Failure to Extend Humphries

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
YEAH, BECAUSE AFTER ALL THOSE YEARS OF HAVING BELOW AVERAGE lt PLAY...AN AVERAGE GUY IS JUST PLAIN UNACCEPTABLE.
KEEP THROWING THEM OUT UNTIL WE FIND A hOf PLAYER...WE DESERVE IT ****** IT

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Josh Jones seems to be the forgotten man. Some will say he was subpar at OG so why move him to LT, Humphries struggled at RT the year before he was moved to LT, Jones has the athleticism and measurables to play LT but obviously needs work. Enter Kugler.

If ARZ throws a curveball and takes Trevor Penning maybe that signals the end of Humphries tenure after the up coming year.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You're assuming they have an actual plan for Humphries and the O-line in general. I thought the same thing about the edges when they let Reddick and CJ go for basically nothing, yet here we are.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol hyperbole, especially when he’s arguably been the best non-Kyler 1st rounder, which is hilarious
Most embarrassing selection ever was about the pro bowl after performing so badly later in the season
Im agree he is probably the best first round pick drafted by Keim, outside of k1

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're assuming they have an actual plan for Humphries and the O-line in general. I thought the same thing about the edges when they let Reddick and CJ go for basically nothing, yet here we are.
Based on performance would u pay him 15 mil a year? Or u want to pay him so much just cause its hard for someone finding an adequate tackle?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Most embarrassing selection ever was about the pro bowl after performing so badly later in the season
Im agree he is probably the best first round pick drafted by Keim, outside of k1
I’m not gonna get mad at one of our guys getting a pro-bowl selection whether you think they deserved it or not. I’m pretty sure it was a big deal to him & his family.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not gonna get mad at one of our guys getting a pro-bowl selection whether you think they deserved it or not. I’m pretty sure it was a big deal to him & his family.
There are billions of families , and his family very presumably is having a better life then 99% of the families all over the world
I was talking about the pro bowl selection

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Humphries...Will probably keep. Like I mentioned earlier, it may very well be that any extension/restructure for Hump is tied to Murray this summer.
Pugh...Likely gone anyway.
Miles...Has he done much to warrant an early extension?
Harlow...See Miles above.
Murray...Coming off an injury and will be 30 before 2023 season. What's the rush?
Hernandez...Literally just signed 3 weeks ago.

I see zero issue, with the exception of Hump, in letting the draft and season get underway, before worrying about guys that most other teams probably wouldn't have as backups.
I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment but the real issue you suddenly have 7 positions open on the team and all in the same area, Oline. How can you expect to have that many open positions and have any type of continuity on the Oline. You now need to replace 3-4 starters and several backups. If I'm not mistaken the Dline is going to take a hit also.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment but the real issue you suddenly have 7 positions open on the team and all in the same area, Oline. How can you expect to have that many open positions and have any type of continuity on the Oline. You now need to replace 3-4 starters and several backups. If I'm not mistaken the Dline is going to take a hit also.
I don't have the answers, except to say teams like the Steelers and Chiefs have done complete OL overhauls in recent seasons, replacing 4 or more starters.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I like Humphries. Great character, strong run blocker and good pass blocker who cannot help Kyler not stepping up when like any tackle he is going to guide his man to the backside of the pocket's rim... where Kyler often likes to stay before he runs backwards into a sack lol

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The "This org is garbage because a few lineman are out of contract next year" takes are funny.

Half the league probably has multiple starting linemen FA next year.

Hump can easily be extended any time. Pugh can easily be extended any time. Hudson is under contract. We have no fixed starter at RG but whoever wins that role can easily be extended and hopefully after only 1 year with any kind of playing time Josh Jones will eventually step up and take the RT job.

Josh Jones isn't much worse at this point than Hump was at the same point and didn't cost a 1st round pick.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
A down year does not make a bad player. I struggle to see how we are better letting Humphries go.
letting him go would be a huge mistake.

he is another player -- like Kyler -- where he was good enough to produce a top 5 offense and 11 wins. But also the same player that regressed badly the last 7 games.

those last 7 games wouldnt give a FO confidence that a four year extension at $20+m per is the way to go

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While Hump hasn't been great I don't think you can criticize the pick. What was the alternative?

The only better player taken in that vicinity was Byron Jones. It's not like we picked Hump over Trent Williams.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson