Reacher (TV series reboot)(Amazon Prime)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just binged this series today. Great job by all involved, IMHO. Felt like a legit Reacher story down to the flashbacks with his family. Spotted Lee Child in the finale right away. Quick cameo. Glad they started off with book one - what a concept, eh? Looking forward to the next season.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Before I continue, I will again repeat that I very much enjoyed the Reacher series we got.

What people here have described as "wooden," is simply Alan Ritchson acting out the reticent nature of Jack Reacher.

With that being said, I find it too bad that Pablo Schreiber was already connected to the Halo series as Master Chief, since he's a genuine 6'5" and I've watched him act his butt off in all his scenes that I remember. He'd be even more perfect as Jack:

You must be registered for see images attach

And who else would have enjoyed the hell out of his real-life brother Liev doing a cameo as Joe Reacher?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before I continue, I will again repeat that I very much enjoyed the Reacher series we got.

What people here have described as "wooden," is simply Alan Ritchson acting out the reticent nature of Jack Reacher.

With that being said, I find it too bad that Pablo Schreiber was already connected to the Halo series as Master Chief, since he's a genuine 6'5" and I've watched him act his butt off in all his scenes that I remember. He'd be even more perfect as Jack:

And who else would have enjoyed the hell out of his real-life brother Liev doing a cameo as Joe Reacher?
Agree with Ritchson's acting. He is acting like Reacher.

Pablo was really good in Den of Thieves.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Agree with Ritchson's acting. He is acting like Reacher.

Pablo was really good in Den of Thieves.

Pablo is unique in that he's known more for his acting, despite his massive size. I enjoyed him in American Gods.

I just can't help but dream of an alternate timeline where 6'5" Pablo and his actual brother Liev who's 6'3" himself, played Jack and Joe Reacher.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That would have been awesome

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I take it you didn't see his last show? He isn't a good actor. He just isn't. He isn't the worst either. It's more than him just acting like Reacher. Again, having said that, he is OK for this part. You are trading him looking more like the character for acting. The rest of the cast is pretty good and the action sequences are fun. Good enough for me.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
No it's not. That's how he acts. If you watched Titans you would see he simply isn't a great actor.

I didn't watch Titans even though I started it because it was a poorly conceptualized and poorly-written show. And this is coming from an avid comic book enthusiast.

I personally wouldn't use that show as any actor's meter, but I'll take your word for it.

With that being said, that maybe how he is normally, but it was perfect for what was needed for Reacher. I guess I'm glad he found his niche?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't watch Titans even though I started it because it was a poorly conceptualized and poorly-written show. And this is coming from an avid comic book enthusiast.

I personally wouldn't use that show as any actor's meter, but I'll take your word for it.

With that being said, that maybe how he is normally, but it was perfect for what was needed for Reacher. I guess I'm glad he found his niche?
Name a show he has been in and I will show you the same level of acting. We will agree that this part doesn't really require him to stretch his acting chops so to speak which is why it's good enough.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take it you didn't see his last show? He isn't a good actor. He just isn't. He isn't the worst either. It's more than him just acting like Reacher. Again, having said that, he is OK for this part. You are trading him looking more like the character for acting. The rest of the cast is pretty good and the action sequences are fun. Good enough for me.
I've read 23 Reacher books and I feel he is more than just OK for this part. He looks and acts like the character. What more could you want? Unless you don't know WHO Reacher from the books really is and you are just guessing at how the role should be played...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I've read 23 Reacher books and I feel he is more than just OK for this part. He looks and acts like the character. What more could you want? Unless you don't know WHO Reacher from the books really is and you are just guessing at how the role should be played...
Look, I get that the character is straight forward and pretty much doesn't say much of anything. There's more to acting than just standing there looking intimidating, especially for the lead actor.

That being said, I am really digging the show, and I'm eating crow that the actor playing Reacher isn't as bad as I thought he was. He still has lots of problems in any scene requiring emotion, and occasionally his blank stare portrays stupidity more than fear, but the writing is really good and the mystery is pretty absorbing. His physical presence does work for the show. So definitely a B+ so far, and I'm 3 episodes in. Starting to figure out who the "bad guy" is, and not sure that's a good thing this early, but hopefully there are some twists coming up.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have read many of the Reacher books as well. Although I checked out about halfway through. What more could I want? A better actor? Sure he looks more the part but Tom is the better actor bar none. When reading the books I never read the dialogue and thought...yeah..that is a cheesy delivery or bad. That happens from time to time watching this show. That doesn't feel like Reacher to me and doesn't happen when I read the book.

Let me repeat. I think it's good enough for this show. Just like I suspect belief that Tom's height didn't match with Reacher in the films, I can suspend belief that this actor is distracting sometimes unlike when I read the books. It's good enough for me and I am still enjoying the show.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally watched the finale last night. Solid show. I still feel the same about the lead but still a solid show. Looking forward to Season 2.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alex and I binged this.

Excellent series, kept us engaged. I have read the books, Alex hasn't

Alan Ritchson played Reacher really close to what I envisioned him. The physical strength, the brawling, etc were spot on.

Much better than the Tom Cruise Reacher.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I binged the first season this past weekend. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I also liked the movie version but the tv version is definitely a better fit actor wise.
This was me last week. Perfect binge IMO.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I recently binged season 1 and am caught up on season 2 now. Not sure how I missed this before. I love the books. Alan plays this role so much better than Tom Cruise IMO. He plays Reacher's persona perfectly IMO. I'm really enjoying it.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I’m a bit underwhelmed by season two thus far.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson