Cardiac Cards vs. the Cash Cards

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Aside; I call them Cash Cards because they look like money to me.

As an old guy I keep getting requests to compare the current version of the team to the 1974-1975 Cards. To me the biggest similarity is the coaching. BA & Coryell are very similar in game philosophy. They both liked to go deep & stretch the field. Aside from that the team's really were not very much alike except they often had to win by scoring continually.

From my perspective the current team is much better. For starters it has far more weapons. The Cardiac boys really had one impact runner, one big threat receiver and an outstanding tight end. Beyond that the skilled positions were manned by role players. The receiver was Mel Gray. Keep in mind it was a 14 game season, still he never broke 1000 yards. He did, however, average nearly 20 yards a catch. Hall-of-Famer Jackie Smith was the tight end. He really personified the proper balance between receiving and blocking. One of the biggest offensive threats in Cards' history was running back Terry Metcalf. So much so that Alex Karass of the Monday Night Football broadcast team named Metcalf his league MVP.

Far more than just a runner in both years he returned kicks for 90+ yard TDs. He'd catch 40 + passes a season and rush for nearly 800 yards. He was easily the biggest offensive threat in the league.

The group's QB was Jim Hart. While not possessing the power arm of Palmer, he was a solid field general who rarely made fatal mistakes.

The real strength of the offense was the line. It was far superior to the Cards current version. Mean and ultra aggressive they seldom gave up sacks and were a short yardage force. They also had a fullback, Jim Otis, who as far as I can remember, was never tackled for a loss. He was the ultimate short yardage weapon. Add in a fine kicker in Jim Bakken and you had the best offense in the NFL.

Sadly the defense never matched the offense. They had some good secondary players, like Wehrli and Thompson, but little else. The front 7 was atrocious. Coryell begged Dollar Bill for help, but none was forthcoming. Look at the draft picks and their careers if you want a good laugh. Bidwill crony George Boone made the picks. He was likely the worst talent evaluator in the history of the NFL. Couple that with Bidwill's insistence to only take players who would negotiate contracts before the draft and you had a disaster of Biblical proportions. The NFL later changed the rules to prevent that practice specifically because of Bidwill.

Today's team has an unimaginable number of offensive weapons, though the line has issues. They have a potentially dominant QB. The defense has outstanding players on the line and likely the deepest secondary in the league. The current team simply has much more talent. The Cardiac Cards were a couple of impact defensive players from contending for a championship. The current incarnation has enough to contend. Still the proof is in the winning. One thing for sure, both teams were great fun to watch.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Wow Harry, thanks for the trip down memory lane. Memories like yours are truly a treasure here on this board, and are also something to be extremely happy for on this Thanksgiving weekend. I had completely forgotten about the habit of drafting only players who would negotiate before the draft and the resulting league intervention to stop that habit. I do remember the frugality of 'Dollar Bill' though, and that did not change until he finally turned operations over to Michael. Even then it was a fight to mitigate the influence of Rod Graves until Michael could manage to have him removed and replaced by Keim. The names Baaken, Otis, Werhli, Thompson, Metcalf, Gray, Smith, and Hart all bring smiles to my face----and even the infamous Boone does today, but he sure didn't then. Thanks for the memories.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks for this Harry.

I knew Dollar Bill was the reason we sucked for decades and got lucky once in awhile with a winning season or two but didn't know about his not drafting players unless they negotiated the contract before he would draft them.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice write up Harry!

Mel Gray was my WR coach in high school back in the late 80s. He had a bunch of weird jobs back then. Obviously NFL contracts were not even close to what they are now. Not to mention that Bill Bidwill was a cheap ass.

Here is a recent article on him in which he discussed Bill Bidwills cheapness:

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/2292648-181/mel-gray-montgomerys-best-ever

He (Gray) was taken in the sixth round of the 1971 draft, the 147th pick.
"So what kind of salary are you asking for?" the Cardinals asked him during negotiations.

"I wrote down $1 million and slid the piece of paper across the table," Gray said.

The Cardinal guys laughed.

"How much can you pay me?" Gray asked.

The negotiator slid another piece of paper across the table.

"Thirteen thousand?" Gray replied. "Then I started to laugh. I can make that at the bookstore. We settled at $21,000. They asked me to sign three more pieces of paper. Like a naive kid, I did. I didn't look at what I was signing. And I didn't have an agent."

The three pieces of paper had his salary for the next three years: $17,000, $18,500, $19,500.

Gray was furious. He felt scammed. Bill Bidwill, the owner, promised Gray that his contract would be re-renegotiated if he was the Cardinals' Rookie of the Year.

Gray, as it turned out, was. Bidwill, however, said his hands were tied, he couldn't re-do the numbers. Thus began a contentious relationship with the owner that lasted Gray's 12 years with the Cardinals, not an uncommon player experience by the way.

Man does that sound familiar... Anquan Boldin. Although it's kind of ironic that Bidwill was promised a new stadium if he moved to Arizona and it took 2 decades before one was built. Karma

I to this day can't believe that I got to learn from one of the greats. I remember he wasn't a very big guy. However his hands were enormous. I have really big hands and I distinctly remember his engulfed mine when we shook hands.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As an old-time Cardinal fan, I appreciate your input here & very much agree with it. The BA version of the Cardinals is a better all around team than the Coryell teams from 74-76. People forget that the 76 team went 10-4, but missed out on the playoffs.
The Cardiac Cards of the 70's actually had fewer 1st downs than their opponents did during that stretch when they went 10-4, 11-3, and 10-4. That's a pretty remarkable stat. Metcalf, Gray, & Hart were big chunk, big play, stars. Those Cardinals seldom had 12 play drives, which explains why their opponents garnered more 1st down than we did. The OL was perhaps the best OL in NFL history, definitely better than the current group. Metcalf was the epitome of a home run hitter, both as a runner, receiver & kick returner. Unfortunately, he fumbled routinely, especially when it counted. Still better than anyone on our current roster. Mel Gray was small, but he was a big time player. He had speed, was savvy, & made the incredible catch when the game was on the line. Jim Hart wasn't as tall as CP, but was similar in their approach. They took risks, suffered INT's, but always made enough plays to win. Let's not forget how clutch Jim Bakken was. With the game on the line, he was gold.

The 70's D was up & down, but couldn't be trusted. Larry Stallings was a decent LB, with Wehrli & Thompson being solid on the back side. If we didn't score at least 28, we were in trouble. All n all, the current version of the Cardinals has far more weapons on both sides of the ball. I'd even give BA the edge over Coryell, because BA definitely interacts with the WHOLE team more than Coryell did. Coryell very seldom crossed the aisle to get involved with the D.

Enjoy this ride folks. As a 50+ year Cardinal fan, this is as good as it has EVER been.

Reaction score

As an old guy I keep getting requests to compare the current version of the team to the 1974-1975 Cards. To me the biggest similarity is the coaching. BA & Coryell are very similar in game philosophy. They both liked to go deep & stretch the field. Aside from that the team's really were not very much alike except they often had to win by scoring continually.

From my perspective the current team is much better. For starters it has far more weapons. The Cardiac boys really had one impact runner, one big threat receiver and an outstanding tight end. Beyond that the skilled positions were manned by role players. The receiver was Mel Gray. Keep in mind it was a 14 game season, still he never broke 1000 yards. He did, however, average nearly 20 yards a catch. Hall-of-Famer Jackie Smith was the tight end. He really personified the proper balance between receiving and blocking. One of the biggest offensive threats in Cards' history was running back Terry Metcalf. So much so that Alex Karass of the Monday Night Football broadcast team named Metcalf his league MVP.

Far more than just a runner in both years he returned kicks for 90+ yard TDs. He'd catch 40 + passes a season and rush for nearly 800 yards. He was easily the biggest offensive threat in the league.

The group's QB was Jim Hart. While not possessing the power arm of Palmer, he was a solid field general who rarely made fatal mistakes.

The real strength of the offense was the line. It was far superior to the Cards current version. Mean and ultra aggressive they seldom gave up sacks and were a short yardage force. They also had a fullback, Jim Otis, who as far as I can remember, was never tackled for a loss. He was the ultimate short yardage weapon. Add in a fine kicker in Jim Bakken and you had the best offense in the NFL.

Sadly the defense never matched the offense. They had some good secondary players, like Wehrli and Thompson, but little else. The front 7 was atrocious. Coryell begged Dollar Bill for help, but none was forthcoming. Look at the draft picks and their careers if you want a good laugh. Bidwill crony George Boone made the picks. He was likely the worst talent evaluator in the history of the NFL. Couple that with Bidwill's insistence to only take players who would negotiate contracts before the draft and you had a disaster of Biblical proportions. The NFL later changed the rules to prevent that practice specifically because of Bidwill.

Today's team has an unimaginable number of offensive weapons, though the line has issues. They have a potentially dominant QB. The defense has outstanding players on the line and likely the deepest secondary in the league. The current team simply has much more talent. The Cardiac Cards were a couple of impact defensive players from contending for a championship. The current incarnation has enough to contend. Still the proof is in the winning. One thing for sure, both teams were great fun to watch.

Great read. Thank you Harry.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Enjoyed the post, we'll done.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice write up Harry!

Mel Gray was my WR coach in high school back in the late 80s. He had a bunch of weird jobs back then. Obviously NFL contracts were not even close to what they are now. Not to mention that Bill Bidwill was a cheap ass.

Here is a recent article on him in which he discussed Bill Bidwills cheapness:

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/2292648-181/mel-gray-montgomerys-best-ever

Man does that sound familiar... Anquan Boldin. Although it's kind of ironic that Bidwill was promised a new stadium if he moved to Arizona and it took 2 decades before one was built. Karma

I to this day can't believe that I got to learn from one of the greats. I remember he wasn't a very big guy. However his hands were enormous. I have really big hands and I distinctly remember his engulfed mine when we shook hands.

To me the key moment in turning around this franchise when the stadium finally was approved to be built. That whole stadium campaign was Mike Bidwill's baby. I remember being at the groundbreaking ceremony and thinking I was seeing history when Bill handed Mike the shovel.

Ever since then, Mike has been in charge and he hired the people here to make this a truly good NFL franchise. One of the first things he did was to hire Dennis Green. I know Green's teams were a severe disappointment. But he was the guy who drafted some of our greatest players and convinced Kurt Warner to play here. And Green changed how we evaluated drafts and that was HUGE.

To show how far we've come:

I remember playing the Bengals in SDS and there was one of the smallest crowds ever for a modern NFL game. It was about 21 or 23 thousand in attendance. We won, but of course almost nobody saw it on TV as it was blacked out locally and shown only in the Cincy area.

Contrast that to this past Sunday, and it boggles the mind. The stadium was packed and even the CLUB SEATS were almost all full. Which I've only seen in playoff games. Literally tens of millions of people watching that game and we were very entertaining to watch.

Well, I'm rambling.. later :wave:

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was Bakken who gave Metcalf the nickname "The Franchise"

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh how I wish this team had the 75 team's offensive line. Jim Hart was sacked something like 7 times that season.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The Jim Hart / Terry Metcalf / Mel Gray era was my formative years as a Cards fan back in St Louis

Dan Diefdorf was the left tackle. Conrad Dobler a guard. Ernie McMillan the other tackle.

Such a fun offensive team.

Here was the thing about George Boone: his draft choices either worked spectacularly, or failed spectacularly.

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

What a ride down memory lane--yet this post makes me realize how old I am. I remember every bit of this. I guess I should be happy I can still remember it. :D

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Great memories, Harry!

Remember the snowy playoff game at Minnesota? So frustrating, but so exciting that the Cardinals were in the playoffs.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great trip down memory lane for me also. However, at that time I was living in San Francisco and a 49er fan.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Holy crap Terry was good!!!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Holy crap Terry was good!!!

#21 was Barry Sanders before Sanders. The problem was he was smaller, fumbled wayyyy to much & had drug issues. Awesome player for anyone who wasn't fortunate enough to not see him play.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Btw Harry thanks for bringing up the comparison. The walk down memory lane brings back the thoughts of those Hart to Gray bombs at sunny Busvh Stadium against the hated Cowpies :thumbup:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Btw Harry thanks for bringing up the comparison. The walk down memory lane brings back the thoughts of those Hart to Gray bombs at sunny Busvh Stadium against the hated Cowpies :thumbup:

I luv my Terry Metcalf jersey... now refrain BB and don't make me feel bad about all the cool jerseys you own lol

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Oh how I wish this team had the 75 team's offensive line. Jim Hart was sacked something like 7 times that season.

We would be Super Bowl winners a few years in a row. Best line ever. Loved that line with Finnie, Young, Banks , Dobler and Dierdorf

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard