MLB Steroid Melodrama

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Manditory Steriod Testing!!

Holy crap, more than 5% of the players tested last year tested positive for steroids.

That is huge because I think they only tested a handful of players

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Re: Manditory Steriod Testing!!

Originally posted by Ryanwb
Holy crap, more than 5% of the players tested last year tested positive for steroids.

That is huge because I think they only tested a handful of players

If they only tested 20 players, that means "1" tested positive for steroids.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the players association to agree to this, they had to show that more than 1 player was tested positive.

Most players were tested, with no names attached to the samples. The CBA with the players states that if more than 5% of samples in a year test positive, then the manditory testing, with names associated and penalities, would kick in.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I read they ran over 1400 tests, and roughly 6% came back positive. That sounds like they either tested every player or tested some guys multiple times. 40 man roster x 30...doesn't equal 1400. Anyhow, that's about 85 players. And that didn't include THG or HGH, etc.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A refusal to test was recorded as a failure. There were several White Sox who publically admitted to not refusing the test in order to go over the 5%. Unfortunately we still don't know how many failures were really positive test results or not.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DWKB
A refusal to test was recorded as a failure. There were several White Sox who publically admitted to not refusing the test in order to go over the 5%. Unfortunately we still don't know how many failures were really positive test results or not.

If players were refusing to take the test in order to bump the percentage over 5%, then there must be at least among some MLB players, a serious concern about this issue, and the wanting to get Barry Bonds (oops, I mean the other players off the steriods)

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dback Jon
If players were refusing to take the test in order to bump the percentage over 5%, then there must be at least among some MLB players, a serious concern about this issue, and the wanting to get Barry Bonds (oops, I mean the other players off the steriods)

You know damn well that this will do nothing to change the perception of Barry Bonds to "playa hatas" like yourself. If he's caught, you'll be vindicated, if he never is caught, you won't say:

"Gee I guess I was wrong on that one."

You'd more likely say:

"Well he's just using something they haven't tested for yet, or they don't want to tarnish their great players so they don't test him."

DbaxJ

I was lost but now I'm found
Reaction score
Actually the respone would probably be... look at the numbers dropping off, (if they start dropping) see what a little test can cause, looks like he stopped the roids, and there goes his power.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by DbaxJ
Actually the respone would probably be... look at the numbers dropping off, (if they start dropping) see what a little test can cause, looks like he stopped the roids, and there goes his power.

The numbers are guarenteed to drop off, he's almost 40. He's gonna drop off because of age regardless of anything else that might contribute. I don't see how it will still answer any of the questions.

Indrid Cold

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see why Bonds should be implicated considering the following facts:

1. Posts career best numbers at age 36+

2. Shows noticeable muscle mass gain in his mid 30s

3. Bonds' personal trainer has his house searched by federal investigators looking for THG, a synthetic hormone, and connection to BALCO the company that produced it.

Nope, there's no connection there to using performance enhancing drugs. It's all just a coincidence, and anybody who says otherwise is just a "playuh hatuh".

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Indrid Cold
Yeah, I don't see why Bonds should be implicated considering the following facts:

1. Posts career best numbers at age 36+

2. Shows noticeable muscle mass gain in his mid 30s

3. Bonds' personal trainer has his house searched by federal investigators looking for THG, a synthetic hormone, and connection to BALCO the company that produced it.

Nope, there's no connection there to using performance enhancing drugs. It's all just a coincidence, and anybody who says otherwise is just a "playuh hatuh".

I believe the main issue I am trying to present is:

If, now that testing has been initiated, Bonds doesn't test positive, that it still wouldn't clear his name to people like yourself.
I haven't heard of any proper suggestions on how he would be able to clear his name either. Maybe you have one that would fully satisfy your suspicions.

DBaxJ said you could tell because his numbers would drop off, but that isn't a good solution since there will obviously be other factors to Bonds numbers falling off.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by DWKB
You know damn well that this will do nothing to change the perception of Barry Bonds to "playa hatas" like yourself. If he's caught, you'll be vindicated, if he never is caught, you won't say:

"Gee I guess I was wrong on that one."

You'd more likely say:

"Well he's just using something they haven't tested for yet, or they don't want to tarnish their great players so they don't test him."
Well I agree that people who want to hate on Bonds will hate on him regardless of what the tests prove out, I don't think it's fair to call people who don't like Bonds "player haters".

I don't like Bonds and nobody has ever accused me of being a player hater. In fact I pretty much staunchly defend players against attacks that they are greedy, overpaid primadonnas. I usually wage war against player haters.

I think most people who don't like Barry are people who have a certain image of players as fan friendly that Bonds doesn't fit. And I will say that practically every woman I have asked can't stand Barry Bonds - and we are least player hating fan group of any around.

Indrid Cold

Reaction score
Well if this new mandantory testing had occured about 4 years ago, then maybe Bonds could've alleviated the suspicion through testing. But given the oultine I posted above, I don't think that anything could clear his name with the majority of the fans who think he was/is juiced. The investigation of Greg Anderson, Bonds' personal trainer, could unearth enough information to bury Bonds' contention that he doesn't use performance enhancing drugs.

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
MLB's steroid policy is weak!

The Olympic games discovered all the tricks and their anti doping policy is the best out there. Why doesn't MLB take their trial and error and apply it?

MLB will ONLY conduct tests during the season. This will allow players to bulk up for up to 4 months and let their bodies rid the "evidence" prior to Opening Day. It takes about 3 weeks for the pill form of steriods to leave the body and a little extra for injectables

The next part just kills me: It will take a player 5 (FIVE) positive tests before the player CAN be suspended for up to one year.

Why even bother to test everyone if they are going to have this Steve Howe type policy?

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jason Giambi

Yeah, he's not on steroids :roll:

Then:

You must be registered for see images attach

Now

You must be registered for see images

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:eek:

Wow!

Didn't someone on here post an article that was saying Jason showed up to spring training looking like he lost a few pounds (read: stopped taking steriods) maybe due to his testifying in court about the issue back in Dec.?

Djaughe

Reaction score
Betcha he'll be lucky to hit 30 homers!

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
well if it was gradual I could see it. I'm quite a bit buffer now since I started lifting a few years back, but if it all happens at once that's a little weird...

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Re: Jason Giambi

Originally posted by Ryanwb
Yeah, he's not on steroids :roll:

Then:

You must be registered for see images attach

Now

The thing is that he is wearing an A's cap. Very interesting. So that second pic was taken a few years back.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Originally posted by schillingfan
Here is a pic of Jason Giambi as he looked reporting to spring training this week. Looks like his rookie card.

yeah, it sure looks like he lost only the 4 pounds that he claims he did. :rolleyes:

Djaughe

Reaction score
Originally posted by Evil Ash
yeah, it sure looks like he lost only the 4 pounds that he claims he did. :rolleyes:

After looking at all the pics - especially the last one...I revise my prediction that he will hit less than 25 homers and eventually get beat out for his position!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard