Failure to Extend Humphries

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The Cards still have major holes. They also are tight against the cap. They reworked several contracts, but I find it most telling they didn’t redo Humphries’ contract. Clearly they could have used the money. To say the least they must be unsure if he’s their tackle long term. In fact, that decision may have already been made. Assuming that to be the case, I have to wonder if an early OT should be added to the Cards’ draft shopping list. Could they even be considering trading Humphries? Humphries is certainly coming off a down year, but is young enough to have many useful years left for someone. A team looking more at potential than recent history, could have an interest. It’s true that his last extension was just prior to free agency, but waiting until the last minute is a dangerous assumption that the future will simply be a continuation of the past. If the Cards truly wanted him, it would seem they had the perfect opportunity to show it. If you’re wondering about the 2023 draft, it’s likely one of the biggest for QBs and above average for OTs. So if the Cards are looking to make a move, the future prospects would seem to line up for an OT or even a QB.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The Cards still have major holes. They also are tight against the cap. They reworked several contracts, but I find it most telling they didn’t redo Humphries’ contract. Clearly they could have used the money. To say the least they must be unsure if he’s their tackle long term. In fact, that decision may have already been made. Assuming that to be the case, I have to wonder if an early OT should be added to the Cards’ draft shopping list. Could they even be considering trading Humphries? Humphries is certainly coming off a down year, but is young enough to have many useful years left for someone. A team looking more at potential than recent history, could have an interest. It’s true that his last extension was just prior to free agency, but waiting until the last minute is a dangerous assumption that the future will simply be a continuation of the past. If the Cards truly wanted him, it would seem they had the perfect opportunity to show it. If you’re wondering about the 2023 draft, it’s likely one of the biggest for QBs and above average for OTs. So if the Cards are looking to make a move, the future prospects would seem to line up for an OT or even a QB.
It's crazy to me that a team full of holes at crucial positions would create another premium hole, but nothing about this offseason or "plan" make any sense.

Hump is no world beater, but is an average OT, and has been more reliable from a health perspective.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
How do we know that they haven't tried...or it's part of the extend Murray this Summer, when most other QB extensions are done, plan?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think they will, but not until they need to. If they have a deal in the pipeline that requires the extra cap space then they will do it (i think). Until then they are happy to stand pat.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Paying mediocre penalty-prone players like Humphreys is not a good thing. There is no reason to think he will ascend at this point in his career. He is what he is-a mediocre tackle who helps the offense shoot itself in the foot at critical times.

I'd gladly trade him for a 2nd round pick especially if Zion Johnson is picked at 23.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paying mediocre penalty-prone players like Humphreys is not a good thing. There is no reason to think he will ascend at this point in his career. He is what he is-a mediocre tackle who helps the offense shoot itself in the foot at critical times.

I'd gladly trade him for a 2nd round pick especially if Zion Johnson is picked at 23.
Recipe for success. Draft a player at one position, and let another one at a more important position go...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recipe for failure: overpaying for mediocrity.
LT is the 2nd most important position on the team. You can't just let a player go that has played well for you because you think he is mediocre.

Reactions: PJ1

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score

Couple of things...11 penalties is penalty-prone?

Also, mediocre players can get 2nd round picks in trade?

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

Johnson looks better at guard or center. It would be a gamble he could improve enough to play LT.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everyone back on the "Hump is mediocre" train again now? A lot were crowning him after his one and only good season.

Complete shambles he made the Pro Bowl last year.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everyone back on the "Hump is mediocre" train again now? A lot were crowning him after his one and only good season.

Complete shambles he made the Pro Bowl last year.
One of most embarrassing selection ever
Keim inability to add quality offensive lineman brought them to overpay an average tackle
Beachum takes a lot less then Humphrey but he had a slightly better career so far

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
this time last year Humphries was an ascending player, finishing the year with (FWIW) a very good PFF grade.

he took a step back last year, especially after the bye (he was joined in that by ~45 of the 53 guys on the roster in that regard)

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One of most embarrassing selection ever
Keim inability to add quality offensive lineman brought them to overpay an average tackle
Beachum takes a lot less then Humphrey but he had a slightly better career so far
lol hyperbole, especially when he’s arguably been the best non-Kyler 1st rounder, which is hilarious & sad.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Humphries, Pugh, Beachum, Miles, Harlow, Murray, and Hernandez are all UFAs come 2023 yet nothing has been done to date to even start addressing this.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol hyperbole, especially when he’s arguably been the best non-Kyler 1st rounder, which is hilarious & sad.
If we are talking about Keim draft picks, I don't even think it is an argument. He was also drafted in the 20s right? Hell of a player, especially for Keim.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Humphries, Pugh, Beachum, Miles, Harlow, Murray, and Hernandez are all UFAs come 2023 yet nothing has been done to date to even start addressing this.
Humphries...Will probably keep. Like I mentioned earlier, it may very well be that any extension/restructure for Hump is tied to Murray this summer.
Pugh...Likely gone anyway.
Miles...Has he done much to warrant an early extension?
Harlow...See Miles above.
Murray...Coming off an injury and will be 30 before 2023 season. What's the rush?
Hernandez...Literally just signed 3 weeks ago.

I see zero issue, with the exception of Hump, in letting the draft and season get underway, before worrying about guys that most other teams probably wouldn't have as backups.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think Charles Cross would warrant some interest if he is still on the board.

2 points on this.

1 - We 100% are overpaying for an average at best offensive line.

2 - A down year does not make a bad player. I struggle to see how we are better letting Humphries go. I guess the path would be moving Beachum to LT and putting Josh Jones as the starting RT. Good luck with that.

When you aren't signing FAs and don't have a good draft history, it is tough to justify making wholesale changes.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Charles Cross would warrant some interest if he is still on the board.

2 points on this.

1 - We 100% are overpaying for an average at best offensive line.

2 - A down year does not make a bad player. I struggle to see how we are better letting Humphries go. I guess the path would be moving Beachum to LT and putting Josh Jones as the starting RT. Good luck with that.

When you aren't signing FAs and don't have a good draft history, it is tough to justify making wholesale changes.
Yet that is what we are expected do, when nearly our entire starting OL will be free agents next year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yet that is what we are expected do, when nearly our entire starting OL will be free agents next year.
Maybe. The draft will clarify some things. You can start panicking if we start the season without extending Humphries or Beachum and we didn't draft an OL in rounds 1 or 2.

(also our GM is not good)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson