Reacher (TV series reboot)(Amazon Prime)

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would like to add, if you have someone who might not want to see full frontal male nudity, stay clear.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I started this the other night. Whoever described the lead actor as “wooden” is spot on. Would much rather have Cruise in the role.

It’s a decent popcorn show. Would be much better if they had a better actor in the lead role.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I started this the other night. Whoever described the lead actor as “wooden” is spot on. Would much rather have Cruise in the role.

It’s a decent popcorn show. Would be much better if they had a better actor in the lead role.
Cruise is 10x the actor "Effing Cop" is; "Effing Cop" is 10x the Reacher Cruise is.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Cruise is 10x the actor "Effing Cop" is; "Effing Cop" is 10x the Reacher Cruise is.

This is from an NPR critic:

As for Ritchson, whose deadpan line-readings sometimes made me think of early Clint Eastwood, he gives Reacher the intimidating, man-mountain presence missing from the movie version played by bantam-weight Tom Cruise. Ritchson's Reacher could use Cruise's as a sock puppet.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right there with you. I'm enjoying this show immensely. So far the writing has been excellent, which is a rarity these days. I hope it carries through the whole season. "Effing Cop" has acted quite well, I think. What some see as wooden delivery I am seeing as wry humor and blunt brute force in turns. Nothing special, and he's not winning any awards, but it's perfectly fine for the show and the role.

Exactly my thoughts on this show! I'm hooked!

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
A couple of quotes from book readers:

Did you read the books? If not, I can see why you have that opinion but the main character is portrayed exactly as he is written. Dry, sardonic, mostly humorless, overly intense.

Yep, it’s been years since I listened to them, main actor makes Reacher leap off the pages don’t think I have seen him before. Cruise absolutely ruined the movies for me. Impossible to imagine his 5’ whatever frame doing what Reacher does even with Xenu on his side.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Exactly how I feel. Cruise is the better actor by light years which just exposes how bad Alan is. Again, not surprised. I watched him in Titans. I have watched fun popcorn shows before with leads that were not that great. I am OK with it. To me in terms of finding the perfect Reacher? Tom was a miss because he didn't fit the part physically. To me Alan is a miss because he simply isn't a great actor. I can still enjoy the show for what it is.

Reaction score
I binged the first season this past weekend. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I also liked the movie version but the tv version is definitely a better fit actor wise.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Finished the show and I really enjoyed it. I’ve read about 10+ of the books and my only complaint is that I don’t think Reacher was big enough. The actor playing reacher is a big guy, but the Reacher in the book was a big guy among big guys. But other than that I thought they dig a good job bringing the book to the screen.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Finished the show and I really enjoyed it. I’ve read about 10+ of the books and my only complaint is that I don’t think Reacher was big enough. The actor playing reacher is a big guy, but the Reacher in the book was a big guy among big guys. But other than that I thought they dig a good job bringing the book to the screen.
lol You've gotten about as big as the industry can and will get with the role.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure they make them any bigger, lol!

I finished it and really liked it. I'm glad it's been renewed, but it kinda sucks the nature of the series means we won't see more of Roscoe and Finlay. I really liked their characters. (always nice to see Kristin Kreuk)

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wife and I watched the first episode and we both liked it. I think the actor playing Reacher has his limits but think he nailed the Reacher persona pretty well. Have read all of the books and enjoy them too.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this guy fits pretty perfectly. In the Book he is 6’5” and chiseled this guys fits the bill 100%

And BTW this is fantastic. Starts at Book 1 in the Reacher series.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure they make them any bigger, lol!

I finished it and really liked it. I'm glad it's been renewed, but it kinda sucks the nature of the series means we won't see more of Roscoe and Finlay. I really liked their characters. (always nice to see Kristin Kreuk)
Agree but with the traveling Reacher I’m sure we will get others we enjoy ;)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree but with the traveling Reacher I’m sure we will get others we enjoy ;)
You can count on two things in a Reacher book:

Reacher beating up some punk
Reacher sleeping with a beautiful woman

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can count on two things in a Reacher book:

Reacher beating up some punk
Reacher sleeping with a beautiful woman
I know out of the 12-15 I’ve read I don’t think I’ve ever been disappointed in a book…. I have approx 12 left to get through all of em and I can’t await.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I think this guy fits pretty perfectly. In the Book he is 6’5” and chiseled this guys fits the bill 100%

And BTW this is fantastic. Starts at Book 1 in the Reacher series.
Trust me, I really like the show and think the actor is fine, but like you said, Reacher is 6’5” and the actor is only 6’2”. Maybe I notice it more because I am 6’4”, but i just didn’t think he towered over everyone else like a 6’5” person would… (I realize I am nitpicking).

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trust me, I really like the show and think the actor is fine, but like you said, Reacher is 6’5” and the actor is only 6’2”. Maybe I notice it more because I am 6’4”, but i just didn’t think he towered over everyone else like a 6’5” person would… (I realize I am nitpicking).
Makes sense to me. I've heard Lee Child speak about Reacher numerous times. Child made him 6'5" so he'd be even taller than him. Child himself is 6'4".

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure the guy you quoted is 6'4" himself, IIRC.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Size matters?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson