How do you rate the PA period at this point.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Pros are:

The horrible depth on this team has been addressed almost completely. Note I stated DEPTH.

The QB position has been upgraded and now McCown and Parsons (+ possible draftee) have time to develop properly without being thrown to the wolves.

The O-line is incredibly solid and the only real area that could / should be addressed is at Center. But at least we have more than Starkey and a 2nd year player in place.

The WR's are set at the #2 through # 7 slots, the Cards just need a #1 option. I still contend that McCaddely could be that guy, but at least we are still fine depth wise

The TE's are set, doesn't mean we don't draft one as the BPA in rds 3 on though.

The RB's are okay. If TJ comes out of his funk or Scoobey or Anderson step up we should be fine. The addition of Emmitt cements this position as solid to very strong.

The FB's are also okay. Hodgins was a fantastic acquisition but McKinnely's only positive is specail teams. At least we have Bush as the H-back option. I would like the Cards to sign Makovicka as the back up since he does have some abilities with the ball and has developed as a blocker. He is far better than McKinnley.

The Safety position is set. Jackson and Wilson should be a good to great tandem and Lucas provides very good depth. Harris or Stone ( cough cough) may be okay as further depth.

The CB's are an area of need. Barrett has shown some abilities and has made some good to great plays. He still gives to much cushion and is very inconsitent in his tackling. Starks is still a huge ? mark. Hill and Rhinehart just aren't options as a #3 CB.

The LB's should be okay. Thompson and Mckinnon have proven to be decent to good starters. Fisher may be able to contribute as the SLB and now Darling is in the mix as well. We also have more options in Woods and Jones and Faulk. This position could still be addressed in regards to a starter though.

The DT's are set for depth. Obvouisly a quality starter would be welcomed.

The DE's are in the same category as the DT's. Depth and potential are there but a true starter is needed at RDE.

So through FA and the draft the Cards need / want a starter at the following positions.

RDE, DT, CB, C and WR. This is still a fairly large wish list but it has become manageable for the first time in a long time.

So my grade is a B+ so far for this offseason, if the Cards do nothing else the the grade falls to a B-.

Another point I'd like to make is that the team has also addressed the leadership and winning attitude needs of this team.

Jackson and Hodgins both have Super Bowl experience. Darling and Blake have playoff experience. If we acquire Emmitt we will have Leadership and even more SB experience on the team. These are huge positives.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I can't give them anything over an average mark in an offseason where we let Boston walk for nothing. I would have agreed with you but have to drop us to a C to a C+.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Concur

Originally posted by Stout
I can't give them anything over an average mark in an offseason where we let Boston walk for nothing. I would have agreed with you but have to drop us to a C to a C+.

The Boston thing really sucks.

The Red Wednesday signings help put us back on some kind of level playing field....but can you imagine Blake and Boston....wow....that would have been something!!!

I'm off to drink some of that black liquid to the left of this message!!!

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

Boston`s gone.Deal with it.Graves took a chance and it didn`t work out.We can`t change it.As for Graves performance i would give him a B- or C+.How many other years have the Cards been as active AND UPGRADED several positions as quickly? Afew spots need some work still but i am liking most of what has been done SO FAR.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I give them a D, they let boston walk, no D-Line. They only reason they dont get a F is bc they signed blake. What needs have they addressed, besides the QB? Our main need defense has been looked over. We also need a WR and they have not even brought one in. I perosnally do not like this offseason so far.

Stout

Reaction score
Originally posted by BW52
Boston`s gone.Deal with it.Graves took a chance and it didn`t work out.We can`t change it.As for Graves performance i would give him a B- or C+.How many other years have the Cards been as active AND UPGRADED several positions as quickly? Afew spots need some work still but i am liking most of what has been done SO FAR.

Hey, he is gone. I've dealt with it. Don't try to knock me for answering the question-how would I grade the offseason. Well, gee, duh, he made a mistake and, since I would not just grade and not say why, I gave them the grade and I've said why. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse but follow the line of the post. How about not trying any underhanded attempts at silencing me, eh? :-?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
You don`t think any of these players are upgrades?
Hodgins-Makovicka
Jackson-Lassiter (Jackson is 6 or 7 years younger and has a upside,Lassiter was a fine player but was aging and declining)

Garcia-Starkey over Gruttadauria (injuries ruined him)
Darling,Greg Jones-solid veteran players who have starting experience.

Blake-Plummer (Blake is supposed to be reliable and less prone to turnover than Jake Plummer,we will see)

So far it has been a productive off season in spite of the loss of the party boy.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, he is gone. I've dealt with it. Don't try to knock me for answering the question-how would I grade the offseason. Well, gee, duh, he made a mistake and, since I would not just grade and not say why, I gave them the grade and I've said why. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse but follow the line of the post. How about not trying any underhanded attempts at silencing me, eh? :-?

You are entitled to your opinion.I have my opinion also.I guess we will agree to disagree.No hard feeling intended.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

Underhanded attempts at silencing you? I don`t agree with your opinions all the time and we obviously look at things differently.I still say no hard feeling are intended or meant.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
How about not trying any underhanded attempts at silencing me, eh?

Stout, sound like there is a little Canadian blood in the ancestry, eh? :wave:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have to say C+ after the signings yesterday. I won't give an "A" because we weren't able to get Colvin, the guy we needed the most. They can move up to the B range if they get DL help and sign, or resign, at least 2 WRs.

Second Deck

Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe the Chargers are letting Seau walk. That is very close to us letting Boston walk. Seau was the Chargers.

seesred

Reaction score
I grade us a B and if we sign Holiday I will move that up to a b+ simply becuase of so many positions have been upgraded. Yes we lost Boston and maybe if we knew more we will see why. But the Boston thing is the only negative of a so far positive off season.

GBR

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I for Incomplete. It is an absolute MUST for us to resign Wrs Martay Jenkins and Frank Sanders.

With a healthy Bryan Gilmore (big if), Jason McAddley, Martay Jenkins, and Frank Sanders, we have the makings of an adequate WR corps. Lose any of those guys, and we will be forced to address the WRs in round 2 or 3.

On radio the other morning, Jerry Sullivan made it very clear he expects all those guys back and expects big things from Bryan Gilmore. Jerry also didn't like any of the second tier WR free agent options out there over our own guys.

So, assuming we lose Vonnie Holliday, and keep Sanders and Jenkins, and don't sign any other free agents of note, I'd give us a C+. Certainly much better than most years.

If we get Holliday as well, we rate a B-.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I agree with most of your points, but I dont think there is a problem with Barretts tackling. He is a very strong tackler IMO.

Any concerns in the secondary will be gone once we get a pass rush. Note: I said pash RUSH, sacks are great but a RUSH is also very effective...

And finally, I believe we have 2 very solid and up and comming outside LB's in Fisher and Thompson, I think it is a MUST that we do what it takes to get JR SEAU in here! He is a HUGE step up and will show this team what it takes to suceed in the NFL...

This team needs a DE(Holliday) a #1WR and JR SEAU, along with a strong draft. If all of this comes together we as Cardinal fans better brace ourselfs for a good season!

Cuz as much heart problems as they have given us in the past, WINNING might be even harder on us!

GO CARDS!

Stout

Reaction score
BW, of course I think those players are upgrades. We still need to fill other holes, via draft or further FA. I would have rated this offseason thus far a solid B+ to A, or an I for incomplete, but you can't ignore what has happened with Boston. It did happen. When you lose one of the top WR in the league, you're offseason grade should drop regardless of other doings. That is, of course, unless we had replaced him with a top WR, which we cannot do (a draft pick, no matter how high, won't get it done this year).

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
With the signings so far I give us a C+. If we sign Holliday it becomes a B+. I am not taking into account Boston is gone with this grade. I am still scratching my head on that one and everytime I think of it I can't complete a sentence, I just start with ( what the- How in the- that stupid- I can't believe#@$%!@#$ ).

Big Bird

Reaction score
I would say D+ until we start addressing our main needs which is Def Line and WR then we have a lot of issues still.

Bobcat

Reaction score
Cardiac
I prefer Parsons over McCown. He look alot better in the preseason. and McCown look like hell during the season. Mac my be hitching his wagon to the wrong rookie of last season.

Allan

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

What ever we grade out today we are one hell of a lot better off than one week ago and better off than we were at the end of last year. A couple of more decent signings and a good draft and I will say we are much improved. This does not put us in the playoffs but we will not be embarrased I do not think.

Big Bird

Reaction score
John,

I agree that if we sign some more free agents and have a good draft it will help. But unless we sign some receivers or def lineman we are really going to be hurting. You don't just give up a top guy like D-Bo and expect to compete without bringing anybody in. Not getting Colvin was a huge blow also.

football24/7

Registered
Reaction score
Yes Boston is gone but it still does not excuse Graves for getting zero compensation for him. Say we get another #1 pick, we then could package them together to move up for Suggs. Any form of compensation would only be a positive thing. and if Boston gets his panties in a wad about being tagged, then he should do some soul searching and look in the mirror about his play and behavior last season, because last year he was the most overpaid, under performing WR in the NFL in my opinion.

OP
OP
Cardiac

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bobcat
Cardiac
I prefer Parsons over McCown. He look alot better in the preseason. and McCown look like hell during the season. Mac my be hitching his wagon to the wrong rookie of last season.

Allan

You may be right about Parsons over McCown but from an athletic stand point McCown has more up side. I think this preseason will be a better test of who is going to have a brighter future.

OP
OP
Cardiac

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Boston issue

To all of you who are incredibly upset about how the entire Boston situation was handled I will say that sometimes **** happens. On the surface it seems obvious that Boston should have been resigned or at least tagged. From a fans stand point this is an easy conclusion to make.

The reason I'm not nearly as upset about how things turned out as most fans are is I had huge concerns about DB before the FA period began. Once DB was arrested last year and he came off as not very sincere (JMHO) with his apology I had doubts. Then he has the nagging injury issue which I feel will only get worse because of his headstrong belief that he can play 20 to 30 lbs heavier then any other WR in the league. His attitude during the season was questionable and even though he has showed signs of maturing he hasn't grown up enough.

Often decisions are made for a plethora of reasons, many that the fans don't have inside information available to them. I was also concerned and confused as to why the Cards didn't tag DB, but I've decided that the Cards had their reasons and can't share them all with us. Sometimes a player needs new surroundings to get their heads on straight, Chris Carter is a prime example.

Does anyone think that if Rice had been tagged and forced to stay with the Cards that he would be playing at his current level. Some of the blame does belong to the Cards and how they conducted business during this time period, recently however RG has brought a better direction to the team. If the Cards had tagged DB and we had only been able to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick as compensation (as some posters have suggested) I doubt many would have been happy about this. Sure in hindsight knowing we got nothing they would, but without this knowledge most would be up in arms anyway.

I didn't want to ramble on about DB but it seems that many fans are still upset about what happened and will need more time, if ever, to make peace with this.

The constant loss of quality talent has been an ongoing issue with the Cards since FA started. Hopefully DB will be the last casualty along this front, RG has truly started to fix this problem.

One last question, are the Eagles idiots for letting Douglass go without compensation? His only downside was age and I bet he is in the NFL longer than DB.

Big Bird

Reaction score
Cardiac,

You are right in saying we might not know the entire story behind the scenes. But in no way should we have let a top 5 WR talent like D-bo got without receiving compensation especially when we are in dire need of talent to begin with. If the Cards had deep talent on offense then maybe a move like that would have been OK. Our team is nowhere close to where Philly stands so for them to make that move w/Douglas it will be OK. It's just like the move they made last year with letting Trotter go. They have the talent depth to make moves like that to ensure they have the cap space to make other moves. But for a team like our Cards we do not in any way have the talent to let a guy that led the league in yards just 2 year ago leave without receiving anything for compensation even if that would have been a 1st - 3rd round compensation. Even if you look at the other side and we got stuck keeping him assuming no teams would trade for him. I believe that he is still worth a top 5 WR salary to keep him on the team. Now we are stuck with our WR and def line needing much help. I still believe there is no way we should not have tagged Boston at all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard