Gentry now wants to look to future by playing younger players

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems the Suns will change directions and start looking at the younger players for development if Gentry has his way. This is refreshing in my opinion as the Suns can now concentrate on who belongs on the roster next season and give them playing time accordingly. See link to article by Bob Young at azcentral dated 1-15-13.

“You know, somewhere along the line we’re going to have to start looking at some of the young guys, be able to play Wesley Johnson more minutes, and get more minutes for Markieff (Morris) on the foor and obviously get (rookie) Kendall (Marshall) out there.”

“I think you’ve got to do it (by) saying that obviously this season isn’t going the way we anticipated, and now we’re in a situation where we’ve got to start looking to the future,” Gentry said.

“And if we’re looking to the future, we’ve got to play young guys and get them in a situation where we figure out exactly what we have for the future, and see if they can show improvement for the next 30 games or whatever it ends up being that we decide to do this.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...oach-alvin-gentry-ponders-looking-future.html

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good news. Treat it like an extended preseason. Face inevitability and do what will be competitive for the future.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Hell yes. It's about damned time! This franchise has needed this since the end of the Barkley era. Blow it up, rebuild. Finally.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The player I most want to see on the court regularly is Kendall Marshall. It looks like the Suns made a mistake with this draft pick but I'd like to make sure.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The player I most want to see on the court regularly is Kendall Marshall. It looks like the Suns made a mistake with this draft pick but I'd like to make sure.

Agreed. Marshall is the only guy not getting PT that I'd want a closer look at.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It won't make any difference. The young players that the Suns have aren't going to get good by seeing the court. Morris has the potential to be a solid role player, but Johnson is a lost cause, and I'm pretty pessimistic about Marshall too (though haven't seen enough of him). You can't "rebuild" around players who aren't able to earn playing time on their own merits.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If nothing else, maybe the Suns end up with more ping pong balls. Gentry needs to feel free to play the players he wants to see regardless of wins and losses.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Did you miss the team going young then becoming a contender in '00s?

We never went full-bore rebuild. We always had some clingingly mediocre team. This team is the pits, period. Yes, I remember Horry and Cassell, but this is much lower - and much needed.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Note:

We're currently slated for the 5th pick. What about the idea that we can make it up to #3 and draft Noel. Then, if we were to snag LAL's lotto pick, we could draft McAdoo. Next year, with a raw, defensive-minded 4 and a rookie to lead from the 3, we would still draft mid-lotto allowing us to draft a starting 2 (or go FA).

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
It won't make any difference. The young players that the Suns have aren't going to get good by seeing the court. Morris has the potential to be a solid role player, but Johnson is a lost cause, and I'm pretty pessimistic about Marshall too (though haven't seen enough of him). You can't "rebuild" around players who aren't able to earn playing time on their own merits.

Agree 100%

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We never went full-bore rebuild. We always had some clingingly mediocre team. This team is the pits, period. Yes, I remember Horry and Cassell, but this is much lower - and much needed.

Still don't see your argument against the team never rebuilding post Barkley. To end the '04 season the starting line-up was.

PG Barbosa (21)
SG JJ (22)
SF Marion (25)
PF Amare (21)
C McDyess (29)

Even after signing Nash they were the youngest team in the league in 04/05 up until they traded for McCarty and Jim Jackson.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Note:

We're currently slated for the 5th pick. What about the idea that we can make it up to #3 and draft Noel. Then, if we were to snag LAL's lotto pick, we could draft McAdoo. Next year, with a raw, defensive-minded 4 and a rookie to lead from the 3, we would still draft mid-lotto allowing us to draft a starting 2 (or go FA).

McAdoo is playing himself out of the lottery and I haven't seen anything from Noel that would excite me other than his unreal quickness for someone his size. Hopefully the Suns will be in position to draft 1 of the 3 SGs with their pick.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they're actually going to do this then we need to make some trades. What few guys have value are going to see their stats diminished getting less PT overall and more PT with guys who cant play.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am curious about Noel is a person. If he has a Beasley or Lopez personality I would stay far away, but with any type of intelligence and drive, that young man will go far at the next level.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They should have been developing since game number one. But yes, it would be mighty nice of Gentry to get the youngins some court time for the new coach. Gentry's time is almost up anyways, maybe the new cats can buy him some time if they play well. Gentry is always a half of a game behind.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
They should have been developing since game number one. But yes, it would be mighty nice of Gentry to get the youngins some court time for the new coach. Gentry's time is almost up anyways, maybe the new cats can buy him some time if they play well. Gentry is always a half of a game behind.

That's exactly why we haven't done it until now. Gentry needs to coach for a paycheck, but this far into the season, maybe he feels it's a foregone conclusion that he shouldn't try to coach this band of misfits into the playoffs.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They should have been developing since game number one.

Tell that to the front office that saddled Gentry with one of the worst rosters in the league while at the same time was talking playoff contention.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i think what he's saying is that since other teams are sliding, now's our time to start sliding as well.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Tell that to the front office that saddled Gentry with one of the worst rosters in the league while at the same time was talking playoff contention.

A front office of a team like this one telling fans that they are going to be in playoff contention is the equivilant of an 18-year-old telling his date "But I love you baby! I'll respect you in the morning."

Of course that is what they are going to say. They are just trying to get fans to put out money for tickets and merchandise. Shame on anyone gullible enough to beleive it. Genry should know better to believe any talk about making the playoffs and be acting with the long term interest of the team in mind.

I agree with Eric that there is not much benefit of trying to develop our younger players. We don't exactly have any future superstars who are just waiting to get enough playing time to blossom and reach their full potential.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

It's going to make a BIG difference. We will lose even more game and improve our draft position.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it me or does this sound like code speak for tanking it as much as possible to secure your draft position? I am with those above that you can't rebuild around the young players we have on this roster.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I agree that its highly unlikely we are going to discover a solid starter among our youthful crew but playing them is an acceptable way to tank, and there's a remote chance we'll get a pleasant surprise. Its not going to be fun to watch so we might as well give Beas more burn - and he's still as likely to surprise us as any of the others.

So as not to waste the others time I'd love to see us hire a defensive minded assistant coach and have Dragic, Dudley, Gortat etc work long and hard to improve their defense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard