The Cards Sure Fooled Us

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Psychology Today wrote, “The notion that genius is only thinly separated from insanity goes back at least to ancient Greece.” It’s certainly a fine line and Sunday the Cards crossed it headed in the wrong direction. First, they ran a continuing set of failed plays that offered virtually no chance of success. Foremost among those plays was the continually parade of passes far short of a first down depending on the receiver to run for the first. It’s one thing to try this with an elusive runner, but another to try it with a TE. Ertz, for example, has virtually zero YAC ability at this stage of his career. Of course, he also has to catch the ball.

Second, there was the gimmick play. This might have been the ultimate gimmick play. There was so much ball movement and player misdirection that even the participating players seemed confused. The defense on the other hand just stayed home and tackled the eventual ball carrier who was so exhausted he offered little resistance. It was the ultimate anti-climax.

Finally, there’s the fake punt. I guess it’s okay to call it that even though it doesn’t really coincide with the dictionary’s concept of “fake.“ Apparently the coaching staff was so confident of success that they didn’t instruct rookie QB Tune to call timeout if the receivers were covered. To further assure success they decided to throw a short pass expecting the receiver to run for the first down. It’s astonishing it failed to work.

Indeed, the Cards fooled us. Sadly they just failed to food the Seahawks!

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Continuing to take bad penalties and add in some ridiculous play calls. Coaching staff has lots of work to do.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i think the first few games gave us hope that the offense was going to be competent enough to make up for a bad defense and win some games

but clearly --

losing Connor has hurt
teams are catching up to what Dobbs can do and cant
teams are catching up some to what Petzing wants to do

we are watching a week-by-week demonstration that playing hard plus some inventive schemes can keep you in games, but eventually talent prevails.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nailed it Harry. The fake punt is one of the worst play calls I have seen and that is saying a lot after Kingsbury.
I don’t understand calling two fake punts this year without having a punter even on the field either time. We barely got it the first time and there was no chance in hell we were getting it yesterday.

But also, why didn’t Gannon recognize that the Hawks weren’t fooled in the least and call a timeout to avoid that awful play?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand calling two fake punts this year without having a punter even on the field either time.
Pretty sure there was a punter on the field for the play. Wasn't the punter Gillikin at the top of the formation?

We barely got it the first time and there was no chance in hell we were getting it yesterday.

But also, why didn’t Gannon recognize that the Hawks weren’t fooled in the least and call a timeout to avoid that awful play?
I'm going out on the limb, but I actually kinda liked the play. It was clear they were trying to hide Tune in the backfield. If they would have lined it up and snapped it quickly, they would have had a better chance.

Plus, all of the defense shifted to Wilson's side. If anything, they should have isolated Wilson 1:1 at the top. Tune even tipped his hand before the snap looking to the right, and threw right immediately. Poor execution.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Psychology Today wrote, “The notion that genius is only thinly separated from insanity goes back at least to ancient Greece.” It’s certainly a fine line and Sunday the Cards crossed it headed in the wrong direction. First, they ran a continuing set of failed plays that offered virtually no chance of success. Foremost among those plays was the continually parade of passes far short of a first down depending on the receiver to run for the first. It’s one thing to try this with an elusive runner, but another to try it with a TE. Ertz, for example, has virtually zero YAC ability at this stage of his career. Of course, he also has to catch the ball.

Second, there was the gimmick play. This might have been the ultimate gimmick play. There was so much ball movement and player misdirection that even the participating players seemed confused. The defense on the other hand just stayed home and tackled the eventual ball carrier who was so exhausted he offered little resistance. It was the ultimate anti-climax.

Finally, there’s the fake punt. I guess it’s okay to call it that even though it doesn’t really coincide with the dictionary’s concept of “fake.“ Apparently the coaching staff was so confident of success that they didn’t instruct rookie QB Tune to call timeout if the receivers were covered. To further assure success they decided to throw a short pass expecting the receiver to run for the first down. It’s astonishing it failed to work.

Indeed, the Cards fooled us. Sadly they just failed to food the Seahawks!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm still scratching my head at why anyone thinks Tune deserves a shot.

Tune was not that good at all in preseason.
I never saw or heard of the Chicago QB, until yesterday. And we now have a QB who has completed every pass he's thrown in the NFL. On a serious note, we might catch lightening in a bottle. We're going nowhere with Dobbs, so what do we have to lose. And if Tune starts and doesn't play well, there will be a lot less pressure on Dobbs coming off the bench.

And Tune wasn't terrible, imo, in the PS.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I never saw or heard of the Chicago QB, until yesterday. And we now have a QB who has completed every pass he's thrown in the NFL. On a serious note, we might catch lightening in a bottle. We're going nowhere with Dobbs, so what do we have to lose. And if Tune starts and doesn't play well, there will be a lot less pressure on Dobbs coming off the bench.

And Tune wasn't terrible, imo, in the PS.
He wasn't good. I'd rather look at him later with more NFL time, not now.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Geeez they ae really bad and actually looks like they are getting worse. No enjoyment watching them especially in the 2nd half of these games. I guess Gannon doesn't know hat it means to make half time adjustments.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson