I agree with most!

1) How about Ben Tate at RB? He's got the power, speed & IMO is a star in the making. :D

2) I agree Tarell Brown is vastly underrated at CB. It would be a nice addition to our secondary to has an ex Longhorn...plus I went to the same HS with him :D

I agree about Ben Tate---but i think BA wants a RB who is a dual run and pass threat just like The Juke. I also believe that BA is comfortable with Stepfan Taylor as his banger.

Please give Tarell a call, Bucky!

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mitch---Thanks for the detailed post and the work you put into it. Watch the local media plagarize your post!

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lamar houston or arthur jones as 3-4 de?maybe their cost is too much,ziggy hood can ve a good fit.
Safety i m just for chris clemons
Cb i want sam shields
Michael Johnson i think is out of our parameters cause they will spend big bucks just for albert or monroe.

I hope they re-sign shaughnessy.
They will get a wr in the draft

Rb ,wr through the draft as well as a pass rusher

1-brenden Albert 8mil
2-ziggy Hood 2 mil
3-sam shields 3.5 mil
4-chris clemons 3 mil
* shaughnessy frostee rucker resigned

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
One thing that frustrates me is Earl Watford if he does not start... that is if he is truly physically superior to some of the other guards other than Cooper. It is the freaking guard position, if one cannot pickup a position as that under a coach who has no problems about playing rookies, then Earl is a bust.
It seems for the most part that Watford and Minter are not smart while the Dude gets a free pass for being stupid lol

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Nice job Mitch. Monte Hall would be proud indeed, and so am I.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Some great names on here. Good thoughts, Mitch.

Maybe I'm alone, but I really hope we don't spend any kind of significant money on a RB (at all). I think between Ellington, Williams, and Taylor we are fine there. If we bring someone in I hope it's someone who is a great special teams player. I think someone like Mendenhall who doesn't add value in any other aspect is unnecessary at this point.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I kept seeing quite a few posters say they want Sam Shields and I keep wondering what everyone is smoking; he's not in our price range. Hence why he just signed for almost 10 mil a year.

Keim's infatuation with Clemson track stars? Where does that come from?

Jon Beason is finished. Dude couldn't cover my grandmother (and she passed away awhile ago).

Sign Ginn if you want a kick returner; if you're looking for him as a receiver, prepare for Palmer to have a lower completion percentage. QBs have always completed around 50% of the passes that go his way.

As far as RBs are concerned, I agree with Bucky, go get Ben Tate if you are signing a veteran. His price should be more reasonable than any of us think right now, and he would immediately be the best RB on the roster and would allow us to use Ellington the way BA wants to use him.

I don't understand your infatuation with Saffold, especially as a LT. He's never been a good LT, he's been pretty terrible. He would be a step up from Sowell, but not as much as if we signed a real LT (which Saffold is not). Giacomini is terrible as is Oher.

Reaction score
Some great names on here. Good thoughts, Mitch.

Maybe I'm alone, but I really hope we don't spend any kind of significant money on a RB (at all). I think between Ellington, Williams, and Taylor we are fine there. If we bring someone in I hope it's someone who is a great special teams player. I think someone like Mendenhall who doesn't add value in any other aspect is unnecessary at this point.

+1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
eliminate DE door number 1.... red Bryant signed a four year deal with the Jags today

seesred

Reaction score
Thanks Mitch for all you do for this board. I always look for your talk and find it very interesting. As a big Cards fan as we all are. If we are going to sign at the top tier Dansby,LT, SS. We might stop there as they still have to sign up some for the strong bench we want. Plus rookies. !8mil can go very fast.

I believe in Bask and Palmer. IF the line gets some upgrades our running game will be very successful with the guys that carry the ball. Especially our new star Mr. E!

GBR

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard