Fox Sports first 2009 Mock Draft (Turrrrble)

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1. Detroit Lions — *Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
The Lions are a team that has to rebuild with a new regime, and they will decide between an offensive tackle and a quarterback. It's a tough choice, but they select Bradford.
2. St. Louis Rams — Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi
The Rams could use an upgrade in their secondary, but with two of the premier offensive tackles on the board, it comes down to Oher or Smith. The pick is Oher.
3. Kansas City Chiefs — *Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
With Bradford off the board and not wanting to reach for a defender, this is a classic trade down point for the Chiefs. Either way, Smith comes off the board.
4. Seattle Seahawks — *Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
With Matt Hasselbeck getting older and becoming more fragile, it's apparent that Seneca Wallace isn't the answer at quarterback. Stafford is the future in Seattle.
5. Cleveland Browns — Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
Statistically speaking, the Browns are not that bad at creating INTs and against the pass, but they need a front line CB who is a game changer. Jenkins is the answer.
6. Cincinnati Bengals — *Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
There is a chance that Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh are not in Cincinnati next year and with Crabtree being the best available, he's the pick.
7. Oakland Raiders — Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
Disappointed that Crabtree is off the board, the Raiders could turn their attention to Jeremy Maclin. But protecting JaMarcus Russell is a must, and Monroe is a great fit.
8. Jacksonville Jaguars — *Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
The Jaguars need a playmaker at wide receiver, and it's possible they could look at another position. But Maclin's dynamic skills are hard to pass up.
9. Green Bay Packers — *Everette Brown, DE, Florida State
The Packers were a disappointment, and they have to improve their pass rush. The selection of Brown provides Green Bay with a relentless defender with huge potential.
10. San Francisco 49ers — Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
The Niners could upgrade at many positions, including quarterback, but with Mike Singletary being the head coach and defense coming first, it will be hard to pass up Maualuga.
11. Buffalo Bills — Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
The Bills have the makings of a promising defense with some great athletes, but they lack playmakers. Orakpo gives Buffalo the much-needed pass rush they desire.
12. Denver Broncos — Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest
The Broncos will look to upgrade their defense with this selection, and it will come down to Taylor Mays or Curry. Curry's steady play wins out and he becomes an instant impact player.
13. Washington Redskins — Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
Now that Brown and Orakpo are off the board, the Redskins won't reach for Michael Johnson. With that said, they turn their attention to the O-line and select Smith.
14. New Orleans Saints — *Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
The Saints could use a player like Aaron Curry, but with him off the board, they will turn their attention to the secondary. Adding Davis to a woeful unit should bolster their pass defense.
15. Houston Texans — *Taylor Mays, FS, USC
The need for a playmaking defensive back is obvious, and the Texans are in a great position to get the draft's most complete safety. Mays is a starter from day one in Houston.
16. San Diego Chargers — *Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama
The Chargers may look at drafting a linebacker, but Maualuga and Curry fit better than James Laurinaitis. So, getting younger at DT is the alternative and San Diego welcomes "Mount" Cody.
17. New York Jets — *Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
The Jets received a great season from Thomas Jones, but with him now 30 years old, the clock is ticking. Adding Moreno gives the Jets an impact player who adds relief for the future.
18. Chicago Bears — Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
Teams in the NFL know what it takes to win: a franchise quarterback, a good running game and a defense that supplies pressure. The Bears now have two of the three with Johnson.
19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers — *Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State
The Buccaneers could use an upgrade at WR and OT, but with Wells still on the board and the uncertain future of Cadillac Williams, the Bucs protect themselves with this pick.
20. Detroit Lions (from Dallas) — James Laurinaitis, MLB, Ohio State
Drafting Bradford instead of an OT with their first pick was a gamble, because the top three OTs are now off the board. So, the Lions look to improve their defense with the selection of Laurinaitis.
21. Arizona Cardinals — Brian Cushing, OLB, USC
A young, rising defense with a lot of talent, the Cardinals continue to add athletes who can make a difference. With Karlos Dansby being a free agent, Cushing is the selection.
22. Philadelphia Eagles — *Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
It's obvious that L.J. Smith is done in Philly, and adding a tight end who can block and catch is a must. Gresham is tremendously talented and adds a lot on offense.
23. Minnesota Vikings — Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
The Vikings can go in a lot of directions with this pick. Upgrading at QB, WR and OT are possibilities, but with a playmaking CB on the board, Smith is the best value.
24. New England Patriots — William Moore, FS, Missouri
The Patriots secondary is a big concern moving forward, especially with the uncertain future of Rodney Harrison. Moore's playmaking ability and hard-knocks style fit nicely in New England.
25. Atlanta Falcons — Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma
The surprising Falcons have rallied behind QB Matt Ryan and RB Michael Turner. To keep things rolling for a while they have to improve upfront; hello Mr. Robinson.
26. Miami Dolphins — B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
The Dolphins will most likely use this pick to upgrade their defense. With the top linebackers being off the board, Miami turns to Raji to bolster their D-Line.
27. Baltimore Ravens — *Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
The Ravens are a defensive team that continues to bring in athletes who attack, but with Flacco as the QB of the future, they give him a weapon in local product Heyward-Bey.
28. Philadelphia Eagles (from Carolina) — Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma
The Eagles got their tight end in Gresham with their first pick and will add an OT with this selection. With the top guys off the board, the Eagles reach for Gresham's teammate, Phil Loadholt.
29. Indianapolis Colts — Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss
The Colts need more production upfront and have gotten good work from unforeseen sources. Jerry's ability to dominate inside gives the Colts what they need.
30. Pittsburgh Steelers — Max Unger, C/OT, Oregon
The Steelers have to get stronger on the offensive and defensive line. But it's obvious that upgrading the O-line is a bigger need, and although it's a reach, drafting Unger adds versatility.
31. New York Giants — Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
The Giants managed to get by without the injured Osi Umenyiora and retired Michael Strahan and drafting Jackson allows them to move Mathias Kiwanuka back to OLB.
32. Tennessee Titans — *Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
Having a No. 1 receiver who can stretch the field would open up more opportunities for the Titans playmakers and would make their offense much more dangerous. Harvin is the pick.

(*denotes underclassmen)
A member of the Pro Football Writers of America and the Football Writers Association of America, Chris Steuber has provided his analysis of the NFL and NFL Draft prospects on the Web and on the radio since 1999. Steuber's features are published across the FOXSports.com. If you wish to contact Chris Steuber, email him at [email protected].

Some of these explanations are even worse than the picks themselves!

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just dont understand how somebody can say that Seneca Wallace has no future in Seattle.. and how Denver can pass up on the best safety prospect since Sean Taylor.

This guy works for scout.com.. I thought they were supposed to know something.

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
I just dont understand how somebody can say that Seneca Wallace has no future in Seattle.. and how Denver can pass up on the best safety prospect since Sean Taylor.

Cut me some slack, I'm a Hawkeye fan! :p

OIC you didn't mean me. Never mind! ;)

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think Bradford declares.....

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mocks in January --- entertainment value only. If any of them get more than 10% of the picks correct they are just lucky.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I just dont understand how somebody can say that Seneca Wallace has no future in Seattle..

Would you want Seneca Wallace as your QBOF? Not me..when you have a chance for Stafford you don't pass him up because Seneca Wallace is on your roster.

Last edited:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I find the Ram's first round picks in this decde have high comic value. Outside of Steven Jackson they haven't even gotten remotely lucky

Check this out:

Trung canidate
Damion Lewis
Adma Archuleta
Ryan Pickett
Robert Thomas
Jimmy Kennedy
Steven Jackson
Alex Barron
Tye Hill
Adam Carriker (went sackless in 2008)
Chris Long (withholding judgment)

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Note of optimism (assuming Fox's conventional wisdom is as good as anyone else's): Moreno, Wells and Laurinitis are within 4 picks of us. , the odds are pretty good that one of the three would drop to us at #21.

If not, there's always Donald Brown. He's a 5-10 210 home run hitter who gained 2,083 yards for UConn this year.

I don't know much about Cushing, but the one thing I'd be looking for most in anyone we picked at #21 would be dominating athletic ability (i.e. speed, quickness, mobility ,size, hitting ability - depending on the position). If Cushing has DRC or Caleb Campbell qualities, he'd be a good pick. Otherwise, I'd go in a different direction.

(One exception to the above rule of "athletic dominance" might be the rule of "better football player than athlete". Laurinitis fits that mold. So, incidently would DE George Selvie (from I think So. FL).

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I would take Cushing in a heartbeat. He is prefectly built for Okeafers OLB spot on our defense. Cushing is a DE in a LB's body with athletic skills to cover. What player on USC's defense doesnt have dominating athletic ability.

Only knock on him is possible injury history.

Alex Mack could easily not be taken in the 1st round. NFL Networks draft pundits already have him as only the 2nd best center behind Max Unger. AFter see both play I think they have a great arguement.

Alphonso Smith is almost a clone of the Vikings current pro bowl CB. Including his midget status. If Smith was 2-3 inches taller he would be a sure fire top 10 pick IMO. He will be lucky to measure in even at 5-9. If anyone has watched Aaron Curry play play for Wake you will have noticed this kids play as well.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Cushing and think he would be a good choice for the Cards. Regarding Donald Brown the key will be his 40 time as we need a back with speed.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score

Not so fast mt friend. Mays is more Landry than Taylor.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Here is the thing about recent USC first rounders--

as a group, incredibly underwhelming.

You may have to go all the way back to Carson Palmer and Troy Polamalu to find a top 32 USC pick that you can say has performed at his draft position. Even the second round is a little scattershot.

Maybe Carrol has this program that of his starting 22 -- 15 are "marginal" NFL players and 7 are future insurance salesmen. When they play teams with 1 future NFL stud, 3 marginal NFL players and 18 future insurance salesmen -- the USC players look alot better than they really are.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
That's not a terrible mock. The only things i see out of whack is there is about 1% chance the Bengals take a WR in round 1. They took 2 last year. Terence Cody is said to be staying at Bama and i think Orakpo is going to go alot higher than people think. I think he's a top 5 pick. He'll work out fantastic and he showed alot of burst around the end in the Fiesta Bowl. Pass rushers are a premium. As for Mack, i see him in round 2 more and more.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's not a terrible mock.

Agree 100%. Ain't bad atoll. The one sure pick...OT from Alabama...whew!!

I'll throw another one in..Crabtree. Hey maybe the Lions will take him if he comes out!!
You must be registered for see images

I'm still a big Mack fan and regardless of where he goes he will make an impact.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Here is the thing about recent USC first rounders--

as a group, incredibly underwhelming.

You may have to go all the way back to Carson Palmer and Troy Polamalu to find a top 32 USC pick that you can say has performed at his draft position. Even the second round is a little scattershot.

Maybe Carrol has this program that of his starting 22 -- 15 are "marginal" NFL players and 7 are future insurance salesmen. When they play teams with 1 future NFL stud, 3 marginal NFL players and 18 future insurance salesmen -- the USC players look alot better than they really are.

id say Reggie Bush, LenDale White, Matt Cassel, Tatupa, Kenechi Udezi, Shaun Cody, Steve Smith, Mike Patterson and Lutui have performed to their position taken and above...

the only busts i can think of are Winston Justice, Mike Williams, and Matt Leinart(sorry)

others that are decent: Keary Colbert, Fargas, Jarrett, Sam Baker(yet to be decided)

USC has talented players in the league

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
id say Reggie Bush, LenDale White, Matt Cassel, Tatupa, Kenechi Udezi, Shaun Cody, Steve Smith, Mike Patterson and Lutui have performed to their position taken and above...

the only busts i can think of are Winston Justice, Mike Williams, and Matt Leinart(sorry)

others that are decent: Keary Colbert, Fargas, Jarrett, Sam Baker(yet to be decided)

Reggie Bush has not lived up to his draft position. Not even close.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

I was focused on first rounders--

Bush hasnt lived up to #2
Leinart hastn lived up to #10
Udeze wasnt all that good prior to getting sick
Mike Williams was a bust
Jarrett and Baker havent lived up to first round expectations
Patterson has been okay i guess, but half a sack for the whole season on a team that creates chaos rushing the passer?

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
^Baker was actually very good for Atlanta this year. I wouldn't call him great, but definitely not a bust.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score

Carson Palmer - One of the best QBs in the league, but injuries and terrible team around him. Hasn't been the same since the Kimo hit.
Troy Polamalu - Third best safety in the league.
Reggie Bush - Has disappointed, but was comnig around this year. Lead league in TDs before injury.
Lendale White - Very good power back.
Matt Cassel - One year wonder?
Lofa Tatupu - Was an elite MLB until this year.
Kenichi Udeze - Disappointed prior to illness.
Steve Smith - Solid #2 receiver.
Shaun Cody - Bust.
Mike Patterson - Good rotation guy. Plays NT in Eagles' scheme, so sacks are gravy for him.
Deuce Lutui - Helter-skelter. Really want to say disappointment, but I'm holding out that he'll come around.
Sam Baker - Played very well this year for a rookie.
Mike Williams - Don't get me started...
Matt Leinart - Getting the Rodgers treatment somewhat. Jury out.
Winston Justice - Bum.
Keary Colbert - After outlier rookie season, proved not athletic enough to consistently impact in NFL.
Justin Fargas - Finally clicked and opportunity came at right time. Solid
Dwayne Jarrett - Bad choice to come out early and still polishing up. Has shown flashes, but too early to tell.
Lawrence Jackson - 2 sacks, but didn't pay too much attention to him.
Darnell Bing - The NFL Combine was not kind to him and was exposed to be a 'tweener LB/S without coverage skills.

As you can see, it's pretty much right down the middle and could go either way when the others get enough time. While USC does have a solid track record of producing NFL players, you can make an argument they do not produce many top tier (read: elite) players as you are lead to believe. USC has an early case of Texas-itis.