Jack Reacher

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Lee Child's Jack Reacher will finally be coming to the big screen, but he won't be as big as he is in the novels....

Seriously?

Tom freaking Cruise is likely going to play the 6'5, 230-250 lb Jack Reacher ??

Ridiculous, IMHO.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/tom...directed-one-shot-for-paramount-and-skydance/

Total sellout by the author. He knows it'll do well with a big star so he'll compromise his own creation. Ugh.

Ask Reacher fans who should play him in the films and Cruise is probably the last person they'd say (because he looks tiny standing next to his own wife).

Bleh. :|

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The upcoming adaptation of the Child book “One Shot” is now just titled Reacher.

The Wikipedia page for Lee Child‘s Jack Reacher character informs readers that Reacher, former Army Military Police Major, lone wolf, and total badass “is a giant, standing at 6′ 5″ tall with a 50-inch chest, and weighing between 210 and 250 pounds. He has ice-blue eyes and dirty blond hair. He has very little body fat, and his muscular physique is completely natural…He is exceptionally strong but is not a good runner. Reacher is strong enough to break a man’s neck with one hand and kill a villain with a single punch to the head or chest. In a fight against a 7 foot, 400 lb steroid-using thug, Reacher was able to lift his opponent into the air and drop him on his head.”

Here is the movie version of Reacher:

You must be registered for see images attach

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I dunno....seems to me if they can turn John Rys Davies into Gimli, then they can make tommy cruise grow a foot and gain a hundred pounds

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, we all know movies take liberties with book descriptions all the time with characters. I mean given the choice of seeing 6 foot 5 wrestler who can't act versus someone who can but tweak the character to simply making him a fighting bad ass is OK with me.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trailer:

Still not a fan of cruise for this role but it looks entertaining none the less.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're no Jack Reacher!

Fans furious over casting of Tom Cruise as hulking action-series hero

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/movies/you_re_no_jack_reacher_mOFW31UVTK9ZptBwhLYx2O

Get ready for the season’s first homeless action hero. Although to be fair, Jack Reacher is homeless by choice — a self-declared hobo, not a vagabond. The star of the best-selling crime thriller series by Lee Child is a bruising former military police officer who now lives off the grid, traveling by bus with nothing more than the clothes on his back.

In the books, one character describes him like this: “His lazy lopsided grin. His tousled hair. His arms, so long they gave him a greyhound’s grace even though he was built like the side of a house. His eyes, cold icy blue like the Arctic. His hands, giant battered mitts that bunched into fists the size of footballs.”

Sound like any actors you know? Maybe Liam Neeson, Chris Hemsworth or Alexander Skarsgård?

How about Tom Cruise, whose casting in Friday’s “Jack Reacher” outraged some Child fans, who know their hero as a six-foot-five, 250-pound lug capable of killing someone with a single punch? Cruise is five-foot — well, you’ve seen those photos of him next to Katie Holmes.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Sadly, I think I have to watch this. It was filmed in the 'Burgh, and they don't try to hide the fact. Also, it's the first major movie premier in Pittsburgh in something like 40 years.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Early reviews say that Cruise gets everything about Reacher right, except the size. As a fan of the books, that is enough to make me excited about this movie all over again.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the books.

Can't see Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.

To me, this would be like casting Kathy Bates as Marilyn Monroe. Sure, she can act, and can probably get the character right, but visually, would ruin the story.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Love the books.

Can't see Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.

To me, this would be like casting Kathy Bates as Marilyn Monroe. Sure, she can act, and can probably get the character right, but visually, would ruin the story.

That's just a TAD extreme, don't you think? :D

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not really. Jack Reacher is supposed to be a 6-5, 250 rough-looking man.

Tom Cruise is as far away from that as Kathy Bates is from Marilyn Monroe.

Tired of Metrosexuals ruining film!! :mulli:

:D

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

Not really. Monroe's defining characteristic was her sexual allure, which Bates does not have.

Reacher's defining characteristic is that he is violent force of nature, blunt and brutal. Not exactly Cruise's quality.

That being said, his portrayal of Vincent the hitman in "Collateral" may be as close to a Jack Reacher character I've ever seen on film (again minus the size). So I think he can do the role justice with his acting, but I just don't know how he can pull off being an imposing anti-hero that fills the screen. Either way, I am so there this weekend to find out.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I think you're both nuts. Tom Cruise can be pretty kick-ass when he wants to, even with his short stature.

Kathy Bates is an overweight old woman who can act. Monroe was a gorgeous young woman who couldn't. :D

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you're both nuts. Tom Cruise can be pretty kick-ass when he wants to, even with his short stature.

Kathy Bates is an overweight old woman who can act. Monroe was a gorgeous young woman who couldn't. :D

You are looking at this from a straight guy's perspective. All men are alike to you.

To me, the difference between Tom Cruise and what Jack Reacher is in the books is as great as Kathy Bates and Marilyn.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You are looking at this from a straight guy's perspective. All men are alike to you.

To me, the difference between Tom Cruise and what Jack Reacher is in the books is as great as Kathy Bates and Marilyn.

Honestly, and if this is depressing, it's up to you, but the books don't matter. If you don't want to support this, then don't buy a ticket. Unfortunately, a lot people will, and a lot of them will be people that don't know that this comes from a book series. So they don't have any frame of reference. It's Tom Cruise kicking arse, and that's all they need, regardless of who he's playing.

And this is most definitely being placed as the start of a multi-film series, so if you don't want to see this continue, tell everyone you come across not to see it. Because a lot of people will.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cant wait Tom cruise be damned

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You aren't looking at Marilyn Monroe from a straight guy's perspective. All women are alike to you.

To me, the difference between Tom Cruise and what Jack Reacher is in the books is significant in one important area but comes nowhere close to approaching the difference between Kathy Bates and Marilyn.

Steve

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Are you a Metrophobe?

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Really? Collateral, the Mission: Impossible movies, Tropic Thunder... :D

Like I said above. He'll probably revive his Vincent character, only this time, he'll be the good guy. That's pretty much Jack Reacher: brilliant, deadly, and a little off.