Jack Reacher

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would usually agree, but in this case, Jack Reacher's size and over-powering strength is an essential piece of the books.

The movie was good - but it was more an adaption of a story created by Lee Child, that just happened to have the same name as the books.

Which is one of the weakest aspects of the books IMO. In this day of guns and readily available weapons, having a guy that relies on hand to hand versus relaying on over-powering strength is more realistic IMO.

Maybe 30 years ago that aspect made for good story but not now.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is one of the weakest aspects of the books IMO. In this day of guns and readily available weapons, having a guy that relies on hand to hand versus relaying on over-powering strength is more realistic IMO.

Maybe 30 years ago that aspect made for good story but not now.

Then don't call it a jack reacher movie :D

Maybe Jack Reach-around ;)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then don't call it a jack reacher movie :D

Maybe Jack Reach-around ;)

That would have worked for me. :D

Seriously, that version of Jack Reacher for me fit more in the Sly or Arnold days with bigger than life action stars beating people up with sheer muscle and dodging an unrealistic amount of bullets....a la 80's early 90's style. Audiences simply for the most part don't buy that crap anymore unless the hero is from the X-Men or Avengers. I can see why they updated that.

Reaction score
That would have worked for me. :D

Seriously, that version of Jack Reacher for me fit more in the Sly or Arnold days with bigger than life action stars beating people up with sheer muscle and dodging an unrealistic amount of bullets....a la 80's early 90's style. Audiences simply for the most part don't buy that crap anymore unless the hero is from the X-Men or Avengers. I can see why they updated that.

Do you think Arnold would have made a better Jack Reacher? Honest question. Never read the books. Same question goes to you Dback Jon.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think Arnold would have made a better Jack Reacher? Honest question. Never read the books. Same question goes to you Dback Jon.

Not with that accent...lol

Dolph Lungren, maybe - if he could speak :)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Arnold's too old. He is 66.

Reacher is late 30's in the first books. Since the movie was based on the 8th or 9th book in the series he is likely in his early 40's. Cruise is already 51 so that's another stretch. :D

I would have loved to have seen Ray Stevenson, Jim Caviezel or Liev Schreiber (all in their 40's and much closer in size to the real Reacher) cast in the role.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Reacher is late 30's in the first books. Since the movie was based on the 8th or 9th book in the series he is likely in his early 40's. Cruise is already 51 so that's another stretch. :D

I would have loved to have seen Ray Stevenson, Jim Caviezel or Liev Schreiber (all in their 40's and much closer in size to the real Reacher) cast in the role.

At 6'3" Schreiber looks the part. 6'4" Stevenson as well.

Not 5'7" Cruise

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

No which is my point. Even in his prime I don't think an Arnold type is a realistic modern conveyance of the character...accent or no accent. No matter what actor you name....I just think a guy overpowering someone else with shear muscle is so contrived nowadays.

Reaction score

Thanks for the responses guys. Liev Schreiber is the guy I was thinking of as well. Arnold definitely has the size but Schreiber is a better actor.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
a solid B for me. i haven't read the books, so I came in with no Cruise-isn't-anything-like-Reacher-baggage, but it was smart, fun, had a real nice creepy turn by Werner Herzog as the villain and Cruise does what he does best... make a believable action star... at least for me anyway.

Damn good flick! Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Totally agree with both of you. This movie was awesome! I haven't read the books but I would much rather prefer my action stars to be intellectual, tactical guys rather than HULK SMASH! I really liked this movie and I like Tom Cruise as an actor in general, regardless of all the scientology/katie holmes nonsense, who cares? He makes solid movies for the most part it's like it's one of those things where it's become cool to not like certain actors.

Still one of my favorite action guys. I cant wait for that Edge of Tomorrow movie to come out it looks badass!

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree with both of you. This movie was awesome! I haven't read the books but I would much rather prefer my action stars to be intellectual, tactical guys rather than HULK SMASH! I really liked this movie and I like Tom Cruise as an actor in general, regardless of all the scientology/katie holmes nonsense, who cares? He makes solid movies for the most part it's like it's one of those things where it's become cool to not like certain actors.

Still one of my favorite action guys. I cant wait for that Edge of Tomorrow movie to come out it looks badass!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The author endorsed the casting. Good enough for me.

Bwahaha! Tom Clancy once said The Sum of All Fears movie was exactly how he imagined it as a book. Except the major political problem--the affair between the President and the NSA (I think) director--went by the wayside because the NSA part went to Morgan Freeman, and they subbed a Nazi conspiracy in for the actual Middle Eastern terrorist plot. No, authors never, EVER sell out for money.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Bwahaha! Tom Clancy once said The Sum of All Fears movie was exactly how he imagined it as a book. Except the major political problem--the affair between the President and the NSA (I think) director--went by the wayside because the NSA part went to Morgan Freeman, and they subbed a Nazi conspiracy in for the actual Middle Eastern terrorist plot. No, authors never, EVER sell out for money.

SO WHAT? You complain so much, can't you EVER enjoy something for what it is? Sounds like you actually achieved that with Grand Budapest Hotel, but most of the time, especially with stuff you've never seen, you complain just to complain.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
SO WHAT? You complain so much, can't you EVER enjoy something for what it is? Sounds like you actually achieved that with Grand Budapest Hotel, but most of the time, especially with stuff you've never seen, you complain just to complain.

lol You just answered your own question--bad timing to whine about my posts. And I actually liked Jack Reacher, the movie--I think I commented on it, but it's been a while, so I'd have to check. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If I just like a movie, I generally don't come onto the board to give a +1 I liked it too. Too boring and a waste of my time. If I love a movie, like Grand Budapest, I of course comment. If I don't like something, or think a project is bad, I comment. When someone makes a goofball statement, I also comment. I mean, really, I know you're a Hollywood guy, but that means you should KNOW how badly authors sell out for the cash. You should know that more than the rest of us. Is it that you're jaded by Hollywood and just don't care about the sellouts? Perhaps so, and in that case, I guess I wouldn't blame you.

Edit: I did not comment that I liked this one. Then again, I thought it was okay, not bad, not great, so that's probably why I didn't :)

Last edited:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Great choice if he could pull it off. I'd like to see Hugh Jackman give it a shot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson