Making a Case For QB Nick Foles

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I like your thinking Mitch. I wouldn't give up the farm for him. I would like to make an even swap Stanton for Foles or give up at best a second round pick but I would take Foles over Stanton. I would even take Mike Glennon over Stanton. We need to bring in another QB no matter what though. The next two seasons will be our best chance at another Super Bowl run and we can't fall apart at that position again.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next year? Palmer maybe has age catching up with him, but he's more talented and familiar with the system.

It's folly to think that Foles is going to pass for 27 TDs and 2 INTs every year. It increasingly seems like that was an outlier based on a ton of other factors that won't transfer to a new team.

Add in the fact that the EAGLES weren't sold on Foles to begin 2014; there were whispers that the staff preferred Sanchez even before the injury. STarting with an All-World offensive line and All Pro running back.

I never said he would/could need to go 27:2. He just needs to play solid and have closer to a 3:2 TD ratio. This defense can carry the rest. Yes, his career stats are buoyed by his 27:2 year.... he has shown plenty enough to be very productive on this team.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Foles is a system QB, him and Mark Sanchez put up the same stats. Hes as much a Franchise QB as Mark Sanchez is. He doesnt fit Arians scheme or maybe we aint getting him anyway

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Foles is a system QB, him and Mark Sanchez put up the same stats. Hes as much a Franchise QB as Mark Sanchez is. He doesnt fit Arians scheme or maybe we aint getting him anyway

I think you are selling Foles very short here. We probably will see this year if the Rams acquire him.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If you compare Palmer's stats to Foles's stats you will find they are very similar for 2014 with the exception of the INTs. Foles had 8 more than Palmer in two more games. If you compare their 2013 stats then Foles was far superior to Palmer throwing 20 less INT in 3 less games.

So what does this tell you? For me it means that there is potential that Foles could be just as good as Palmer and maybe even better. I think he is worth a gamble for the right price. If the Eagles don't trade him then he is an UFA after next season.

For my money I would rather take a flyer on Glennon who put up more than decent stats in 2013 and 2014 while being sacked many more than either Palmer or Foles.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
havent we learned about getting Eagle Qbs?

nobody knows Foles better than the Eagles. Good, young starting QBs are difficult to come by. When a team gives up one one ---- buyer beware.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think the ceiling for Foles would be Carson Palmer which I think is great for a guy who was drafted in the middle rounds. That being said, I haven't seen anything from Foles that makes me believe he is worth acquiring. Why allocate money or picks to try and get something you is as good as we already have.

Also, the difference between the two offenses is huge. Kelly's offense is predicated on getting the ball out quick, and stretching the defense side line to side line. The Cardinals offense is predicated on holding the ball, and stretching the defense vertically. Two totally different worlds. Foles struggled this past year with a better offensive line, better RBs, and in a very QB friendly system.

My point is I believe Foles could function in this offense, but I don't see any reason to expect him to be an improvement over Palmer in any way. You would be trading for average which is kind of pointless.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don't think Foles would fit in this offense any more than Alex Smith. They both need to be in the right system to be effective. Whereas, a guy with the arm talent of Palmer can be successful in about any system.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I don't think Foles would fit in this offense any more than Alex Smith. They both need to be in the right system to be effective. Whereas, a guy with the arm talent of Palmer can be successful in about any system.

Foles is operating in a system that works against his skill set, but still having success. He's better off in a pro style or west coast offense. I think it's funny when people say he "can't make all of the throws" or is a "system" quarterback when he's proven otherwise as evidenced by having success in two NFL systems.

His rookie season, in Reid's offense, he posted a 100+ rating in all but one of his starts. His first season with Kelly, 27 TDs 2 INTs. This season he operated with a broken down offensive line and an ineffective running back. Otherwise, he wasn't horrible.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Never going to happen he isn't the type of QB BA likes.

Big Ben, Carson Palmer, etc, big strong armed QB's is what we're going to want for the starting role, Stanton is the only exception but knows the system and is fine for a backup role.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Foles but I don't see him as a vertical passing QB, he just does not get enough on the ball to make reliable deep throws. He CAN throw it deep but he does so with so much loft that defensive backs can adjust. The guy is cool under pressure and very accurate in the short game, but I don't see him as a fit here.

And on-top of that, as a few others have noted, no one knows Foles abilities better than the Eagles. Teams don't put good young QBs on the market, at least not unless they have a phenomenal option in front of them, and the Eagles clearly don't. I like him more than I liked Kolb... but as many of you know, I like a kick in the nuts about as much as I liked the Kolb trade, but I would be hesitant to give up more than a 3rd or later round pick for him.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't think Foles is a bad QB. I think he's pretty solid, and can run Kelly's offense pretty well.

That being said, we're talking about a team getting rid of a guy who hasn't thrown a pass in the NFL yet. There are very few examples of castaways being huge successes in this kind of scenario - and really, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Drew Brees. I don't want to end up in another Kolb scenario. Acquiring Foles means getting rid of Palmer, and I just don't know that Foles can be trusted to be less fragile and a stronger signal caller than Carson.

I would like to keep on the developmental course. If that isn't Logan Thomas, it may be a pick this year, but I would stay in house instead of lofting a high draft pick or player for someone who isn't the answer on his own team.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Foles is operating in a system that works against his skill set, but still having success. He's better off in a pro style or west coast offense. I think it's funny when people say he "can't make all of the throws" or is a "system" quarterback when he's proven otherwise as evidenced by having success in two NFL systems.

His rookie season, in Reid's offense, he posted a 100+ rating in all but one of his starts. His first season with Kelly, 27 TDs 2 INTs. This season he operated with a broken down offensive line and an ineffective running back. Otherwise, he wasn't horrible.
I never said he was a bad QB. I said he doesn't fit Arians style offense. Neither Kelly's nor Reid's offense is predicated on getting the ball downfield.

For Arians offense, even though he hasn't had the success Foles has had, Mike Glennon is a better fit.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
I never said he was a bad QB. I said he doesn't fit Arians style offense. Neither Kelly's nor Reid's offense is predicated on getting the ball downfield.

For Arians offense, even though he hasn't had the success Foles has had, Mike Glennon is a better fit.

I am skeptical of trading for a QB but Foles has aired it out deep several times and has been pretty dang accurate with it.

One thing I do like about Foles, is that he's shown good mental capabilities in picking up and having some success in 2 completely different systems in such a short time.

Would I trade for him and do I think he's a franchise quarterback? I'm just not sure yet.

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
Sure for a 2nd and 1st round CB like Peterson. Never again!!

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would be interested to know your reasons why.

In 2013 he was the highest rated QB in the NFL with 27/2 TD/int ratio.

203/317 2,891 64% a whopping 9.12 ave gain 27 TD and 2 int.

No coincidence his numbers faltered this year without Jackson to throw to. On a team with Fitz, Floyd, Brownx2 he could flourish. But the drawback is unlike Philly we don't have a legit pass catching threat TE like Foles has with Celek and Ertz.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
No coincidence his numbers faltered this year without Jackson to throw to. On a team with Fitz, Floyd, Brownx2 he could flourish. But the drawback is unlike Philly we don't have a legit pass catching threat TE like Foles has with Celek and Ertz.

If Carlson would return to his old form we would. Oh...and...2015 will be Rob Housler's break out year :p

New Username

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Disagree. He has just as good of a chance if not better IMO. Palmer has age coming up with him and he wasn't playing all that great to begin with. Yes his INTs were down, and his QB rating was good, but he wasn't winning games for us like Foles has done with the Eagles in the past.

Hey Bagarocks! He was 6-0. He wasn't winning games????

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

No, but I've seen Foles regularly make those throws and connect on them.

Honestly, this is a moot point because the team isn't going to trade for another QB (especially with the Eagles). We did have the opportunity to draft Foles, but instead, we took Jamel Flemming :bang:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
On a team with Fitz, Floyd, Brownx2 he could flourish.

Really where does this receiving corps even rank among NFL teams? Probably somewhere around average.

The cards have no real threat at TE.
Fitz is living off his reputation.
Floyd has not made the step to be a top receiver.