Current (post draft) Roster

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payton stinks.

They need a point who can shoot and distribute - he does neither well.

Payton has shooting issues but he can distribute the ball just fine and get to the rim. The Suns could do much worse but I don't have any idea if Payton is in their plans. IMO, he can play much better than he played at the tail end of last season.

Last edited:

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't really know if you can judge Payton's performance in tank season last year. Short of getting a Kemba Walker, who else is out there?

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Anyone who seriously wants Ball on the Suns needs to spend ten minutes watching a game footage montage of his shot. Don't do it on a full stomach.

Watching his Court Vision he could get Ayton destroying people inside

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You guys need to let go of Payton. He has like a $9 million cap hold. If we are going to be players in free agency like everyone wants, he has to be renounced. There is no way around it.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That may be, but (a) I can't believe that there aren't other players in the NBA who have overcome the same issue, and (b) his form is the main problem, and that's not due to subtleties of aiming.

I think this is from Arnovitzs article. He mentioned Durant’s weird form was a result of the same phenomenon.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Lakers have told LiAngelo Ball that he won't be on their Summer League team. They apparently say there was "more to it than basketball". If that doesn't scream that they are having problems with the Ball family, I don't know what does. Do we want that?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think this is from Arnovitzs article. He mentioned Durant’s weird form was a result of the same phenomenon.

I'm sorry, but anyone who compares Durant's shooting form to Ball's has no credibility at all.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/PHO.html

Weird, it says Shaq's contract ends but elsewhere it's reported he has a multi-year deal. Peters is on a 2 way deal, not sure if it carries on this year?

Anyways, there's a lot of bodies on the team, so if there's any FA signings we'll have to shed some of them. Most obvious ones are Reed and Harrison (and I guess Peters if he's on the team).
He is on a multi year deal, but it is non-guaranteed this year and a club option next year.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-suns/shaquille-harrison-21066/

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone who seriously wants Ball on the Suns needs to spend ten minutes watching a game footage montage of his shot. Don't do it on a full stomach.

He could be a fantastic shooter and his father's mouth would make me stop watching the Suns or have anything to do with them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You guys need to let go of Payton. He has like a $9 million cap hold. If we are going to be players in free agency like everyone wants, he has to be renounced. There is no way around it.

If they can sign him to a deal quickly his cap hold isn't an issue. It's not an issue until they find somewhere else to spend the money. So he'll be kept around until we find someone else to bring in. I'd put the odds at retaining him around 60/40 in favor of keeping him, mainly because I don't know where else we'd be spending that money. Even if his cap hold is $9 million, that's ok because they'd have close to $12-13 million to spend while he's just sitting there and hoping for a deal. We could make a "take it or leave it" offer of 3 years for $20 million, tying him in at a little under $7 million a year, and if he won't take it then we'll renounce his rights and move on.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How can we have a cap issue when all of our starters are on their rookie contracts? Chandler? Big deal. Payton?

This is the point, finally, when we can start to assemble a contending roster. A few years for the youngsters to get the game figured out, but that times well with
the Warriors decline and Lebron aging out. We need at least one reliable, mature, floor general PG to get these guys going. That really has to be the entire focus of the free agency/trade offseason. We'd be set to grow well after that. Knight and Payton seem to me to be a good pair of backup guards, not your 4 star generals.

A working frontcourt of Ayton, Jackson, Bridges, Bender, Chriss, and Williams would be okay to move forward this season on the youthful 10-deep. Get them some floor time, don't expect too much other than conspicuous growth, and see who sticks. It's so hard drafting these kids at 18/19. Patience is not a virtue most fans possess. Even going into their third year, some of these guys still can't even buy a beer.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watching his Court Vision he could get Ayton destroying people inside

Yes he has great court vision dude but that's it. That's really it. You can't ignore the fact you can't even have your PG in at the end of games

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What does anyone know about Okobo? He's the possible hidden gem of the night. Could he be a useful starter eventually?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From that ESPN article that @Bufalay posted about Ball, I think this is a fairly accurate assessment by one of the GM's who scouted Ball for the 2017 draft...

I agree with that take but Rubio has always been a good defender. He's developed a shot also but that only just happened so it wasn't in play when the comparison was made. Since Ball can't shoot, I wonder if D'Antoni would be able to turn him into a star PG or not. I'm thinking not but he may be the ideal backup in a D'Antoni system since he could do a good job pushing the floor while the primary ballhandler/on court orchestrator is resting.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK. If we are looking for a pg, let's look at real names.

Brandon Knight--he is an option, and he is already here.
Elfrid Payton--Hoopshype still lists him as the #3 free agent pg and we control him.
IT--Not the type of pg this team needs.
Rondo--interesting, but he wants to stay in NO and they want him.
Lowry--Good pg. Might be available for trade. The cost might be too high.
Kemba. High price and not the right fit.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
OK. If we are looking for a pg, let's look at real names.

Brandon Knight--he is an option, and he is already here.
Elfrid Payton--Hoopshype still lists him as the #3 free agent pg and we control him.
IT--Not the type of pg this team needs.
Rondo--interesting, but he wants to stay in NO and they want him.
Lowry--Good pg. Might be available for trade. The cost might be too high.
Kemba. High price and not the right fit.

Shroder should be available since they just got Young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shroder should be available since they just got Young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK. He will be. But I do not want him. Never liked him as a player.

You also might be able to get Exum, Smart, maybe Rozier. If you really want a hold down the fort pg that would work well with the coach and be a mentor while Okobo develops, it might be, er, hate to say it., Dragic.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Something to monitor over Summer League...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Something to monitor over Summer League...

That really isn't much news outside of King being on a Two-Way deal. We have 2 of those available and Peters had one last year while Danuel House had the other. So House was let go at seasons end, leaving Peters and House to contend for the 1 remaining Two-Way contract, or they could make the main roster. If they don't, they'll be let go, obviously.

I'm not a fan of how "insiders" try to stretch out tweets like that, making it appear there is more info than there really is. "King is on a Two-Way deal, we have one more Two-Way deal we can sign someone to." - That's all that needs to be said.

That other could be Harrison or Peters, it could be Reed. It could be someone from the Summer League team also. There are a lot of options.

Edit - I'm just griping over nothing. It's carried over from complaining about Gambo yesterday. I acknowledge this and apologize.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Edit - I'm just griping over nothing. It's carried over from complaining about Gambo yesterday. I acknowledge this and apologize.

Hahaha! Props for the self awareness. We could all use a bit more of it from time to time. :)

I think the big takeaway is the Suns have a lot of really intriguing end-of-the-bench prospects and not a lot of room for those guys. Intrigued to see how it all plays out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That really isn't much news outside of King being on a Two-Way deal. We have 2 of those available and Peters had one last year while Danuel House had the other. So House was let go at seasons end, leaving Peters and House to contend for the 1 remaining Two-Way contract, or they could make the main roster. If they don't, they'll be let go, obviously.

I'm not a fan of how "insiders" try to stretch out tweets like that, making it appear there is more info than there really is. "King is on a Two-Way deal, we have one more Two-Way deal we can sign someone to." - That's all that needs to be said.

That other could be Harrison or Peters, it could be Reed. It could be someone from the Summer League team also. There are a lot of options.

I never considered Evan Sidery an insider. I go to Gambo for inside information. :lmao:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson