Bridges and our o line

TEAMPETE

Rookie
Reaction score
Ok guys i have a question. All week I have been thinking about how bridges would be the starting at LT after never playing left tackle and how we supposedly have the deepest oline whiz has ever seen in his coaching day (atleast depper than Pitt ever was). What baffles me is that we picked bridges off he street midway through the year. Is he that good? Did we find a diamond in the rough or did our TE's and stacking of the line make brides look good. I am just baffled how we didnt play one of our young stud lineman that everyone talks about. Dont ge me wrong im real happy about the game but I am just curious about our future.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Bridges was on the team a couple years ago, not sure how things have changed since then. I don't know that he is a diamond per se, but he looked pretty damned good tonight. He was even jawing at Allen which I liked. He was refreshing at the LT position, that's for sure. I don't think Gandy should see the starting lineup until Bridges plays worse, but who knows what's going on behind the scenes.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Tonight's game illustrated how we SHOULD have handled the ends for Indy.

Great chipping all night by Hightower and the TE's.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Bridges wasn't left alone on an island like Gandy always seems to be. We had a RB or TE always chipping on Allen. We did this a lot last year and I've often wondered why we haven't done it more last year. This protection let us take more chances down field, something we haven't seen much this year either.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Bridges played good but our coaches finally for the first time this season adjusted to a defense. We had someone chipping at Jared Allen all game. Guess what happened, Kurt got to stay upright and not get the crap knocked out of him. The coaching staff did a great job and the O-line also did a very good job. Levi Brown and Duece Lutui have become solid on the right side and Sendlein has become a good center. This team can go after a left tackle either in the draft or free agency and have a good offensive line. I am very happpy how much better our line has become this year.

At the beginning of the year I would have said we need at least 3 new starters on the line. After the last two games I would be happy with one new starter for next year.

Reaction score
Ok guys i have a question. All week I have been thinking about how bridges would be the starting at LT after never playing left tackle and how we supposedly have the deepest oline whiz has ever seen in his coaching day (atleast depper than Pitt ever was). What baffles me is that we picked bridges off he street midway through the year. Is he that good? Did we find a diamond in the rough or did our TE's and stacking of the line make brides look good. I am just baffled how we didnt play one of our young stud lineman that everyone talks about. Dont ge me wrong im real happy about the game but I am just curious about our future.
Make no mistake the game plan definitely helped to take Minny's pass rush out of the game.

But in response to TEAMPETE's question: I think what it shows is the when it comes to O-Line play journeyman experience trumps young talent!

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A couple of things come to mind .

1. Did Whiz realize just now valuable Warner was last week and decide not to expose him to the ferocious rush from the Vikings?

2. Bridges was the starting tackle for Carolina last year and they had a mighty fine record as memory serves me. So there must have been something going on that people are not aware of is why is was available later.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good question i would like to know myself. Does anybody know what pick he was drafted? anything?

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I really hope the coaching staff sees how this offense could still respond and get Kurt that sort of help for the rest of the season.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good question i would like to know myself. Does anybody know what pick he was drafted? anything?

Drafted 2003 in the 6th round by the Eagles. Cut by the Eagles and picked up by the Cardinals in 2004. Played for the Cardinals from 2004-2006.

Reaction score
A couple of things come to mind .

2. Bridges was the starting tackle for Carolina last year and they had a mighty fine record as memory serves me. So there must have been something going on that people are not aware of is why is was available later.
Without looking it up; yep I'm gonna be lazy this time: I think that Jordan Gross, the Panthers normal starting tackle was out for the 2008 season with injury. My guess is with him healthy Bridges was squeezed out for younger developmental players.

jaguarpaw81

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am just baffled how we didnt play one of our young stud lineman that everyone talks about. Dont ge me wrong im real happy about the game but I am just curious about our future.

We don't have any young stud LT's waiting in the wings. Our young LT was Vallejo and he got hurt and is gone. Keith and Johnson both project as guards/RTs as neither have the feet to play on the left side. I will be shocked if the team doesn't go LT and LB in the first 2 rounds come April. Quite honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see our first 4-5 picks go to the O-line and LB corps. We are in desperate need of a new center as well.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
What baffles me is that we picked bridges off he street midway through the year.

He was picked up before the season started right after the 4th preseason game. Its doesnt say anything about the young guys talent, all we found out was that a full preseason we found out the rookie and 2nd year player just werent ready, which is true of most rookies.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
We are in desperate need of a new center as well.

?????

You are going to have to explain that one. Lyle has and is still playing very well and very consistently.

I also would not be surprised to see one of Gandy or Bridges to be re-signed. Meaning a top 2 round rookie LT wouldnt even be starting anyways. Just like all other rookies under Wiz, Minus Levi who was thrust into the starting roll right out of the gate because of injury.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
?????

You are going to have to explain that one. Lyle has and is still playing very well and very consistently.

I also would not be surprised to see one of Gandy or Bridges to be re-signed. Meaning a top 2 round rookie LT wouldnt even be starting anyways. Just like all other rookies under Wiz, Minus Levi who was thrust into the starting roll right out of the gate because of injury.

If I were guessing right now, I'd say the top Cardinal offseason priority would be a 3-down middle linebacker to step in for Karlos Dansby. Somebody like Houston's Brian Cushing who never leaves the field.

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
Bridges played great, makes Grimm look bad for sitting him and playing Gandy, we should be getting a new OLine coach pretty soon...Wonder how good Keith and johnson are...Listening, Levi? wonder how good a Guard Levi would make?

rode kardinaal

Registered
Reaction score
It wasn't just THT helping out, Wells and a TE helped Bridges out a lot too. It worked this game, but you can't do it like this on a consistent basis, team will start gameplanning for it. Then again, we won't be playing Jared Allen every week.

cardfan

Registered
Reaction score
We don't have any young stud LT's waiting in the wings. Our young LT was Vallejo and he got hurt and is gone. Keith and Johnson both project as guards/RTs as neither have the feet to play on the left side. I will be shocked if the team doesn't go LT and LB in the first 2 rounds come April. Quite honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see our first 4-5 picks go to the O-line and LB corps. We are in desperate need of a new center as well.

Vallejo could be picked up right now--he's healthy and ready to sign with a team that wants him.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges played great, makes Grimm look bad for sitting him and playing Gandy, we should be getting a new OLine coach pretty soon...Wonder how good Keith and johnson are...Listening, Levi? wonder how good a Guard Levi would make?

Gandy was injured. How exactly does this make Grimm look bad?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Tonight's game illustrated how we SHOULD have handled the ends for Indy.

Great chipping all night by Hightower and the TE's.

Ding Ding Ding!

Bridges might not be better then Gandy but with him in there Wiz for one reason or another does the smart thing and keeps elite DE's at bay by chipping with RB's and TE's.

By the way I am LOVING the blocking by Becht too. That guy goes totally unnoticed but is a GAM for sure. Great signing and being used in the right way too.

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
Bridges looked better than gandy has all year, THATS why Grimm looks bad for not getting JB in there earlier

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges looked better than gandy has all year, THATS why Grimm looks bad for not getting JB in there earlier

Bridges had help most of the game, Gandy is always going one on one. Now sure how Bridges played better based on that. Also, this was one of our worst rushing games in a few games. How does that made Grimm look bad?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not sure I understand your logic. If one player plays better than another in a situation, let's blame the coach. Is that what you are trying to say?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard