Magic @ Suns Friday game thread 1-10-20

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. And I think it makes it clear who is not buying in or doing what he’s supposed to do.

During last nights game, I don’t remember exactly but Booker I think turned it over under the basket, and yelled something at ayton for not trailing or doing something.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
During last nights game, I don’t remember exactly but Booker I think turned it over under the basket, and yelled something at ayton for not trailing or doing something.
Ayton was out of position all night...I'm glad Booker yelled at him. He was also getting bullied by guys half his size.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel that you're attacking my "fandom" when you say I can't stand up for keeping the Suns in Phoenix and question what sort of fan would want to see their team relocated across the country.

Nice of you to make a cameo here in a game thread, what is this, the third or fourth you've been in this season?

Edit: I'm not questioning your fandom, I'm genuinely curious why you aren't in more game threads as the mod on this board.

Your posts were reported 5 times.

You are perma gone. Congrats

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
He is becoming more of a defense presence all the time. He is presently our top big man defender. Yes, he is more effective than Baynes although Baynes does a better job of directing the defense. He is our best rebounder by far and we really need that presence. He is doing better switching off recently--much better than last year.

His offense has regressed. I think that is why he is not starting. Monty wants Ayton to dive to the rim on the pick and roll. Ayton sets half-hearted picks and then hangs around the free-throw line. You hear Monty yelling "dive!" throughout the game. At some point the only thing you can do is sit a player down if he won't do what you ask.

I don't know if he is hard of hearing, just hard-headed, or in some sort of la la land on offense.

I heard someone say recently that big guys have been instructed to take it easy and not hurt other players from the time they were in elementary school. After all, they usually have adult sized bodies in upper elementary school. Not sure if that is it.

I have seen enough of him to think that his problem is not so much lack of aggressiveness but rather confusion or bad habits or instinct kicking in. Just my observation though.
And/or, as I've suggested, he is afraid of contact (as in dive) or fight for rebounds rather than catch rebounds.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Ayton was out of position all night...I'm glad Booker yelled at him. He was also getting bullied by guys half his size.
As I posted some time ago, I believe that Ayton being raised in the Bahamas is the reason for his laid back approach.

And his time in San Diego, Tucson and Phoenix (all laid back compared to most U.S. cities) didn't change it.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Contrary to several misguided posts, Book has been playing some of the best defense on the team ALL season...
He's leading by example leaving it all ot on the floor and taking the coaching to heart. He's been very steady on both ends most all of the year. His three point shot has been streaky though especially of late. But he's really putting together the full arsenal.

The team is finding ways to combat the pressure D's that are coming their way. I hope they continue to attack pressure D's, avoid the TO and find the open man with better consistency. Rubio and Book need to keep the ship steady, along with Okobo and TJ, while they're jn.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cant’t really see/hear the Monty stuff on tv. But if he’s yelling “dive” at Ayton all the time surely he’s instructing him to do so in practice, before the game, during timeouts, and halftime too. Raising the “maybe he’s hard of hearing” is just a laughable attempt to find reason to deflect blame.

I also just laugh at the “it’s been coached outta him his whole life” apology. Never have I heard or seen this. I have an 8 and a 9 year old. They’re big boys. Both I and their coaches would never utter that silliness. Growing up playing sports - in all sports - again I never heard such silliness. Not to mention, why did this only apparently hold Ayton back and not all the other bigs who come into the league aggressive and physical? I mean . . . honestly . . . wow . . . I just can’t . . .

and while he might be confused, there’s just no confusing montys comments that he wants him to play bully ball. He’s getting the instruction. To be averaging less than a FT/game is just plain lack of aggressiveness. You just can’t paint lipstick on that pig.
Well. The hard of hearing comment was intended to get a laugh and the coaches out of him was something Eddie Johnson said. I have no clue. He might just not be very bright.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@Phrazbit

Since you were clutch getting the Suns the win please tell me you are attending the Hornets game. :cool:

lol, I wish. Unfortunately I will be at a large family dinner... womp womp!

I believe... but I am not certain, that the Suns have now won the last 4 games I've attended. Which, given our record the last 2 years, is a minor miracle. It actually might be longer, because I know I was at the Knicks OT win 3 years ago... but I am trying to remember if I saw a loss later that season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I posted some time ago, I believe that Ayton being raised in the Bahamas is the reason for his laid back approach.

And his time in San Diego, Tucson and Phoenix (all laid back compared to most U.S. cities) didn't change it.
Nah. Don’t buy it. The kid has been plenty aggressive on defense this year. I think he is just not as mentally quick to pick up a offenses as other players. He does not seem to know how to run the pick and roll. He looks like he is still tying to run Igors blender thing. He also is not good at sealing his man to get open down low. I imagine that up til now, all he had to do to receive the ball down low was for the guard to throw it high enough that only he could get it. That doesn’t work as well in the NBA and Book and Rubio are not interested in racking up turnovers trying it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol, I wish. Unfortunately I will be at a large family dinner... womp womp!

I believe... but I am not certain, that the Suns have now won the last 4 games I've attended. Which, given our record the last 2 years, is a minor miracle. It actually might be longer, because I know I was at the Knicks OT win 3 years ago... but I am trying to remember if I saw a loss later that season.

Your plus/minus for games attended must be phenomenal. Enjoy the family get together. :thumbup:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

I put this on the fans here in AZ. My friends from Boston, NYC, etc, boo the crap out of their players who are stinking up the floor. Everytime Ayton takes a fade away jumper and doesn't draw contact, fans should be booing. When he goes strong and draws contact, fams should cheer. That's how fans back east work it from what I have been told.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Nah. Don’t buy it. The kid has been plenty aggressive on defense this year. I think he is just not as mentally quick to pick up a offenses as other players. He does not seem to know how to run the pick and roll. He looks like he is still tying to run Igors blender thing. He also is not good at sealing his man to get open down low. I imagine that up til now, all he had to do to receive the ball down low was for the guard to throw it high enough that only he could get it. That doesn’t work as well in the NBA and Book and Rubio are not interested in racking up turnovers trying it.

In the military, when you are shooting at targets in basic training to qualify as either Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman or Fail . . .

If your weapon misfires, you get one chance to do it over. It is called an "alibi". One chance. Not an ongoing excuse.

Well, no matter what alibis we conceive (you and I and a few others), all that matters are progress and results.

Especially from the #1 pick.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I put this on the fans here in AZ. My friends from Boston, NYC, etc, boo the crap out of their players who are stinking up the floor. Everytime Ayton takes a fade away jumper and doesn't draw contact, fans should be booing. When he goes strong and draws contact, fams should cheer. That's how fans back east work it from what I have been told.
Having left the East Coast for Phoenix 41 years ago, I can attest to that. Not only the fans back east, but in L.A, as well. And I would bet San Antonio, too.

Moving here was a labor of love. And the laid back atmosphere was part of it. I guess I want my cake and eat it, too.

True, I was never satisfied that Jerry didn't take the next step with his Suns teams. But under Sarver, it has regressed.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In the military, when you are shooting at targets in basic training to qualify as either Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman or Fail . . .

If your weapon misfires, you get one chance to do it over. It is called an "alibi". One chance. Not an ongoing excuse.

Well, no matter what alibis we conceive (you and I and a few others), all that matters are progress and results.

Especially from the #1 pick.
It’s not an excuse or an alabi. It just is what it is.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just remember an observation from watching this game live...

Mo Bamba... he has zero self confidence and for a dude with freakish measurements, you'd hardly know he is on the court. He wasn't even able to set screens, the dude bails well before contact, which makes sense given that it looks like a stiff breeze will knock him over. Really, all he seems to do is hunt for an occasional weak side block and miss 3 pointers.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I just remember an observation from watching this game live...

Mo Bamba... he has zero self confidence and for a dude with freakish measurements, you'd hardly know he is on the court. He wasn't even able to set screens, the dude bails well before contact, which makes sense given that it looks like a stiff breeze will knock him over. Really, all he seems to do is hunt for an occasional weak side block and miss 3 pointers.

Something else I noticed from this game was Aaron Gordon. He looked like a star vs the Lakers but looks mediocre most other nights. If someone could harness him in help him become more consistent...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Something else I noticed from this game was Aaron Gordon. He looked like a star vs the Lakers but looks mediocre most other nights. If someone could harness him in help him become more consistent...

I maintain he is exactly what we need at power forward.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I maintain he is exactly what we need at power forward.
I am not a fan of this years draft prospects so I would have no problem trading Tyler Johnson and a lightly protected first for Gordon.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am not a fan of this years draft prospects so I would have no problem trading Tyler Johnson and a lightly protected first for Gordon.

I slightly disagree, I think Obi Toppin would be a perfect PF for the Suns.

I say slightly, because I doubt that he will be available, if the protection of the potentially traded 1st rounder is light.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson