If You Want KK Gone, Who Do You Want Hired?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd hire Robert Saleh from the 49er's or Brandon Staley from the Rams. I know that Staley is young and has only been a D-coordinator for one year, but damn the Rams defense is good. Both of these coaches know the NFC West and have been inspirational defensive coaches. Of course either hire would make the offensive coordinator hire a critical step in the development of K1.

Saleh is really good people say well they picked high for several years but even when they had that defense decimated, they were still for the most part solid. They had a couple of games they got boatraced but the bad offense played a part in that. Another reason to hire him is to weaken the 49ers. But yes, you then need a good OC because Saleh is strictly defense.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biggest problem with Kliff is that he's not learning.

He has some massive issues right now, and they are the same issues he's always had. If I could see some progress I'd be less concerned but I don't.

He learned last year started playing less 4 and 5 Wr and more multiple TE's. I think that's one thing people HAVE definitely sniffed out, we were really better running and passing last year in that formation than we are this year. Some is injury but I think NFL teams figured out some of the things Kliff was doing with the 2 and 3 TE sets and he has to adjust again.

That was one thing I really liked with Kliff last year how he adjusted, he's not doing it as much this year.

I didn't expect the playoffs this year in the first place, I didn't even think we'd finish the season, but at this point it would really suck to blow a chance to make the playoffs.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My biggest problem with Kliff is that he's not learning.

He has some massive issues right now, and they are the same issues he's always had. If I could see some progress I'd be less concerned but I don't.

I dont see him making it work right now. If I was placing a bet, it would be that we will see the same problems next year and Kliff will be let go. He will go on to become a really successful OC in the NFL...and may get another shot as a HC somewhere else down the line. His offenses will always be able to put up stats, so it will keep him employed, but I'm not sure if he will ever live up to the "revolutionary" hype.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Saleh is really good people say well they picked high for several years but even when they had that defense decimated, they were still for the most part solid. They had a couple of games they got boatraced but the bad offense played a part in that. Another reason to hire him is to weaken the 49ers. But yes, you then need a good OC because Saleh is strictly defense.

Honestly in an ideal world, we could demote KK to be the OC with a HC like Saleh. He seems to be much better suited to be the leader of the entire team.

I know that can't happen though, KK would never be a HC again if he allowed that.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This thread is exactly why this board has no business wanting KK to get fired. Most of the names on here are trash/unproven.

People on here wanted Bettcher and Shurmur to go along with Gase, Caldwell, Campbell, DeFilipo, etc.

Greg Roman...how is that going this year? Lamar Jackson has regressed.

Let's focus on how to improve this team...not blow it up.

I will start - think about where we would be right now with a decent defense and a kicker that is more accurate?

Greg Roman actually has an NFL pedigree unlike our college coach. They’ve lost their all-decade left guard to retirement, their all-pro LT to an injury and are trotting out Dez Bryant at WR every week. Doesn’t replace the fact that he designed an offense to allow their young QB to win the MVP.

Our coach with a losing record in the NFL and college is nothing more than an offensive coordinator and his offense has been figured out. Chip Kelly vibes because he flamed out of the NFL the same way KK is about it. At least Kelly had a winning record in college.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It has to start with the front office IMO. MB needs to clean house and bring in a GM with a reputation for drafting and let him bring his own scouting team and coaching staff. Ed Dodds and Lake Dawson may be good candidates that have offensive coordinators they can bring with them.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do we actually know who picked the 3 Wr's in last years draft? It would be good to know how much say Kliff had in those picks because honestly that is a huge part of where we are on offense. 29 catches less than 300 yards 2 TD's from Andy and Johnson combined, Butler of course gone never played a game.

WR isn't easy last year McLaurin was probably the best one and lots missed on him twice, this year Jefferson so far appears to be the best WR.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Do we actually know who picked the 3 Wr's in last years draft? It would be good to know how much say Kliff had in those picks because honestly that is a huge part of where we are on offense. 29 catches less than 300 yards 2 TD's from Andy and Johnson combined, Butler of course gone never played a game.

WR isn't easy last year McLaurin was probably the best one and lots missed on him twice, this year Jefferson so far appears to be the best WR.
I think Kliff had a lot to do with the selections. I am referring to his reaction in the war room when we selected Isabella. He did fist pump (similar to Curt Gibson's in 88). He was stoked.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He learned last year started playing less 4 and 5 Wr and more multiple TE's. I think that's one thing people HAVE definitely sniffed out, we were really better running and passing last year in that formation than we are this year. Some is injury but I think NFL teams figured out some of the things Kliff was doing with the 2 and 3 TE sets and he has to adjust again.

That was one thing I really liked with Kliff last year how he adjusted, he's not doing it as much this year.

I didn't expect the playoffs this year in the first place, I didn't even think we'd finish the season, but at this point it would really suck to blow a chance to make the playoffs.

He figured that out by game 3 last year. It didn't take a genius to see 10 personnel wasn't working.

That's basic stuff any fan could figure out. Otherwise he's not changed a bit.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Isabella was defo Kliff. The others I just think were the board, but with an obvious overall target from Kliff to have more WRs.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I can’t believe they could get Bienemy. I’d bring Mike Kafka in for an interview. He’s a bit of a long shot but it could produce a huge step forward for Murray. Not many guys have succeeded making that jump, but I heard his interview last year was very impressive. Mahomes raves about him.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This thread is exactly why this board has no business wanting KK to get fired. Most of the names on here are trash/unproven.

People on here wanted Bettcher and Shurmur to go along with Gase, Caldwell, Campbell, DeFilipo, etc.

Greg Roman...how is that going this year? Lamar Jackson has regressed.

Let's focus on how to improve this team...not blow it up.

I will start - think about where we would be right now with a decent defense and a kicker that is more accurate?

oh how quickly people forget

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't want Kliff to get fired. I want him to grow some balls.

This 21st century metro sexual, chilled, robotic laid back man bro act is getting old. I want to see him chew someones ass for screwing up. I want to see him wrangling the offense or defense when off the field and trying to gee them up. I want to see him shout at Vance when they give up a 3rd and 15. I want to see him grab and vets face mask and tell him to wake the f up and make some plays.

Remember when he was pissed about his Madden character looking like something from the Walking Dead? Well his Madden character has more life than the real Kliff and that filters down.

The HC has no fire, the players have no fire. The dudes a robot with a Texas twang.

He's not a college coach anymore dealing with kids. He needs to grow up.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Ryan Day but there's about .01% chance he'd leave OSU. Unlike Riley and KK, he's actually coached in the NFL and is highly regarded.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't want Kliff to get fired. I want him to grow some balls.

This 21st century metro sexual, chilled, robotic laid back man bro act is getting old. I want to see him chew someones ass for screwing up. I want to see him wrangling the offense or defense when off the field and trying to gee them up. I want to see him shout at Vance when they give up a 3rd and 15. I want to see him grab and vets face mask and tell him to wake the f up and make some plays.

Remember when he was pissed about his Madden character looking like something from the Walking Dead? Well his Madden character has more life than the real Kliff and that filters down.

The HC has no fire, the players have no fire. The dudes a robot with a Texas twang.

He's not a college coach anymore dealing with kids. He needs to grow up.

You want him to be someone he is not, and never will be.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You want him to be someone he is not, and never will be.

Then he shouldn't be a HC.

Name me one head coach that's ever succeeded with Kliff's character? I can't think of a single successful HC who's a chilled, laid back, were all buddies type guy. If that's who he want's to be he's in the wrong career.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will start...Tony Dungy.

Hmm. He wasn't a shouty guy but he had personality and he was strict. He had no problem chewing out players. Plus he'd been round the NFL years. He had a reputation and respect.

I agree though that on the Belichick scale where Bill is a 10 and Kliff is a 1 that Dungy is a 4 tops.

Just to be clear. I don't expect him to do all those things. Anything would suffice. He's so dull. You can't just stand there like a robot. The HC sets the blueprint of the team. Creates the identity. And you can see it in the penalties. The lack of fire. The defeatist body language and sideline sulking.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Just to be clear. I don't expect him to do all those things. Anything would suffice. He's so dull. You can't just stand there like a robot. The HC sets the blueprint of the team. Creates the identity. And you can see it in the penalties. The lack of fire. The defeatist body language and sideline sulking.

We don't know how KK is behind the scenes and I don't remember reading/hearing about any players who have criticized him/his style.

TBF - there were a lot of people on this board who though Tomlin was weak and a bad coach. That has been proven not to be true.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We don't know how KK is behind the scenes and I don't remember reading/hearing about any players who have criticized him/his style.

TBF - there were a lot of people on this board who though Tomlin was weak and a bad coach. That has been proven not to be true.

People thought Tomlin is weak? Nuts.

Well, what I have heard from players are things like "He respects the players". "He treats us like grown ups".

Those sound like player speak for "He's easy going and lets us do what we want".

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Well, what I have heard from players are things like "He respects the players". "He treats us like grown ups". Those sound like player speak for "He's easy going and lets us do what we want".

Those sound like good things to me. Coaching and leadership have changed significantly (in sports and in life).

What hasn't changed is accountability and execution.