OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one thing Tom can't do is act 6'5, 230-250 lbs...

He should have been in The Hobbit. :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah... i'll plunk down some duckets to go see this one. say what you will about how bugnuts crazy Cruise is... and he IS bugnuts crazy... but he's still a hell of an action star. If MI4 didn't reinforce that idea for you, you as crazy as he is! (hell... I actually thought he was relatively entertaining in that pretty horrible Knight And Day movie).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah... i'll plunk down some duckets to go see this one. say what you will about how bugnuts crazy Cruise is... and he IS bugnuts crazy... but he's still a hell of an action star. If MI4 didn't reinforce that idea for you, you as crazy as he is! (hell... I actually thought he was relatively entertaining in that pretty horrible Knight And Day movie).

Agreed on all of that, even the Knight and Day movie. He's the wrong person to play that character in the book but fortunately for us, he'll be playing it in a movie. I forget all about the book it comes from the minute I sit down to watch a flick.

Steve

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I liked Cruise in The Samuri. Or how ever you spell samuri. Haha

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Ducats :BIM: And who watched MI2 or 3, let alone 4? :)

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Cruise can be Lestat, who was supposed to be a 6'5 blonde germanic badass...he can pull this off.

Underrated actor.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Cruise can be Lestat, who was supposed to be a 6'5 blonde germanic badass...he can pull this off.

Underrated actor.

Lestat is a 6' blonde bisexual with long hair that's into singing and playing the piano and the violin.

The only other actor to play him in a film (Stuart Townsend) is barely 5'11.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jack Reacher

Release Date: December 21, 2012
Studio: Paramount Pictures
Director: Christopher McQuarrie
Screenwriter: Josh Olson, Christopher McQuarrie
Genre: Thriller
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for violence, language and some drug material)

Starring: Tom Cruise, Rosamund Pike, David Oyelowo, Richard Jenkins, Alexia Fast, Robert Duvall, Jai Courtney, Werner Herzog

Plot Summary: From The New York Times bestselling author Lee Child comes one of the most compelling heroes to step from novel to screen - ex-military investigator Jack Reacher (Tom Cruise).

When a gunman takes five lives in what seems like an open and shut murder case, all evidence points to the suspect in custody. On interrogation, the suspect offers up a single note: “Get Jack Reacher!” So begins an extraordinary chase for the truth, pitting Jack Reacher against an unexpected enemy, with a skill for violence, a secret to keep and a target on Reacher’s back.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a solid B for me. i haven't read the books, so I came in with no Cruise-isn't-anything-like-Reacher-baggage, but it was smart, fun, had a real nice creepy turn by Werner Herzog as the villain and Cruise does what he does best... make a believable action star... at least for me anyway.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very enjoyable, once I got past the midget playing Jack Reacher.

Cruise did get the mannerism, etc down, and portrayed the character well, but is too pretty for Jack Reacher.

Besides that, two thumbs up.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Saw this movie only because our first 3 choices were sold out. Had never even heard of the books, had not even seen the trailer.

Overall, it was pretty good. The whole premise/motivation/plot seemed lame to me, but it was ok.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn good flick! Thoroughly enjoyed it!

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one is on Netflix and I have skipped over it for the past few weeks. I deicded to watch it because I needed to get some work done on a paper for school and thought it would be good background noise. I actually enjoyed it for what it was and did not get as much work done as I wanted.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Damn good flick! Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Me too! Loved the initial 5-minute setup with no dialog. The bus stop scene after the car chase was brilliant!

Cruise was a fine choice. "I mean to beat you to death and drink your blood from a boot!"

Per Child:
Explaining the casting decision, author Lee Child said that it would be impossible to find a suitable actor to play the giant Reacher and to recreate the feel of the book onscreen, and that Cruise had the talent to make an effective Reacher.[15] Child also said, "Reacher's size in the books is a metaphor for an unstoppable force, which Cruise portrays in his own way."[12] Of Cruise's relatively small stature, Child said, "With another actor you might get 100% of the height but only 90% of Reacher. With Tom, you'll get 100% of Reacher with 90% of the height."

Reading the first book right now. It's great.

My son and I read the first book too. Great stuff!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I simply don't try and dwell too much on book versions of a character versus the movie versions. They hardly ever match up. Basically, what you end up saying is that if physically a person doesn't match it's a bad fit. The problem with that, is there are a TON of actors they may fit a part physically but can't act worth a lick.

Given the choice....give me a very good actor who might not match up to my vision from the book over some guy who looks alot like the picture in my head but can't act. It's very very rare you can have both. TC did a great job in the part IMO.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I simply don't try and dwell too much on book versions of a character versus the movie versions. They hardly ever match up. Basically, what you end up saying is that if physically a person doesn't match it's a bad fit. The problem with that, is there are a TON of actors they may fit a part physically but can't act worth a lick.

Given the choice....give me a very good actor who might not match up to my vision from the book over some guy who looks alot like the picture in my head but can't act. It's very very rare you can have both. TC did a great job in the part IMO.

I would usually agree, but in this case, Jack Reacher's size and over-powering strength is an essential piece of the books.

The movie was good - but it was more an adaption of a story created by Lee Child, that just happened to have the same name as the books.