Reacher (TV series reboot)(Amazon Prime)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Season 2 started with a strong premise but it's falling flat for me. A ton of cliche moments this season that you can see coming from a mile away.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I turned it off when the police guy's friend was supposed to be watching a mom and her kid but had to deliver something and turned to the mom and said here is a gun do you know how to use it?

Too dumb.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Entertaining second season, but not the same caliber as the first season. It was hard to get in to the members of his squad.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I turned it off when the police guy's friend was supposed to be watching a mom and her kid but had to deliver something and turned to the mom and said here is a gun do you know how to use it?

Too dumb.

That ended up making sense though, in a round about way

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I had no background in the books or movies.

I just watched both seasons, moved through them pretty quickly and overall enjoyed it

The guy is physically imposing, just a hulk of a human...... But acting is awful - can't really convey anything ..... The wooden/soulless descriptions are accurate

Maybe the character isn't supposed to have charisma, humor, etc.

The rest of the cast is needed to bring context that his acting can't, which makes it a bit disjointed - they have to have comedic delivery, have to describe him to others (audience included)...... Just a lot of crutches in there

Also a lot of moments that didn't make sense physically - he can also break limbs and knock people out while handcuffed, one handed hang onto a helicopter while holding heavy objects with the other, kick in the front of a car and rip out the driver to deliver a beating, snap leg bones with a single stomp........ Then get worked into a desperate situation with a 1v1 fight against someone half his size

I think the casting makes sense, it's just a shame he offers nothing

I'd totally watch a season 3 though .......

Reaction score
I had no background in the books or movies.

I just watched both seasons, moved through them pretty quickly and overall enjoyed it

The guy is physically imposing, just a hulk of a human...... But acting is awful - can't really convey anything ..... The wooden/soulless descriptions are accurate

Maybe the character isn't supposed to have charisma, humor, etc.

The rest of the cast is needed to bring context that his acting can't, which makes it a bit disjointed - they have to have comedic delivery, have to describe him to others (audience included)...... Just a lot of crutches in there

Also a lot of moments that didn't make sense physically - he can also break limbs and knock people out while handcuffed, one handed hang onto a helicopter while holding heavy objects with the other, kick in the front of a car and rip out the driver to deliver a beating, snap leg bones with a single stomp........ Then get worked into a desperate situation with a 1v1 fight against someone half his size

I think the casting makes sense, it's just a shame he offers nothing

I'd totally watch a season 3 though .......
Others can chime in that's read the books but that's the way he is from what I understand. Short & to the point, very little social skills, etc.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Others can chime in that's read the books but that's the way he is from what I understand. Short & to the point, very little social skills, etc.
Guy didn't even really pull that off though

People like Eastwood have pulled that off countless times, many other actors have

For me, the guy just doesn't deliver anything - fun revenge statements, his crime scene/people reading, his dialogue with friends, his romantic interludes, his reactions to the chaos around - it's all the same and all hollow

Even little moments of levity, like Clark bars or when they broke his toothbrush just are a little flat.

A lot of fun when he's wrecking things and getting over on people - although I'm not sure I need him slashed in the abdomen again and they need to borrow from wrestling and protect that gimmick - no one should stand a chance square up

It's like his character fits somewhere between the incredible hulk and Travis McGee.

Let the story do the work and breathe, which it does at times - S2 used the flashbacks to reveal character and what was important and only slightly had to hit it in the nose

I could just live without everyone around him constantly having to talk about him, reinforce who/what he is and what he stands for - it's not that complicated and should be able to be told through acting and story.

They do this a little with things like the "no" response and lack of apologies.

I just don't need his friend to go on a soliloquy about this situation would make a certain guy feel like he did something and he was at fault, though he knows it's not true and we all know it's not true, he's going to feel it and carry it anyway

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I just thought the first season lent itself to the character much more than season two. I wanted more establishment of Reacher as this wandering soloist before I got the mushy “his unit was his family” story. Felt like that should have come later once he more firmly established that he was a lone wolf. Would’ve juxtaposed his personality against what’s deep inside more clearly.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just thought the first season lent itself to the character much more than season two. I wanted more establishment of Reacher as this wandering soloist before I got the mushy “his unit was his family” story. Felt like that should have come later once he more firmly established that he was a lone wolf. Would’ve juxtaposed his personality against what’s deep inside more clearly.
Great point. They did book one first, then skipped straight to book eleven which is a story bringing up army personnel he considers family, and now they are going to book seven where he is solo again. Frustrating because in the books we get at least seven solo stories before delving deeper into his earlier life in the military.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Great point. They did book one first, then skipped straight to book eleven which is a story bringing up army personnel he considers family, and now they are going to book seven where he is solo again. Frustrating because in the books we get at least seven solo stories before delving deeper into his earlier life in the military.
THAT makes sense.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a meh Season 2. Regardless of the out of order thing, that didn't impact me at all. It was the contrived scenarios that were beyond predictable and cliche. It also felt like they were trying to stretch Alan Richtson's acting chops for season 2 but the dude isn't a great actor so....please don't do that for Season 3. Let Reacher kick ass please.