2022 Off-Season Changes

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You do know KM had plenty of time in the pocket and actually had a pocket to step up into last night, right? The OL had its rough moments, but KM was pretty much at fault for all of those sacks. You give Mahomes that kind of time (the Steelers pressured him a lot) and he will crucify you.

OP
OP
D

DaHilg

Veteran
Reaction score
You do know KM had plenty of time in the pocket and actually had a pocket to step up into last night, right? The OL had its rough moments, but KM was pretty much at fault for all of those sacks. You give Mahomes that kind of time (the Steelers pressured him a lot) and he will crucify you.
No, i do not believe had plenty of time the vast majority of time in the pocket. He DID in fact hold on to the ball a number of times, he played like crap was rattled. I do NOT expect him to step up into the pocket and get absolutely crushed. All areas of the pocket were completely collapsing.. far more often than not there wasnt a pocket or lane to step up in. Its what happens when your guards suck and get pushed back.

No, i do not think any QB other then Rodgers or Brady would have succeeded last night. Not even Mahomes, he had better weapons in the super bowl last year and even he could not produce with similar offensive line. Kyler sucked last night period. Lots of quarterbacks would have perhaps sucked less, with only a few maybe being able to succeed with that line, those lack of weapons against that Rams defense.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We didnt have $100m in cap space last year. There certainly better ways to spend the ~$50mm i notes above than retaining Hump, Pugh and Hicks as starters. We know they dont work - or do you just want to repeat the same roster with the same results? Bring some substance with your debate.
We have 6M in cap space and 4-6 starters already set to be free agents. The only way that we could do what you want is if he had a lot of draft picks, and we used them well. We don't draft well, period.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murray was clearly at fault for the pick 6 (that was a horse collar tackle) but Hump got abused for a sack. Garcia did for another. Those are the only 3 I can remember at the moment but the line was at fault for 2 of those 3.

Stout

Reaction score
Murray was clearly at fault for the pick 6 (that was a horse collar tackle) but Hump got abused for a sack. Garcia did for another. Those are the only 3 I can remember at the moment but the line was at fault for 2 of those 3.
Are you thinking of the one he sat down on? Because he literally could have avoided it by stepping up in the pocket. He literally just gave up.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you thinking of the one he sat down on? Because he literally could have avoided it by stepping up in the pocket. He literally just gave up.
Which one, the Humphries or Garcia one? If it was the Humphries one, even if he steps up he gets sacked.

Stout

Reaction score
No, i do not believe had plenty of time the vast majority of time in the pocket. He DID in fact hold on to the ball a number of times, he played like crap was rattled. I do NOT expect him to step up into the pocket and get absolutely crushed. All areas of the pocket were completely collapsing.. far more often than not there wasnt a pocket or lane to step up in. Its what happens when your guards suck and get pushed back.

No, i do not think any QB other then Rodgers or Brady would have succeeded last night. Not even Mahomes, he had better weapons in the super bowl last year and even he could not produce with similar offensive line. Kyler sucked last night period. Lots of quarterbacks would have perhaps sucked less, with only a few maybe being able to succeed with that line, those lack of weapons against that Rams defense.
Yeah, you're wrong. You don't get a clean pocket and 5-8 seconds to play QB in this league. Mahomes got pressured as much as, if not more than, KM did, and look what he did. You might not see it the same way because he stepped up, made snap decisions, and made his OL look better. KM threw his OL under the bus.

And, btw, I ABSOLUTELY expect my QB to step up in the pocket and get "absolutely crushed" if he's completing an important pass. That's what real QBs do--take a hit to make a play for the freaking team.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't recall. The one where he just meekly sat down. Totally unnecessary.
I think he sat down twice, not sure which one it was either. I had to watch the stupid Mannings version of the game and I was jaded by the fact that I almost didn't get to watch the game at all. Probably would have been for the best...

OP
OP
D

DaHilg

Veteran
Reaction score
We have 6M in cap space and 4-6 starters already set to be free agents. The only way that we could do what you want is if he had a lot of draft picks, and we used them well. We don't draft well, period.
So every cap site I see shows we have between $16mm-$18mm...cut Pugh, Hump and Hicks with VERY limited dead money (not sure you understand that, that makes it easy for them to be cut) and you get another ~$31mm. You are looking at $50mm in open cap with those moves. VERY doable.

Again, we replaced how many starters with far less cap last year? Some players will be drafted, some players will be signed in free agents, some traded and a few may even be found on the current roster (I fully expect/hope Zavien Collins will start next year.. maybe there is another player that will emerge as a starter that's already on the roster). I would define a new starter as a player who started less than half of the games last year. To my count we had a total of 11 new starters in 2021.

I could VERY much see us with a similar starter turn-over in 2022.

Stout

Reaction score
I think he sat down twice, not sure which one it was either. I had to watch the stupid Mannings version of the game and I was jaded by the fact that I almost didn't get to watch the game at all. Probably would have been for the best...
Ha, how sad is it that we're wondering which bad sit-down sack we're each referencing?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So every cap site I see shows we have between $16mm-$18mm...cut Pugh, Hump and Hicks with VERY limited dead money (not sure you understand that, that makes it easy for them to be cut) and you get another ~$31mm. You are looking at $50mm in open cap with those moves. VERY doable.

Again, we replaced how many starters with far less cap last year? Some players will be drafted, some players will be signed in free agents, some traded and a few may even be found on the current roster (I fully expect/hope Zavien Collins will start next year.. maybe there is another player that will emerge as a starter that's already on the roster). I would define a new starter as a player who started less than half of the games last year. To my count we had a total of 11 new starters in 2021.

I could VERY much see us with a similar starter turn-over in 2022.
That 16-18 total is based off of a guess on what the cap will be next year. As far as I know, it hasn't been set yet.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha, how sad is it that we're wondering which bad sit-down sack we're each referencing?
I don't mind him protecting himself to prevent injury, but it is definitely not a good look, lol.

OP
OP
D

DaHilg

Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, you're wrong. You don't get a clean pocket and 5-8 seconds to play QB in this league. Mahomes got pressured as much as, if not more than, KM did, and look what he did. You might not see it the same way because he stepped up, made snap decisions, and made his OL look better. KM threw his OL under the bus.

And, btw, I ABSOLUTELY expect my QB to step up in the pocket and get "absolutely crushed" if he's completing an important pass. That's what real QBs do--take a hit to make a play for the freaking team.
We aren't going to agree on this subject. KM didn't throw is OL under the bus. When a QB doesn't have trust in his protection, has a lack of weapons at his disposal - I think you'd be hard pressed to find any QB willing to get crushed with no resemblance of confidence around him. I believe QB is willing to take those hits if he knows he is going to rewarded in doing so (a key play, first down, touchdown, etc). I'd rather not have my supposed franchise QB get crushed when the reward simply is not there.

AGAIN, I feel I have to preface anything before the "I hate Kyler blame him for everything gang" attacks me. KYLER played like crap!!! Just horrible. He should be embarrassed of his play. All I am saying is I don't believe any QB not named Rodgers or Brady wouldn't have sucked last night given the same Oline, same weapons and same coach. Others may have sucked less, but only a few would have succeed. Give Kyler what KC gave Mahomes this off-season... a offensive line. Then if he sucks, I'll join the "I hate Kyler blame him for everything gang"