Gentry now wants to look to future by playing younger players

HooverDam

Reaction score
It won't make any difference. The young players that the Suns have aren't going to get good by seeing the court. Morris has the potential to be a solid role player, but Johnson is a lost cause, and I'm pretty pessimistic about Marshall too (though haven't seen enough of him). You can't "rebuild" around players who aren't able to earn playing time on their own merits.

I agree. But the Suns front office seems to have too low Basketball IQ to know that. So by playing Marshall, Johnson and Beasley, et cetera the Suns front office will see for themselves that these guys aren't pieces you can build around...which is a lesson they need to learn.

Its frustrating it took the Suns F.O. this long to realize this was the right thing to do, but at least theyre doing it.

Now trade Dudley and Gortat already and start stockpiling assests!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's exactly why we haven't done it until now. Gentry needs to coach for a paycheck, but this far into the season, maybe he feels it's a foregone conclusion that he shouldn't try to coach this band of misfits into the playoffs.

I was thinking this would buy Gentry some time. If they go into the tank on purpose, he can't be blamed for it.

I still think Gentry's a good coach in a bad situation.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I was thinking this would buy Gentry some time. If they go into the tank on purpose, he can't be blamed for it.

I still think Gentry's a good coach in a bad situation.
I think he's a good coach when he has good, strong on-court leadership from veterans. He doesn't have that this season and I think this potential move is the first real good decision he's making.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Whether it is best for Alvin Gentry to stay or go, maybe this philosophy will make it clear that he is not the scapegoat and lead to the Suns getting rid of the Front Office culprits who caused it.

I was against tanking the whole season, which quite a few of our posters wanted right from the start. But now that our team's record is so pathetic, it makes sense to play for the future.

I hope that Beasley is not considered part of the future. If he could not contribute night after night (let alone being our go-to guy), even if he stands out among the scrubs, that's all it will prove. That he might stand out among the scrubs. That's not good enough for the future.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard