FA RB James Conner (Steelers) - Signed to Contract 04/13/21

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I would say K1 is clearly a better thrower than Vick and Lamar. We've got a shot.

are you looking for me to say Kylers legs are hindering the team because we should be solely relying on RBs for running production? I cant go there, I dont live in 1985.
I'm saying we should be relying on something other than our QB to play hero ball on every single play to even have a chance at a win, yes, that's what I'm saying. Kyler's legs should be a complementary piece, not a reason to neglect the rest of the team.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The only concern with Conner is health. You calling him poor over and over doesn’t make it so and the stats show otherwise.
and Chase is pretty efficient too. there's a crowd just cherry picking "RB yards" as a poor stat for us and declaring our RBs suck when its so clearly not true.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I'm elated with the RBs but man they arent garbage either.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The only concern with Conner is health. You calling him poor over and over doesn’t make it so and the stats show otherwise.
Our RB corps as a whole are poor. We have two lower-to-average backs, and in Conner's case, the best ability is availability quote applies.

Understand that my framing of this isn't that Conner isn't some terrible back, it's just pretty apparent this is going to be the main corps we enter 2021 with, and I find it to be one of the more subpar backfields in the league.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm saying we should be relying on something other than our QB to play hero ball on every single play to even have a chance at a win, yes, that's what I'm saying. Kyler's legs should be a complementary piece, not a reason to neglect the rest of the team.
K1s legs are a complimentary piece and he's so distant from being the primary ball carrier, stats wise.

And there are stats to backup that he needs 10 designed runs a game and our win % goes way up. Thats a hard fact. Who watches the NFL and thinks "K1's legs are hindering this team." good god, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
and Chase is pretty efficient too. there's a crowd just cherry picking "RB yards" as a poor stat for us and declaring our RBs suck when its so clearly not true.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I'm elated with the RBs but man they arent garbage either.
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/depth-chart/RB/
Tell me which backfields you would rather have less than ours. I can literally only pick 3, and maybe 4 if I consider it a coin flip.

We're better than:
Jets
Steelers (who let Conner walk)
Falcons

Maybe better than:
Dolphins

I can see all of these teams picking one of the top 3 RBs before we get to pick at 49 too, at which point I'll likely consider those three teams better off than us.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our RB corps as a whole are poor. We have two lower-to-average backs, and in Conner's case, the best ability is availability quote applies.

Understand that my framing of this isn't that Conner isn't some terrible back, it's just pretty apparent this is going to be the main corps we enter 2021 with, and I find it to be one of the more subpar backfields in the league.

Can u make a comparison with Seattle Rams and 49ers RBs?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am talking football. I just had to read 3 pages of Ouchie talking about how great the 49ers backfield is when its actually disgusting.

No surprise he had no research behind those posts, like much of his others. Half this forum is bored grown men telling other bored grown men they are idiots. Not sure why calling that out is a trash post. I'm trying to avoid the trash.

and we have mods here telling people their analysis is BS so calm down on the forums rules stuff lol I called a guy borderline obnoxious. I didnt kill anyone

Please dial it back a bit

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/depth-chart/RB/
Tell me which backfields you would rather have less than ours. I can literally only pick 3, and maybe 4 if I consider it a coin flip.

We're better than:
Jets
Steelers (who let Conner walk)
Falcons

Maybe better than:
Dolphins

I can see all of these teams picking one of the top 3 RBs before we get to pick at 49 too, at which point I'll likely consider those three teams better off than us.
totally ignoring the QB is in the backfield and also has legs and get this, those yards and touchdowns count too!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m sorry this is a total homer post. If you took all of the players in all those teams rb rooms and put them on the market I wouldn’t be surprised if our stable were the last to be signed. Edmonds would attract some interest, but not over the top (and maybe eve not over the second best) break for each team.

I'm the least homer fan you will ever meet. Darksiders as usual are under rating our talent while over rating others.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
K1s legs are a complimentary piece and he's so distant from being the primary ball carrier, stats wise.

And there are stats to backup that he needs 10 designed runs a game and our win % goes way up. Thats a hard fact. Who watches the NFL and thinks "K1's legs are hindering this team." good god, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.
I never said they're hindering the team, in fact I said we can't win without them because we're so talent poor. K1 was our leading rusher last year. That's nowhere near "distant from being the primary ball carrier." In fact, he had 36 more rushes last year than the guy we have slated to be our starter.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I never said they're hindering the team, in fact I said we can't win without them because we're so talent poor. K1 was our leading rusher last year. That's nowhere near "distant from being the primary ball carrier." In fact, he had 36 more rushes last year than the guy we have slated to be our starter.

Drake was the leading rusher

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Actuallu that depends on circumstances... Considering he was recovering from his toe injury it’s entirely possible he wasn’t available for an actual physical till now. Are we sure it’s a small contract? Have numbers been released... Not being obtuse I haven’t seen numbers yet?
Both those arguments cut against your premise . . . so now he’s good bc he’s injured or expensive? You’re arguing outta both sides of your mouth.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Can u make a comparison with Seattle Rams and 49ers RBs?
Yes, they are all better? lol

totally ignoring the QB is in the backfield and also has legs and get this, those yards and touchdowns count too!
You're ignoring that we didn't get those yards, touchdowns, or wins because he got hurt and it took away that part of his game. Now I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Last I checked, football is a team sport. You need to be able to count on a week where for whatever reason, injury, illness, a bad night's sleep, your QB is having an off game.

If our running game could have done anything but throw up pathetic yardage totals for 7 weeks straight, maybe we'd be talking about how we made the playoffs last year.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both those arguments cut against your premise . . . so now he’s good bc he’s injured or expensive? You’re arguing outta both sides of your mouth.

where was I arguing numbers/ price I asked a simple question do we know he was cheap yet like everyone is assuming? where in my argument did I say he’s good because he’s injured? Lol

Im stating his numbers when he plays show he he is a good serviceable more then adequate RB and have stated that his questions rely on health. Nothing more or less.... You guys are taking like the kid is in the trash heap with the like Leland McElroy.... sheeeshhhh....

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What did our QB running the ball 133 times get us last year? An injury in week 11 that cratered Murray's production, led to three straight losses, and was a big part of why we backslid to a 2-5 record in the back half of the season and failed to make the playoffs. Drake and Edmonds had pitiful production down the stretch and because our team is wholly reliant on a healthy Kyler Murray, we lost.

Total rushing yards don't matter when an off game from your QB simply means you have no pathway to win because your running game and defense can't take any of the slack off.

Also, it's ridiculous to come in here and call someone obnoxious when ever since you've joined you've acted so positive about this non-winning team that you'd think you were Kliff Kingsbury's nephew.
Looking at overall rushing and not understanding the difference between rb rushing effectiveness and QB runs shows a lack of sophisticated understanding of the game.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
Considering we were 2nd worst in that stat last year it’s not exactly a shocking prediction.

If we have a subpar D and our wr routes and passing offenses will not be better next year, we will play from behind a lot and our running backs will get less carries as a result.

If that happens you will definitely be right regarding rb stats.

If we have a functional D and a working passing offense, we will be ahead a lot. Our rbs will get more carries as a result and we will not be in the last spots in rb yards.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm the least homer fan you will ever meet. Darksiders as usual are under rating our talent while over rating others.
I’m curious to see you take those four teams and rank all the rbs in terms of ability/availability.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Probably a bit of a language barrier - I was saying that all of the backfields in our division are better.

The barrier comes when u keep saying that there is a barrier
u think their units are a lot better
Just asked u to make a comparison, name by name

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am going to ask this simple question.

If Conner is so great, why did the Steelers not want to resign him, and why was he still a free agent as of yesterday?

The answer is obvious - he is not a RB teams are excited about, including the team he has been the primary back for 3 years.

If he is comparable to Drake - why did Drake get 8 million a year, and was signed a couple days after free agency started? Anybody that has watched both play knows the answer - Drake is the superior RB.

1000 reasons. Apply all these same questions to Alexander, Ingram, Fisher, Turner, Nelson, Vaccaro, Boston, Devon dre Campbell, Jesse James and several dozen talented players that are still FA's.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort