Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for an unknown to play Stark.

Jon Favreau on Iron Man
Source: MTV
May 24, 2006

MTV talked to Iron Man director Jon Favreau, who gave some interesting quotes. Here are a few of them about the movie:

"It's the first movie Marvel is self-financing," he said of a new deal that frees the makers of the "Spider-Man" and "X-Men" movies from studio control. "We're set to come out in the summer of '08, and we'll start shooting in January."

"We're gonna have it take place in the present day, but there will be an origin story that has the old, gray Iron Man suit; eventually it will progress into more of the modern look," Favreau said. "That's the fun of doing the first one."

"The alcoholism doesn't come into play until later on in the story of Iron Man," he said. "[The comic] started off in the '60s, where it was about him as a successful manufacturer who developed this suit. Then, later, it spins off into that story about him fighting against himself. I think we're going to lay the groundwork for it, but the first one's going to explore him taking on this alter ego of Iron Man, and developing the suit, and what happens politically within the Stark Corporation."

Mentioning an eventual "Iron Man 2," Favreau said that actor playing Tony Stark for his franchise is unlikely to be a major star (Tom Cruise was briefly attached to the role years ago). Instead, the director hopes to announce his discovery of a relative unknown from the Brandon Routh ("Superman Returns") mold later this year.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Batman you had to believe that he was a bad ass. In Iron Man all you have to believe is he's an alcoholic, womanizing technological-genius.

Robert Downey Jr. is Iron Man
Source: Ain't-It-Cool-News
September 28, 2006

Ain't-It-Cool-News reports that Robert Downey Jr. has been cast to play Iron Man for director Jon Favreau at Marvel Studios! The movie will be distributed by Paramount Pictures on May 2, 2008.

Based upon Marvel's iconic Super Hero, the film will follow billionaire weapons-manufacturer, Tony Stark (Downey Jr.), who confronts the sins of his past after he is injured by one of his own weapons. Equipped with a high-tech suit of armor, he becomes Iron Man to combat evil on a global scale.

Arthur Marcum and Matt Holloway wrote the film's screenplay.

:thud:

I can really see Downey Jr. pulling it off. Especially the troubled alcoholic part of Stark.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made is another movie where Favreau was decent--unfortunately, Vince Vaughn completely ruined the film.

I wanted to put a beat down on Vince Vaughn for his role. It was the first time I ever really wanted to hurt a movie character.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Robert Downey Jr. is Iron Man
Source: Ain't-It-Cool-News
September 28, 2006

Ain't-It-Cool-News reports that Robert Downey Jr. has been cast to play Iron Man for director Jon Favreau at Marvel Studios! The movie will be distributed by Paramount Pictures on May 2, 2008.

Based upon Marvel's iconic Super Hero, the film will follow billionaire weapons-manufacturer, Tony Stark (Downey Jr.), who confronts the sins of his past after he is injured by one of his own weapons. Equipped with a high-tech suit of armor, he becomes Iron Man to combat evil on a global scale.

Arthur Marcum and Matt Holloway wrote the film's screenplay.

:thud:

I can really see Downey Jr. pulling it off. Especially the troubled alcoholic part of Stark.

So much for trying to find an unknown.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was mostly joking, but GF took Ironman as his nick-nickname and it was the name of his first album. On his second album, he heavily sampled a bunch of the Ironman radio serial, which was pretty cool.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was mostly joking, but GF took Ironman as his nick-nickname and it was the name of his first album. On his second album, he heavily sampled a bunch of the Ironman radio serial, which was pretty cool.
Oh. Is ghost face crooner, or more of a barbershop quartet singer?

:I'm not into rap:

;)

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Iron Man is a second-rate super hero. The movie is going to suck.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
So much for trying to find an unknown.

Who's Robert Downey Jr. anyway?

Secondly, isn't Iron Man just a glorified version of RoboCop? Or is RoboCop a homeless man's version of Iron Man?

This moving has all the making to be a flop.

Couple that with the Fantastic Four mentioning in an earlier post and 2/3 of the movies listed have been poor.

Now we are just waiting on the long waited Transformers flick.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Secondly, isn't Iron Man just a glorified version of RoboCop? Or is RoboCop a homeless man's version of Iron Man?
At it's simplest, no. Iron Man is a guy in a suit, Robocop was a cyborg.

Iron Man is Tony Stark, a very wealthy playboy alcoholic genius who designs and wears a high-tech suit of armor. He'll probably be closely tied to the government, because the comic book has been going in that direction for a while. There's actually quite a bit of depth to the character.

If I remember correctly, Robocop was a cop that got shot up and was saved by becoming a clumky version of the $6M man, and lost some of his humanity in the process.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iron Man is a second-rate super hero. The movie is going to suck.
The movie may suck, but Iron Man is front and center in Marvel's cast of heroes--right along side Spider-Man, Hulk and Captain America. He's hardly second-rate.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Terrence Howard Set for Iron Man
Source: Variety
October 10, 2006

Terrence Howard is set to join Robert Downey Jr. in Iron Man, reports Variety.

The Jon Favreau-directed film is the first to be financed through an arrangement that Marvel Studios formed with Merrill Lynch. Paramount Pictures releases the film May 2, 2008.

Howard will play Jim "Rhodey" Rhodes, the confidante of Iron Man's alter ego, Tony Stark. Rhodes, a high ranking military officer and aviator, steers the team that develops the robotic suit that allows the sickly Stark to fly around and battle bad guys.

In the comic, Rhodes' character gets his own armored suit and evolves into an occasionally antagonistic character called War Machine. That development seems likely to be saved for the sequel, though, as Iron Man will battle villain the Mandarin when shooting begins in February in L.A.

"The suit is purely an innovative creation, so this is Marvel meets Tom Clancy technology," Marvel Studios production president Kevin Feige said. "Having the best actors for the key roles allows them to inhabit the hyperkinetic reality of this world."

:thumbup:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Wasn't Stark a black man in the comics? I had some when I was a kid, and for some reason I thought I remembered him as an alcoholic black man.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't Stark a black man in the comics? I had some when I was a kid, and for some reason I thought I remembered him as an alcoholic black man.

Eddie March wore the armor as did Jim Rhodes, but Stark was always a rich white alcoholic with a heart ailment.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eddie March wore the armor as did Jim Rhodes, but Stark was always a rich white alcoholic with a heart ailment.
Yeah, I imagine if you're in your early to mid-30's you're probably thinking of Jim Rhodes. He later wore another suit of Stark's armor and called himself "War Machine." I try to forget that.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Favreau is Looking for Happy Iron Man Suggestions
Source: IronFan72
November 21, 2006

Iron Man director Jon Favreau has posted on his MySpace page for the movie that he's looking for suggestions for the role of Tony Stark's friend Harold "Happy" Hogan in the film. If you think you know who is perfect for the role, be sure to let him know at the link below...

Iron Man is scheduled for a May 2, 2008 release.

Ideas?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brilliant idea. Fanoys are always lambasting directors for casting choices, now they'll have no one to blame but themselves.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn