Green believed in McCown, or so he said

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Assface said:
I certainly don't think any of those guys are saviors. Like I said, of all of them I think the most likely is Bennet and with all of his injuries it's hard to call him more than a mid level signing. I think the main reason we'll go after a free agent RB is so that we can use our #1 pick on either a top QB if King doesn't step it up and McCown doesn't win his job back (I'm not counting on either right now) or we'll draft a shut down CB which is hard to come by in free agency too.

Really? You don't think that Shaun Alexander (a Pro Bowler), Edge James (An All-Pro), Michael Bennett (a Pro Bolwer), or Travis Henry (an 1800 yard rusher) are anything more than "mid-level" signings?

Christ. I'd like to live in whatever world you live in.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
For a later round guy, 3-5, I really like JJ Arrington of Cal. he benefits from defenses so afraid of Aaron Rodgers they give up the run, but he's similar in size to Williams, a bit taller, similar speed not quite as "sudden". Runs hard. The knock on him is he's never been a workhorse but to me that means not beaten up either (see Benson, Cedric).

NFL draftblitz has him in the 3rd round right now. Maybe just being a homer but for a guy out of the top 2 rounds he's a RB I'd really like.

They have him slipping down that far? Wow

If he's available in Rd 3 hell yeah pick him

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I really haven't seen Arrington play but i know he's pretty productive.I will watch in the Rose Bowl though.Also,i think if Rodgers has a big Rose Bowl that he will come out.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Really? You don't think that Shaun Alexander (a Pro Bowler), Edge James (An All-Pro), Michael Bennett (a Pro Bolwer), or Travis Henry (an 1800 yard rusher) are anything more than "mid-level" signings?

Christ. I'd like to live in whatever world you live in.

:rolleyes:

I only said Bennett is mid level and that's because of his injury history. He's only played 1 full year and isn't getting the majority of the playing time this year.

Here's his games played, started and rushing yards.

2001 Minnesota Vikings 13 13 682
2002 Minnesota Vikings 16 16 1296
2003 Minnesota Vikings 8 7 447
2004 Minnesota Vikings 5 4 89

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Berry and Macklin weren't high-profile guys in FA last year,
Berry was almost universally considered to be one of the top FA DE last year, behind Kearse and right there with Winstrom.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
I really haven't seen Arrington play but i know he's pretty productive.I will watch in the Rose Bowl though.Also,i think if Rodgers has a big Rose Bowl that he will come out.

I think Rodgers is basically in the same situation as Alex Smith from Utah ... they're both having good years and both of their head coaches are expected to go elsewhere.

Utah's HC going to Florida and Cal's HC going to the pros (maybe Miami)

If those things happen I expect them both to come out and help this QB class in the draft immensely

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
after thinking about this QB thing the last few days... I am really starting to think that there is no way DG drafts a QB in the first 3 rounds. I dont think that is in his nature. He does not appear to have the patience to wait around on a QB to develop.. hence the quick hook on Josh and the 7 different QB's thing.

nothing groundbreaking here, but I feel very confident that he will not take one no matter who is there.

I know he drafted Daunte, but just doesn't seem like he wants to be the guy to bring them along.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
I think Rodgers is basically in the same situation as Alex Smith from Utah ... they're both having good years and both of their head coaches are expected to go elsewhere.

If those things happen I expect them both to come out and help this QB class in the draft immensely

I haven't had a chance to see Alex Smith play yet. Does he look like he can be a good pro or is he strictly a college QB? Who does he best compare to?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Berry was almost universally considered to be one of the top FA DE last year, behind Kearse and right there with Winstrom.

Who else was pursuing him, then? Why didn't he get a deal similar to what Winstrom got? Are you insane? He was perceived as being a great value signing, and it's hard to disagree, but he wasn't a "name" player, like Kearse or Winstrom, and I remember a lot of skepticism on this board about him when he was signed, and much gnashing of teeth when we "let" Winstrom and Keare "get away."

I like Berry, and think he's doing great here, but you're stoned if you think that was was regarded on the same caliber with Winstrom and Kearse.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Who else was pursuing him, then? Why didn't he get a deal similar to what Winstrom got? Are you insane? He was perceived as being a great value signing, and it's hard to disagree, but he wasn't a "name" player, like Kearse or Winstrom, and I remember a lot of skepticism on this board about him when he was signed, and much gnashing of teeth when we "let" Winstrom and Keare "get away."

I like Berry, and think he's doing great here, but you're stoned if you think that was was regarded on the same caliber with Winstrom and Kearse.
Not the same calibre as Kearse--not even close (that's why I said "after Kearse"). But he was considered the same calibre as Wistrom.

As for teams that were trying to sign him, I know he was almost signed by Dallas. As for the others, I don't know.

Look, I'm not trying to refute your theory, just pointing out that Berry was a sought-after FA last year. It was a coup that we signed him. That's all.

This_Guy

Veteran
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I don't know about the top, but he was right below Wistrom and Kearse.

Same thing with Macklin, Ayanbadejo and King. These guys were not the marquee/name free agents, but they were the guys DG wanted and went after.

The big mistake here is thinking that DG agrees with the public consensus on talent evaluation. Considering everyone keeps going on about how much King "sucks" and everyone here keeps checking polls to see whether the Cards will go after Brees or Bledsoe, Mortensen of ESPN reported again that DG "loves" King and the job is his for the taking.

Same thing with other positions, Green will take who he thinks is good, not who the consensus thinks is good.

The "consensus" spent months trying to figure out whether to draft Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf. The consensus also had Tim Couch and Akili Smith ranked ahead of Donovan McNabb and Culpepper. DG thinks for himself, and it's more than likely that the guy he's targeting is someone who is sitting on someone's bench waiting for a chance or someone who isn't being utilized to maximize his potential.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
after thinking about this QB thing the last few days... I am really starting to think that there is no way DG drafts a QB in the first 3 rounds. I dont think that is in his nature. He does not appear to have the patience to wait around on a QB to develop.. hence the quick hook on Josh and the 7 different QB's thing.

nothing groundbreaking here, but I feel very confident that he will not take one no matter who is there.

I know he drafted Daunte, but just doesn't seem like he wants to be the guy to bring them along.

Another way to look at it though is that he never had a chance to draft a QB like Dante. His teams rarely had a pick high enough to draft a top QB. Dante was what, the 6th QB taken in that draft. I doubt he cycled through quarterbacks every year because he wanted to. He has his recievers so now I think he takes a top passer if one is available. Ben is winning in his first year. Plenty of quarterbacks have had success in their second years. That puts us on pace for a run during the 2006 season which is what everyone has been predicting for the last year or two.

This_Guy

Veteran
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:

In the end, Berry was a better choice than Wistrom, but at the time, Wistrom's value was higher.

That being said, almost everyone agreed that the Seahawks overpaid for GW.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:

Can we dispense with the unnecessary please?
There's nothing about Bert Berry discussion that needs "insane" or "stoned".

You must be registered for see images

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:

That's the caveat with Rodgers, everytime he is asked he says he's coming back, but he says i really like coach Tedford and I like Cal. The implication, if Tedford is gone, so am I. I'd like to see Tedford stick around but realistically he's gone in the next couple of years.

Think he'd be a terrific OC, but if someone makes him a head coach I don't think he'll succeed right away, totally different in the NFL.

This_Guy

Veteran
Reaction score
Assface said:
Another way to look at it though is that he never had a chance to draft a QB like Dante. His teams rarely had a pick high enough to draft a top QB. Dante was what, the 6th QB taken in that draft. I doubt he cycled through quarterbacks every year because he wanted to. He has his recievers so now I think he takes a top passer if one is available. Ben is winning in his first year. Plenty of quarterbacks have had success in their second years. That puts us on pace for a run during the 2006 season which is what everyone has been predicting for the last year or two.
Culpepper was the fifth and King was the sixth.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This_Guy said:
Culpepper was the fifth and King was the sixth.
culpepper was 4th

Couch - miss
Mcnabb- hit
Akili Smith - miss
Culpepper - hit
King - miss

:D

jk. who knows what king will do

This_Guy

Veteran
Reaction score
clif said:
culpepper was 4th

Couch - miss
Mcnabb- hit
Akili Smith - miss
Culpepper - hit
King - miss

Nope. Cade McNown was 4th.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
culpepper was 4th

Couch - miss
Mcnabb- hit
Akili Smith - miss
Culpepper - hit
King - miss

You forgot Cade "don't call me Josh" McNown.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
culpepper was 4th

Couch - miss
Mcnabb- hit
Akili Smith - miss
Culpepper - hit
King - miss

Don't forget Cade McNown!! Wasn't he in there?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
Don't forget Cade McNown!! Wasn't he in there?

I think the only reason most of us know his name is people kept calling Josh McNown instead of McCown.

Now if you really want to see me tear apart a QB, Green should sign Cade. I just REALLY dislike that guy as both a player and a person.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I think the only reason most of us know his name is people kept calling Josh McNown instead of McCown.

Now if you really want to see me tear apart a QB, Green should sign Cade. I just REALLY dislike that guy as both a player and a person.
I couldn't take it anymore yesterday and had to call Bob Kemp to make a public service announcement...

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Just use the word "hate" Russ. You know you want to. Say it, " I hate McNown as a player and a person."

Who was/is worse, McNown or Mirer or Leaf?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
I couldn't take it anymore yesterday and had to call Bob Kemp to make a public service announcement...
What was the announcement?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort