FA RB James Conner (Steelers) - Signed to Contract 04/13/21

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well, if one thing is for certain, with Connor we can have a big back in the game, and it doesn't mean an automatic run.

I wonder how his rush pickup and run blocking are. Having a 233lb back lead blocking for Kyler could help.

I wonder if having a 233lb back behind Hudson means we'll actually be able to pound it up the middle? It'd be nice. Seen other teams do it for decades. Hopefully.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
where was I arguing numbers/ price I asked a simple question do we know he was cheap yet like everyone is assuming? where in my argument did I say he’s good because he’s injured? Lol

Im stating his numbers when he plays show he he is a good serviceable more then adequate RB and have stated that his questions rely on health. Nothing more or less.... You guys are taking like the kid is in the trash heap with the like Leland McElroy.... sheeeshhhh....
Nah, he’s a fine signing. He’ll contribute this year. Our rb room isn’t great but it’s not totally trash anymore. If his availability becomes an issue we will be in trouble.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Looking at overall rushing and not understanding the difference between rb rushing effectiveness and QB runs shows a lack of sophisticated understanding of the game.
lol I played 12 years of football and ran MLB for Brophy. I communicated play calls from coach and had free reign to audible. Hell, I've audibled calls against Hundley.... Our weekly tendencies excel spreadsheet taped to our arms would make your head spin and that was just highschool football.

Yards are Yards. Scoreboard doesnt care if K1 or an RB scores and neither does the world outside of like 4 posters here. But sure, Im the one with an unsophisticated understanding of football.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
you keep listing the Chiefs and Pats having bad running backs as proof you can win Super Bowls... without noting that one of those teams has literally the best QB of all time and the other is looking like one of the best QBs of all time.

Cool story. Who else would you have signed? Philip Lindsey? Meh. There aren't many options, and really not many that are better than Conner this offseason. I would LOVE to draft a back, but again, Keim's mismanagement in other areas makes it so that using a 1 or a 2 on a back isn't a great idea.

Would you have paid DRAKE!?!?! $8 million per? I think that one of Keim's strengths (he does have a few!) is finding cheaper vets to be productive.

last time I looked, we (and no other team in the league) can’t make that statement so it’s a specious argument to make, IMO.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Murray was Offensive Rookie of the year and a Pro Bowler in year two. He was responsible for 37 TDs.

those two teams also have the best coach of all time and another HOF Coach. Pretty sure we can’t make that statement either, so I have no idea how what the Pats/Chiefs did applies to us or most other teams moving forward to try and be successful.

Naw man. The point is that RB isn't that important nowadays. Conner is fine. Not a great player, but the Pittsburgh Steelers rolled with him for years. A combination of Edmonds, Conner, some Murray runs, and maybe Eno/Ward can be good enough, especially if the IOL starts to actually NOT suck. I mean...the Cardinals did bring in one of the best centers in the NFL, so we can at least marginally expect the offensive line to improve some.

that said, I’m not pumped or dumped by this move. It’s okay. Just like our running back room... just okay. But this signing makes it not bad, allows us to grab a RB in the second not first round.

Then why the consternation? I mean, I'm not jumping for joy about this move either, but it's not a bad move. Conner can play in the NFL and there is SOME upside to it. The Steelers run blocking was significantly worse than the Cardinals last season. And I'd still rather NOT use a 2nd rounder on a RB. That's just not smart when more premium positions (CB or edge) should be available at 49.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
lol I played 12 years of football and ran MLB for Brophy. I communicated play calls from coach and had free reign to audible. Hell, I've audibled calls against Hundley.... Our weekly tendencies excel spreadsheet taped to our arms would make your head spin and that was just highschool football.

Yards are Yards. Scoreboard doesnt care if K1 or an RB scores and neither does the world outside of like 4 posters here. But sure, Im the one with an unsophisticated understanding of football.

Bro...don't you know? QB runs count for half yards and QB TDs are only worth 4.53 points as opposed to 6!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
99% of the arguing in this thread isn't about Conner. There's a whole bunch of "Conner is a decent player/good signing but the RB room sucks"

Which actually means you don't like Edmonds, without anyone actually saying that once that I can see. Specifically seems to be the idea of Edmonds as RB1.

Lets say it the other way round,

Conner / Edmonds
Carson / Penny
Mostert / Wilson
Akers / Henderson

I'm really not seeing any vast talent difference in those back fields. And that's just our division.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The barrier come when u keep saying that there is a barrier

I understood, u think their unit are a lot better

Just asked u to make a comparison, name by name
Oh, I didn't get what you were asking.

Carson
Akers
Mostert
Henderson
Edmonds
Wilson
Penny
Conner
Hasty
Homer
Collins
Dallas
--------- Nearly pointless to rank after this
Ward
Jones
Calais
Benjamin
Muhammad

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bro...don't you know? QB runs count for half yards and QB TDs are only worth 4.53 points as opposed to 6!
I didnt. thanks for filling me in on the AZSFN rushing standard. What should I do when my QB runs for more than 10 yards and I run out of fingers? should I take my socks off and keep counting or does it just stop there?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't get what you were asking.

Carson
Akers
Mostert
Henderson
Edmonds
Wilson
Penny
Conner
Hasty
Homer
Collins
Dallas
--------- Nearly pointless to rank after this
Ward
Jones
Calais
Benjamin
Muhammad

Penny should be near the bottom...dude can't stay healthy and really hasn't done much at all in his career.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lets say it the other way round,

Conner / Edmonds
Carson / Penny
Mostert / Wilson
Akers / Henderson

I'm really not seeing any vast talent difference in those back fields. And that's just our division.

@Solar7 not sure those units are so much better

BTW I know how much u want a rb in the first round

The only first round pick here is Penny...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Cool story. Who else would you have signed? Philip Lindsey? Meh. There aren't many options, and really not many that are better than Conner this offseason. I would LOVE to draft a back, but again, Keim's mismanagement in other areas makes it so that using a 1 or a 2 on a back isn't a great idea.

Would you have paid DRAKE!?!?! $8 million per? I think that one of Keim's strengths (he does have a few!) is finding cheaper vets to be productive.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Murray was Offensive Rookie of the year and a Pro Bowler in year two. He was responsible for 37 TDs.

Naw man. The point is that RB isn't that important nowadays. Conner is fine. Not a great player, but the Pittsburgh Steelers rolled with him for years. A combination of Edmonds, Conner, some Murray runs, and maybe Eno/Ward can be good enough, especially if the IOL starts to actually NOT suck. I mean...the Cardinals did bring in one of the best centers in the NFL, so we can at least marginally expect the offensive line to improve some.

Then why the consternation? I mean, I'm not jumping for joy about this move either, but it's not a bad move. Conner can play in the NFL and there is SOME upside to it. The Steelers run blocking was significantly worse than the Cardinals last season. And I'd still rather NOT use a 2nd rounder on a RB. That's just not smart when more premium positions (CB or edge) should be available at 49.
I can’t speak for cheese, but truth is, I don’t have consternation about this move. I just find myself drawn to point out poor, or only partially developed, arguments.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I can’t speak for cheese, but truth is, I don’t have consternation about this move. I just find myself drawn to point out poor, or only partially developed, arguments.

I'm not HAPPY about the RB room by any stretch, but to act like it's an impending disaster is laughable.

The only RB room that's really any good in the NFC West is the Rams. The Niners system pretty much helps any RB look good; it's the same system that made Olandis Gary a star for a year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard