Current (post draft) Roster

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
IMO Ball's shot looks a lot like vintage Ason Kidd.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hahaha! Props for the self awareness. We could all use a bit more of it from time to time. :)

I think the big takeaway is the Suns have a lot of really intriguing end-of-the-bench prospects and not a lot of room for those guys. Intrigued to see how it all plays out.

I accepted the name "Poop Head" and have an avatar that is a cartoon version of me that is wearing a poo emoji as a crown, I try not to take things too seriously.
:cheers:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Really? My recollection of his shooting form is that it was way more solid from a mechanics stand point than Ball's.

Definitely not that weird thing he does with his elbow. It's the way he flings it up there with his arm instead of his wrist.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bench Question:
with the Suns timeline pushed up and us, hopefully, replacing all the starter spots alongside Booker & JJ,
who would make up a good bench at a workable payroll?

we know that most of our starters the last half of the season are to be thanked for the worst record and #1 pick
but would they be adequate 2nd string players?

unlike others, i've lost faith in TJ as a starter and that Chriss and Bender still have starter potential
but i didn't see enough of the games towards the end of the season to judge whether they're worthy backup.
the worst defense in the league label is most concerning so i lean towards replacing them with other role players

i'd actually consider Len as a backup if he was cheap and Troy Daniels as a 3 point threat when the defense is focused on Ayton and Booker.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I want to see what Igor can do with Bender. I still believe Bender can be a solid NBA player if he stops being passive. I am a big Warren fan, but I don't see how he doesn't get traded now.

OP
OP
S

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Warren could be a great off the bench microwave guy, if he's willing to accept that role. I get the sense he's not though, but that's not based on any facts.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Bench Question:
with the Suns timeline pushed up and us, hopefully, replacing all the starter spots alongside Booker & JJ,

we know that most of our starters the last half of the season are to be thanked for the worst record and #1 pick

unlike others, i've lost faith in TJ as a starter and that Chriss and Bender still have starter potential
but i didn't see enough of the games towards the end of the season to judge whether they're worthy backup.
the worst defense in the league label is most concerning so i lean towards replacing them with other role players

i'd actually consider Len as a backup if he was cheap and Troy Daniels as a 3 point threat when the defense is focused on Ayton and Booker.

Suns shouldn’t have a problem finding 3 or 4 bench players to round out the rotation. They had about 12 of them last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bench Question:

When McDonough talked about spending money in free agency to strengthen the team he likened it to a pie. The Suns could have one large slice, two smaller slices or maybe have three slices. I think we will see how the Suns feel about the roster when free agency and trades begin.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I had Reed marked as a terrific bench guy but he just looked so bad when Triano did put him on the floor at season's end. It could be that he was rushed back too early, but it's also possible he's cooked. I complained all year about Triano giving Peters scant minutes but even so I hope we bring him back. I didn't complain much about Harrison because the season was almost over before I had any idea he could defend so well - and he ran the team okay, too. Ulis' injury or something turned him into a much worse player, though he did come back a fair amount. Jackson was the only one that showed enough progress to get excited about and he's not likely to come off the bench much.
If Reed returns to form, him, Harrison and Bridges will give us a very good defensive backcourt off the bench and pretty good O, too. In truth, for all his failings, Len was our best front court player last year. I think McD is done with him and the sentiment here is right in line with that.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Not drinking the Knight Koolaid. It would be very Suns-ish to take two steps forward by killing the draft then one step back in the development of the players. I’m not a fan of Payton or Smart but I would jump on the bandwagon if Knight or Booker running point is the alternative. With Knight and Okobo likely being on the roster I have a feeling McD will roll with what they’ve got.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker, TJ, JJ, Ayton, Mikal, Bender, Chriss, Elie. That 8 players even before we get to Tyson, Knight, Williams, and the bunch.

One problem with development is when you have too many players. Whatever vets we get better be good with letting the young uns play.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I suspect Elie, if he comes over this year, will spend very little time on the court outside of the D league.

I kinda hope he marinates for another season across the pond.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I suspect Elie, if he comes over this year, will spend very little time on the court outside of the D league.

I kinda hope he marinates for another season across the pond.
He is 20. He might be more ready to play than we think.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns plan is to play Okobo in some capacity... otherwise why bring him over now. I think the unproductive Bogdon stash still ways heavy in their memory.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think the Suns plan is to play Okobo in some capacity... otherwise why bring him over now. I think the unproductive Bogdon stash still ways heavy in their memory.

From what I gather, they see him as a guy who may be ready to come off the bench and contribute as a scorer right away. He's only been a point guard for a year, so he'll likely need a good amount of development time to learn how to actually run a team, but he may be able to add some scoring punch now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I gather, they see him as a guy who may be ready to come off the bench and contribute as a scorer right away. He's only been a point guard for a year, so he'll likely need a good amount of development time to learn how to actually run a team, but he may be able to add some scoring punch now.

I'm good with it, use his primary skill... shooting, while he learns the ropes as a PG.

Summer league should be fun as the Suns made some thoughtful and talented draft selections.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm good with it, use his primary skill... shooting, while he learns the ropes as a PG.

Summer league should be fun as the Suns made some thoughtful and talented draft selections.

indeed! The Summer Suns go 8 deep even if Bender, Chriss, Ulis, and Jackson don't play (although Jackson says he plans to play a game or two):

Elie Okobo/Shaq Harrison
Davon Reed/ George King
Mikal Bridges/ Danuel House
Alec Peters
Deandre Ayton

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
indeed! The Summer Suns go 8 deep even if Bender, Chriss, Ulis, and Jackson don't play (although Jackson says he plans to play a game or two):

Elie Okobo/Shaq Harrison
Davon Reed/ George King
Mikal Bridges/ Danuel House
Alec Peters
Deandre Ayton

Most importantly, Mike James won't be there!

Those are some very nice players. IIRC, didn't Josh Jackson say he is going.

Summer league championship here we come.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@ColdPickleNachos

Here is another eye test concerning the height of new Suns players.

You must be registered for see images attach

Next to Ayton, I'm thinking James Jones is the tallest. LOL