Leinart Q&A: All fired up

BradMannTX

Puh-shaw
Reaction score
Montgomery, TX -- Birthplace of the Texas Flag!
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9408065

Leinart Q&A: All fired up
http://ad.doubleclick.net/click;h=v....atdmt.com/M0N/go/ssc0140000001m0n/direct/01/
You must be registered for see images

(Draftees from the 2006 NFL Draft sat down for a couple minutes and shared their thoughts and feelings about being picked. This entry comes from USC quarterback Matt Leinart, selected No. 10 by the Arizona Cardinals.)
Q: Who was on the other end of the phone who called and what was the wait like?
[FONT=arial,helvetica]Williams video
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]
Cardinals' top pick Matt Leinart talks with Kara Henderson
Click here to watch
[/FONT]A: Coach [Dennis] Green was on the phone. I was sitting in the room and my dad said, 'Matt, telephone'. Coach said it was a gift from heaven that I was there at 10. He said there's a new stadium. He's like, 'The great thing is you don't have to play right away, and you have great wide receivers, great running back and we're going to do some great things'. Again he said it was a blessing that I was there and I was like, 'Coach, I'm fired up.'
Q: What was the wait like?
A: It wasn't even that bad. Still a top-10 pick. I didn't expect that, but you've got to go into this just thinking -- not get your hopes up you're going to go to a certain place because obviously it's out of my hands and out of my control. But I'm just very happy that this whole process is over with, and all the nitpicking and negative things all come out for some reason, and I don't understand that. It's a game of football and that's why we play, but I'm excited to move on.
Q: What was the last month like for you?
The Cardinals got their gem in Matt Leinart at pick No. 10. A: Crazy, a lot of hard work, but you have to enjoy the process. Anyone would love to be in my position that I'm in right now. To be drafted in the NFL is an honor for me, and it's something that I've been dreaming of for a long time. And now I've got a chance to take care of my family and move on to a great place, a lot of golf, hot weather; it's what I'm used to.
Q: What are your thoughts about playing with Kurt Warner, who has had Super Bowl success?
A: I actually had a chance to meet him about a month ago in Phoenix at an event. Very nice guy, just talking to people right now, they say he's awesome. He's the type of veteran that's going to help the young guy. He's won a Super Bowl, been an MVP. There are not a lot of better guys in the league to learn behind that guy.
Q: Do you see any similarities between the USC offense and what you'll be running in Arizona?
A: I don't know a lot about their offense. I just know they have a lot of weapons. That's what I like and that's what I've been used to. I know Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald, actually hung out with Larry a few times, just various college things and had a chance to meet Anquan last month at the same event with Kurt. Edgerrin James is one of the premiere backs in the league. It's a great situation for me, and it's like how Carson [Palmer] went into Cincinnati and had a chance to learn and had some great weapons around him and look at what he's doing. I just look at it as motivation and I'm going to be fired up.

nurnay

whatever
Reaction score
He's certainly saying all the right things. Let's hope he doesn't have to play this season!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i saw this on the front page of nfl.com and its like a weeks old article

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
nurnay said:
He's certainly saying all the right things. Let's hope he doesn't have to play this season!

My best case scenario (although I wouldn't feel good about it at the time) would have Warner getting us out to like a 7-2, 6-3 start, getting some small injury that lets him sit, have the kid play 3 games, and then have Warner healthy again to lead us into the playoffs. That way even if we lose all of Leinart's starts, he gets experience in case Warner goes down in the playoffs, and Warner can still lead us there.

Okay, so saying that, I'm still hoping not to have to have a heart attack, so I HOPE Warner doesn't go down at all ;)

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
if...

If Kurt gets us to 7-2, I can't imagine a small injury that takes him out would make me happy. I know Matt's our future, but how much more could you want from a QB than a 7-2 start when we haven't had 7 wins in years?

Stout said:
My best case scenario (although I wouldn't feel good about it at the time) would have Warner getting us out to like a 7-2, 6-3 start, getting some small injury that lets him sit, have the kid play 3 games, and then have Warner healthy again to lead us into the playoffs. That way even if we lose all of Leinart's starts, he gets experience in case Warner goes down in the playoffs, and Warner can still lead us there.

Okay, so saying that, I'm still hoping not to have to have a heart attack, so I HOPE Warner doesn't go down at all ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard