MCU: Iron Man

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exclusive Iron Man Update

October 21, 2004

IGN FilmForce has learned that screenwriter David Hayter's latest draft of Iron Man has won over New Line Cinema and the studio is immediately going out with it to directors who can get the film up and running by early 2005!

Sources advised IGNFF that this draft of Iron Man is very Tom Clancy-esque in tone and involves the conflict between Tony Stark and his father Howard over Stark Industries. The Armored Avenger's origin has been updated from the Vietnam back story used in the comics.

Actors like Tom Cruise and Nicolas Cage have been mentioned for the project over the years but with Cruise now busy doing War of the Worlds and Cage prepping for Ghost Rider, New Line has several other movie stars in mind.

Iron Man is produced by Avi Arad and Kevin Feige of Marvel Studios, who are currently on the set of Fantastic Four in Vancouver, and Don Murphy of Angryfilms, who is also busy with DreamWorks/Paramount's live-action feature version of The Transformers, which is slated for a summer 2006 release.

Phlegyas

Just win, baby
Reaction score
Iron Man is produced by Avi Arad and Kevin Feige of Marvel Studios, who are currently on the set of Fantastic Four in Vancouver, and Don Murphy of Angryfilms, who is also busy with DreamWorks/Paramount's live-action feature version of The Transformers, which is slated for a summer 2006 release.

Hey, three cool-sounding movies! Finally; the movies that have been released recently aren't exactly ones I have wanted to see.

Just as long as Iron Man isn't played by Ben Affleck... :barf:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nick Cassavetes Helming Iron Man
Source: Variety
November 29, 2004

New Line Cinema and Marvel Studios have signed Nick Cassavetes (The Notebook) to direct Iron Man, based on the Marvel character, reports Variety.

Although Cassavetes is currently shooting Alpha Dog, Marvel and New Line plan to begin casting immediately. The trade says the film is scheduled for a 2006 release.

Based on the long-running Marvel comic book series, Iron Man is the story of Tony Stark, a driven inventor and executive who straps on billions of dollars in armor and weaponry each night to fight crime, terrorism and corporate espionage.

The project is based on a script by Alfred Gough and Miles Millar, and David Hayter.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Iron Man for Tom Cruise
Source: Sci Fi Wire
February 11, 2005

Tom Cruise told Sci Fi Wire that he won't be starring in director Nick Cassavetes and producer Don Murphy's Iron Man. Here's a clip:

"It's not happening. Not with me," Cruise told reporters during a break in filming on the set of his current movie, War of the Worlds, in Piru, Calif. "They ... came to me at a certain point, and you know, when I do something, I want to do it right. And, you know, if I commit to something, it has to be done in a way that I know it's going to be something special. And that ... as it was lining up, it just didn't feel to me like it was going to work."

Cruise had been attached to the on-again, off-again film adaptation of the Marvel Comics series. But he said that he's no longer involved. "I need to be able to make decisions and make the film as great as it can be, and it just didn't go down that road that way," he said. He added: "I've never just made a movie to make a movie. I've always made them because I really was interested in the story. I wanted to make that kind of picture and see what it would take, and it was an adventure for me. For that, it just wasn't panning out. So far. You know, as of yet."

------------------------------------------------------------

If they do it right, Iron Man could be a huge hit. One of my favorite Marvel heroes.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iron Man update
Source: Alfred Gough and Miles Millar

About the Iron Man adaptation:

He's a very interesting comics character because he doesn't have any superpowers. He's more like a Bruce Wayne / Batman character. In fact, he's a billionaire, just like Bruce Wayne. The project is still what we call in development. Last thing we've heard is that Nick Cassevetes who was to direct the adaptation is falling out of the project.

marathon_mom

Bring it on!!!
Reaction score
Dang, I thought this was about the Ironman Race that's coming to AZ this year. Oh yeah, that probably wouldn't be in the movies & TV forum. My bad. :shrug:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Iron Man update
Source: Alfred Gough and Miles Millar

About the Iron Man adaptation:

He's a very interesting comics character because he doesn't have any superpowers. He's more like a Bruce Wayne / Batman character. In fact, he's a billionaire, just like Bruce Wayne. The project is still what we call in development. Last thing we've heard is that Nick Cassevetes who was to direct the adaptation is falling out of the project.
This is the most un-newsworthy update for a film I've ever read. Why'd they lead with "Iron Man is just a guy in a suit" and finish up with "oh, yeah, and the director isn't with the project anymore."

Also funny to me is this line:
The project is still what we call in development.
Like he's speaking to a 3rd grade class. :hulk:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
This is the most un-newsworthy update for a film I've ever read. Why'd they lead with "Iron Man is just a guy in a suit" and finish up with "oh, yeah, and the director isn't with the project anymore."

Also funny to me is this line: Like he's speaking to a 3rd grade class. :hulk:

I'm just psyched that it's getting done eventually and will post any Iron Man news I can find.

:MarvelComicsgeek:

I believe the quote I found was from an interview with an overseas website, so that might explain the choppiness of it and the 3rd grade tone. :D

Djaughe

Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
....I believe the quote I found was from an interview with an overseas website, so that might explain the choppiness of it and the 3rd grade tone. :D

lol...bim trolling foreign 3rd grade websites to bring any tidbit of movie news! :notworthy

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iron Man Pushed Back to 2007
April 28, 2005

New Line and Marvel Studios announced last November that they had signed Nick Cassavetes ("The Notebook") to direct Iron Man, but it turns out there was never a done deal, reports Variety.

Cassavetes is in fact still not on board and has not held talks to direct the film for several months, adds the trade. He is, however, working on a rewrite of the script by Alfred Gough and Miles Millar, and David Hayter.

Cassavetes is still in the running to direct, however, and New Line remains committed to making the film. But with no director on board and casting yet to begin, the studio has delayed the film's planned release from 2006 to 2007.

"We want Nick to make the movie. We had him," Marvel Studios' Avi Arad said. "He's an 'Iron Man' aficionado. Everything was fine and then negotiations got delayed. We lost a year."

Arad is producing Iron Man with Angry Films' Don Murphy.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iron Man Returns to Marvel
November 3, 2005

Variety has confirmed that after more than two years of unsuccessful development at New Line, Marvel has taken back film rights to Iron Man, the comic book about an inventor who dons a high-tech suit and becomes a superhero.

The company may raise additional money to produce Iron Man itself as part of its new internal production slate. In such a case, the film would likely be distributed by Paramount, where Marvel has a distribution deal.

"Right now we're concentrating on finding the right creative talent," explained Marvel Studios' Avi Arad. "It's not a part of our slate deal, but we can raise the money to do it if we choose to. We would also have no difficulty licensing it to another studio."

Late last year, the studio announced Nick Cassavetes was attached to direct, but it turned out The Notebook helmer never had a deal. Drafts by Alfred Gough & Miles Millar (Smallville) and David Hayter (X-Men) didn't get traction.

Marvel will now start development from scratch, commissioning a new script and possibly attaching a director before deciding whether to finance the film itself or license it again. Cassavetes remains a candidate to direct, Arad said.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jon Favreau to Direct Iron Man
Source: The Hollywood Reporter, Variety
April 28, 2006

Marvel Studios has hired Jon Favreau to develop and direct the big-screen adaptation of Iron Man and has attracted an impressive roster of writers to help bring some of its high-profile characters to the big screen, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Favreau will direct a feature version of Marvel's armored hero and develop the script with the writing team of Arthur Marcum and Matt Holloway (Convoy). The project originally was set up at New Line with Nick Cassavetes directing.

Writer-director-actor Favreau previously helmed Zathura: A Space Adventure. He was attached to direct John Carter of Mars for Paramount, but the 11th "Star Trek" movie, from J.J. Abrams and due out in 2008, put a stop to that project for now.

Iron Man will be Favreau's next movie, and he hopes to go behind the camera early next year.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Favreau hasnt done anything in his career worthwhile other than "Swingers". Oh yeah, and gaining 100 lbs.

A-Bomb

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
abomb said:
Favreau hasnt done anything in his career worthwhile other than "Swingers". Oh yeah, and gaining 100 lbs.

A-Bomb

I don't know, he played Sean Astin's friend in "Rudy" and directed Elf, which wasn't THAT bad. He was also the Ultimate Fighting Champion in Friends (although that might not be a "good" thing on his resume).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
mattyboy said:
i really enjoyed made and thought it was pretty entertaining.

Made is another movie where Favreau was decent--unfortunately, Vince Vaughn completely ruined the film.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iron Man Blog Launched
Source: Jon Favreau
May 2, 2006

Iron Man director Jon Favreau has announced that he's launched a Blog for discussion on the movie. The following is from his MySpace Blog:

Iron Man will indeed be my next movie. Marvel is distributing it through Paramount which, for those of you playing at home, is also the studio that is developing John Carter of Mars. That project is still a huge priority for me and I am still very much attached to it both as a director and producer.

Iron Man is the first Marvel production under its new distribution arrangement. My hope is that this will be reflected in the quality of the movie. Their films are self-financed and, as a result, don't have to run the typical creative gauntlet of studio development. What Marvel says, goes.

As far as specifics, it will be set in the present and, as you would probably expect, includes a version of the origin story.

I have set up a MySpace discussion group. I will post new info there as things come together. The internet is full of faulty info. I wanted to have at least one place where the facts would be correct.

You can check out the Blog here.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
abomb said:

A-Bomb
And he was on the Sopranos. I never liked him after he tried to steal christopher’s story.

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I keep thinking George Clooney would make a good Tony Stark and then I get flashabacks of that Batman suit with the nipples.

I want to see repulser rays!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clooney would make a much better Stark than batman. In Batman you had to believe that he was a bad ass. In Iron Man all you have to believe is he's an alcoholic, womanizing technological-genius.

I'm sure I'll be flamed by fanboys for this, but I think Matt McConeghey (sp?) would make a good Tony Stark.