Failure to Extend Humphries

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Josh Jones seems to be the forgotten man. Some will say he was subpar at OG so why move him to LT, Humphries struggled at RT the year before he was moved to LT, Jones has the athleticism and measurables to play LT but obviously needs work. Enter Kugler.

If ARZ throws a curveball and takes Trevor Penning maybe that signals the end of Humphries tenure after the up coming year.
Forgotten for a reason. He has not shown anything to factor into major decisions like this.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Forgotten for a reason. He has not shown anything to factor into major decisions like this.

He's only played for 1 season, and even then it was mostly out of position with 80% of snaps played at RG. A position he's never played a snap at before last season.

They should give him every shot to replace Beachum at RT this year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He's only played for 1 season, and even then it was mostly out of position with 80% of snaps played at RG. A position he's never played a snap at before last season.

They should give him every shot to replace Beachum at RT this year.
He has had a shot win the RG and RT starting spot every season. He hasn't been able to do it and when he did start, he wasn't able to hold onto it.

I am not saying he is a bust yet, but he has failed to consistently beta out Beachum, Murray and was replaced by Garcia in the season. That is what he is right now. A below average player who they hope becomes more.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He has had a shot win the RG and RT starting spot every season. He hasn't been able to do it and when he did start, he wasn't able to hold onto it.

I am not saying he is a bust yet, but he has failed to consistently beta out Beachum, Murray and was replaced by Garcia in the season. That is what he is right now. A below average player who they hope becomes more.

Sure, but you could say the same for Hump at the same point. He couldn't beat out Veldheer and only got the RT job because of Massie's issues.

All I'm saying is too many people write him off as if he is what he is. I don't see it that way.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "This org is garbage because a few lineman are out of contract next year" takes are funny.
Your attempts to always defend the organization are funny. This isn't a few lineman, it is their entire starting line if they do not draft someone this year. (that starts)

Show me another team where every single starting lineman will be a free agent and I will concede. I bet you can't. Otherwise, you picked a terrible time to be in 'Team Keim.'

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I give guys playing out of position the benefit of the doubt. Like Reddick who was was made an ILB his first 3 years and looking like a bust before breaking out as a pass rusher he should have always been, I see Jones in the same boat. From what I read, he only played LT in college so him not excelling at OG in NFL should not be a surprise. His scouting report clearly stated he was raw but all his flaws could be fixed with coaching. With Beachum on roster, he hasn't been able to get reps at RT to get used to playing outside like Humphries got before getting moved to LT.

I am not saying Jones is the answer but not knowing if he is because he is playing out of position is not on him.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sure, but you could say the same for Hump at the same point. He couldn't beat out Veldheer and only got the RT job because of Massie's issues.

All I'm saying is too many people write him off as if he is what he is. I don't see it that way.
This is why I don't always view OL prospects as immediate starters. Most of the time they AREN'T immediate starters.

I remember when some were advocating taking Cody Ford, Murray's RT at OU with the first pick in the 2nd round. That dude hasn't been good at all for the Bills. He's been about on par with Josh Jones. Do I believe he is a huge bust? Not necessarily, OL sometimes take 3-4 years to be good.

It's like when we've discussed Mark Glowinski. Did he get better when he got to play the right guard position, or did he get stronger and did his football IQ grow with reps? I tend to think that OL are a developmental position and that you sometimes have to have patience with players before you move on. If you draft a guy in rounds 1-3, expect that they won't be a good starter until about year three.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your attempts to always defend the organization are funny. This isn't a few lineman, it is their entire starting line if they do not draft someone this year. (that starts)

Show me another team where every single starting lineman will be a free agent and I will concede. I bet you can't. Otherwise, you picked a terrible time to be in 'Team Keim.'

Except it isn't. Hudson is under contract next year.

Pugh can easily be extended if his level stays worthy this year. He took a pay cut because he doesn't want to move again.

Hump will almost certainly get extended. Probably this off season, if not then next year.

His last extension didn't happen until a month before he was due to hit FA.

I'm not defending anyone, there's nothing to defend. I'm just not constantly looking for ways to attack this franchise.

I'm not remote concerned about next year's O line.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I give guys playing out of position the benefit of the doubt. Like Reddick who was was made an ILB his first 3 years and looking like a bust before breaking out as a pass rusher he should have always been, I see Jones in the same boat. From what I read, he only played LT in college so him not excelling at OG in NFL should not be a surprise. His scouting report clearly stated he was raw but all his flaws could be fixed with coaching. With Beachum on roster, he hasn't been able to get reps at RT to get used to playing outside like Humphries got before getting moved to LT.

I am not saying Jones is the answer but not knowing if he is because he is playing out of position is not on him.

He had an 85 PFF grade at LT.

For the whole 5 snaps he played there...

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Pugh can easily be extended if his level stays worthy this year. He took a pay cut because he doesn't want to move again.

Hump will almost certainly get extended. Probably this off season, if not then next year.

I'm not defending anyone, there's nothing to defend. I'm just not constantly looking for ways to attack this franchise.

These extensions are not a good plan imo
We are talking about very average players at least
Pugh has been good but he is 32
We need at least one starter and one project starter from the draft

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

You don’t have “to look” when the facts are that 4/5 starters aren’t under contract.

And you can say you’re not remotely concerned, but it doesn’t change the facts that right now next years oline is . . . Hudson and players L, M, N, and O.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I concede then. Only FOUR of the five are free agents. You really skewered my point.... oh wait.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Sometimes I wish the Cardinals were more strategic, e.g., picking Tristan Witfs as a long-term answer at a key and highly paid position instead of falling in love with the shiny Swiss army knife at a relatively cheap position-inside linebacker. There are always exceptions like the second coming of Ray Lewis.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Exactly. He isn't even close to the worst problems in the starting offensive line, let alone the entire team.
I think it’s interesting that no one responded “he isn’t a problem.” It was either “he’s way down the list” or isn’t close to the worst” - both of which kinda indicate he is a problem among many problems.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe but the last Humphries i watched has been beyond terrible

It's funny to see people say he's not the worst thing on the O line.

He gave up 7 sacks last year and 11 penalties.

Pugh gave up 0 sacks and 2 penalties.

Hudson gave up 1 sack and 1 penalty.

Josh Jones had 4 sacks and 12 penalties.

Beachum had 2 sacks and 7 penalties.

Stats aren't everything but you can make the argument that he is the worse thing on the O line.

If Keim was signing an outside free agent tackle that gave up 7 sacks and 11 pens last year for $19m for one year this board would overload.

We're stuck with him but I don't buy that he's not a problem.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Issue - should we keep guys in their original roles or should we move them to new positions?

Are some teams more willing (some would say “eager” ) to draft for athleticism and play guys out of place? Are other teams more conservative about where they use their players?

In terms of relative team success, has emphasizing so-called versatility been a good idea? For the Cards? For other teams?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's funny to see people say he's not the worst thing on the O line.

He gave up 7 sacks last year and 11 penalties.

Pugh gave up 0 sacks and 2 penalties.

Hudson gave up 1 sack and 1 penalty.

Josh Jones had 4 sacks and 12 penalties.

Beachum had 2 sacks and 7 penalties.

Stats aren't everything but you can make the argument that he is the worse thing on the O line.

If Keim was signing an outside free agent tackle that gave up 7 sacks and 11 pens last year for $19m for one year this board would overload.

We're stuck with him but I don't buy that he's not a problem.
Context matters. Humphries also played way more snaps than anyone else on the OL (1082 vs 994 for Beachum #2). He also had less protection because we were sliding people right + TE to protect our RT.

Sacks obviously aren't everything. FO's Blown Blocks rates will come out in late June or early July and tell us more. IMO, I think the fact that Kyler wasn't running as much and not running effectively made everyone else look bad. If you don't know what to expect from the quarterback down in and out, you don't know how to protect him.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose