Is 8-8 some sort of success?(Looking at all aspects)

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Ok, its August 2007. The NFL season is a month away. Your an Arizona Cardinals fan. Your team posted a 5-11 record last season. Your saying, "Maybe this is the year we will make it back to the playoffs." You even hope for a .500 record at least.

Fast forward to December 2007. Arizona has just beaten the Rams and has finished off their 2007 season with a bang. They end their season with a 2 game winning streak, and get a .500 record. They also finish second in a dissapointing NFC West division. They didn't make the playoffs, but they played much better than in previous seasons.

Now its January 2008. Your getting ready for the beginning of the NFL playoffs. Certain things make you happy about this year for the Cardinals. They played a lot of the season without Leinart, and faced injuries with Boldin and Warner. They had to use a 3 string quarterback at one point.

This team could have and should have made the playoffs. Week 1's loss to San Fran, a very winnable game, will haunt us. So will the second matchup with the 49ers. If those two were wins, this team would have been 10-6, and maybe in the playoffs.

Considering all this, was this season some sort of success for the Cardinals, or does it have no significance?

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
When your the Arizona Cardinals success can be marked in baby steps. 8-8 given this franchise's history is progress. The bar has now been raised. 8-8 next year would be disappointing..next year this team needs to get over the .500 mark (9-7 or better) for it to be considered successful.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. How can it not be?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
We cannot look at it in terms of just the Cards view, that bar is way to low, we have to look at it in terms of NFL view, so... Progress, yes. Success, nope.

There is not a player or coach that would say other wise.

OP
OP
scXfreakX

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
I know its not success, but given the history of this franchise, its much better than in previous years. We didn't have a tough schedule, but we did have some bad injuries. All teams, do. We're lucky we had an experienced QB like Warner, or else Leinart's injury would have seemed much much worse. Hopefully, Leinart doesn't become prone to injury.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We cannot look at it in terms of just the Cards view, that bar is way to low, we have to look at it in terms of NFL view, so... Progress, yes. Success, nope.

:yeahthat:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The last time this team finish without a losing record was a decade ago.

For me it is a success.

The fact all the games were watchable and entertaining was the best thing about last year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is not a player or coach that would say other wise.

I disagree. You need to look internally to fix the problems that you have, to be successful. We have made tremendous strides in a lot of areas.

One example, we have just about gone from one of the worst red zone offenses, to the best in one year's time. There was a reason that Rackers broke the record for the most FG's, we couldn't punch the ball in the end zone. (I know he didn't break the record last year)

We still have lots of things to clean up, (mostly penalties) but this season should be considered a success. It is ok to look back and think that we could have done better. Just because we could have done better, doesn't mean that we did not succeed.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I disagree. You need to look internally to fix the problems that you have, to be successful. We have made tremendous strides in a lot of areas.

One example, we have just about gone from one of the worst red zone offenses, to the best in one year's time. There was a reason that Rackers broke the record for the most FG's, we couldn't punch the ball in the end zone. (I know he didn't break the record last year)

We still have lots of things to clean up, (mostly penalties) but this season should be considered a success. It is ok to look back and think that we could have done better. Just because we could have done better, doesn't mean that we did not succeed.

DCR, if any of the things we did this year in the way of "improvement" don't lead to the playoffs next season, what good is it? 8 & 8 in NFL terms is NOT a success... in fact, .500 in any sport would not be a success. Only would a team like the Cards bring about this sort of "success" talk...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DCR, if any of the things we did this year in the way of "improvement" don't lead to the playoffs next season, what good is it? 8 & 8 in NFL terms is NOT a success... in fact, .500 in any sport would not be a success. Only would a team like the Cards bring about this sort of "success" talk...

Because success, IMO is not gauged only by the W-L record.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Because success, IMO is not gauged only by the W-L record.

Well, in the league where they Play for Pay, you best believe success is ONLY about the W's...
8 W's is not a success... For the Cards, it happens to be the most W's they've rung up in a very long time, however, the Cards aren't playing against themselves!
Next season if they fail to make the playoffs, we can go back and say that this past season was yet another in a very long line of failures...
Right now, at best this season can be viewed as a potential step in the right direction. But it's really all about next season... Playoffs or bust...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad we won 8 but considering how weak the schedule was I'm highly disappointed we weren't able to win 10 by sweeping the 49ers.

We might be a much improved team next year and not win more games if the schedule predictably is tougher.

I do think Whiz did a very solid job as a rookie coach.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'm glad we won 8 but considering how weak the schedule was I'm highly disappointed we weren't able to win 10 by sweeping the 49ers.

We might be a much improved team next year and not win more games if the schedule predictably is tougher.

I do think Whiz did a very solid job as a rookie coach.

I also think that for a first-year coach, Whiz did a fine job... However, we are not grading the coach here...
As a team, is 8 wins a success? I say no...

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
A step in the right direction...

The first positive step in nearly a decade...

Was it an overwhelming success? No. But it was a success in that this season elevated the Cardinals out of the cellar. Now Whis has had time to evaluate the talent he inherited. Cuts will be made. We will hopefully cut the dead weight and replace it with contributors.

If we build on this season, then it was a success. If we regress in 08, it won't be remembered as a success. Simple.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, in the league where they Play for Pay, you best believe success is ONLY about the W's...
8 W's is not a success... For the Cards, it happens to be the most W's they've rung up in a very long time, however, the Cards aren't playing against themselves!
Next season if they fail to make the playoffs, we can go back and say that this past season was yet another in a very long line of failures...
Right now, at best this season can be viewed as a potential step in the right direction. But it's really all about next season... Playoffs or bust...

Fair enough. We just see things differently. I don't believe success is as black and white as you do. I see the shades of grey.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Couldnt agree more, 82.

I've had a change in perspective this season; it's all about the W. Moral victories are for losers.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldnt agree more, 82.

I've had a change in perspective this season; it's all about the W. Moral victories are for losers.

You look at 8-8 this year, and only see moral victories?

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You look at 8-8 this year, and only see moral victories?

I look at 8-8 and see nothing to be excited about. Crappy play by the Cardinals cheated us out of the playoffs.

Tampa Bay is in the freaking playoffs. Anything less than the playoffs (for me) is a big disappointment.

To quote from the cinematic triumph "The Rock".

John Mason: Are you sure you're ready for this?
Stanley Goodspeed: I'll do my best.
John Mason: Your "best"! Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and eff the prom queen.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I look at 8-8 and see nothing to be excited about. Crappy play by the Cardinals cheated us out of the playoffs.

Tampa Bay is in the freaking playoffs. Anything less than the playoffs (for me) is a big disappointment.

To quote from the cinematic triumph "The Rock".

John Mason: Are you sure you're ready for this?
Stanley Goodspeed: I'll do my best.
John Mason: Your "best"! Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and eff the prom queen.

Wow, I thought the feeling after the SF loss was temporary. I never knew it cut that deep.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
8-8 isnt success, but it is acceptable progress.

I also rue the two SF games lost by the slimmest of margins, but at the same time, recognize that the Seattle and Cleveland games were both won by the slimmest of margins. I dont know if they cancel out, but 8-8 is pretty representative of where the team is at currently.

What 8-8 gives fans is a realistic basis (barring a disastrous offseason) of going into the 2008 season and expecting 10 wins and a playoff berth. While there have been examples of going from 5-11 to 10-6, they are the exception rather than the rule.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wasn't emabrassed being a Cardinal fan.

I am convinced the Cards are better than any high school program in the country. I haven't said that out loud for serveral years.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Success breed expectations.

At the beggining of the season, most of us would have accepted 8-8 and been happy with it. However, we eeked out a few wins that put us in the thick of things which brought our hopes up for more.
Everybody keeps saying , "How could we lose twice to the 49er's?" Had we beat the Redskins with the long FG, we'd be in the playoffs and wouldn't think twice about the 49er's games.
Just like the Packers aren't thinking about the 2 losses to the Bears.

It's normal Cardinal fan thought process to think this year will mean nothing as we head into next year. That any success or progress made this year could and has in the past gone right down the drain.

I see the progress made. Our success next year will hinge on what we do between now and the draft. If we do nothing in free agency except sign Dansby, Pace and Fitz thinking the draft will plug all our holes we will fail miserably next season.

The ball is in Rod Graves hands. He needs to hedge our bet a bit with the thought that we WILL be successful next season. He needs to fill the few holes with free agents, not with the cream of the crop mind you, but with solid players.They are out there. He needs to go out and get them because this is a make or break off season. Thats how progress can be turned into success.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It's normal Cardinal fan thought process to think this year will mean nothing as we head into next year. That any success or progress made this year could and has in the past gone right down the drain.

There's the rub as they like to say. Ryan was 8-8 his first year, 4-12 the next.
Tobin was 7-9 his first year and 4-12 the next year. McGinnis was 7-9 his first year and horrible the next two. Green was 6-10 and the defense had the kool aid gang going bonkers and of course Green was 5-11 the next two years.

There's a lot of things up in the air right now that will have to settle by April. Then Whis and co. will have to prove it on the field. But I sure hope we follow what Green Bay did with their climb from 6-10 to 8-8 to 13-3.