Article: Matt Leinart now the guy, no matter what happens in camp

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The fact that San Diego got so much for a third string QB tells me Whitehurst was highly thought of. I'm just saying that if there is a QB in the draft that the Cardinals think they can develop they will go after him sooner than later rather than risk losing him. I'm just not sold that ML is the Cardinals QB of the future. Believe me, I hope I am wrong. If the Cardinals are not sold on ML as the future at QB (which they would not openly acknowledge) they would want to get another QB with upside in the pipeline as soon as possible. I bet San Diego wanted more than a third round pick from the Cardinals or they would have threatened to keep him.

Take into consideration the market for FA QBs. The pickings were slim as evidence by Seattle investing a lot to get a relatively unknown in RFA. At least the Cardinals were able to get away with an incentive laden contract with Anderson.

Ill tell you right now that I am unimpressed with how we have handled FA, especially on the defensive side of the ball. We have holes at both ILB and OLB and our response to that is Paris Lenon. This is why I think more than ever we need to keep our stockpile of picks to take BPA on defense if indeed that is what the FO is banking on doing.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I didn't read anything to support the

"No Matter what happens in camp" statement ?

Yes he is the guy now but he has to now deliver, if he doesn't there is still competition.

I haven't seen Wiz say this, in fact I remember seeing a comment along the lines of 'If Matt goes to 3 pr bowls, then we can talk about him as the anointed started"

Well, Whiz just stated that Matt is the starter. Also, the bolded was clarified in the media as a tongue-in-cheek comment, kind of a 'no duh' comment.

Yes, if Leinart looks like a complete bum in camp and Anderson looks good, I'm sure Whiz would go with Anderson. I think that, all things being equal, this isn't really a competition.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Whiz just stated that Matt is the starter. Also, the bolded was clarified in the media as a tongue-in-cheek comment, kind of a 'no duh' comment.

Yes, if Leinart looks like a complete bum in camp and Anderson looks good, I'm sure Whiz would go with Anderson. I think that, all things being equal, this isn't really a competition.

Wiz did suggest that if Matt didn't produce he wasn't a lock but the point here is Wiz guarantee's nobody its all based on production

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Wiz did suggest that if Matt didn't produce he wasn't a lock but the point here is Wiz guarantee's nobody its all based on production

Agreed that it's based on production, and I said if Matt plays like hot garbage he'll be benched. This just isn't a competition, though, like many people are trying to make it out to be. The job is Matt's, as of now.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Matt's not going to show up drunk or something at least I hope not.

He's fully aware it's .... or get off the pot time as is everyone else and that's fine, it has to be decided sometimes.

It'll work itself out but signing Anderson was great insurance, especially for injury, we couldn't go out there with just Matt and a couple scrubs.

Should be Matt, then Anderon then some rookie, very typical setup, the main guy gets the confidence until he shatters it, the games will decide and then if he does well they'll fix his contract up, as it should be, if not he's cut IMO.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I think if the Cardinals had signed Whitehurst, they would far be less concerned with QB in the draft.

based on...? Whitehurst never throwing a regular season pass? You have to be kidding me. Is your name Carnac?

Attachments

• carson.jpg
    carson.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 54

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I can hear it now, Anderson will light up some 2nd string defense in the preseason and there will be a ton of people calling his name...no matter how well Leinart plays. My guess is by halftime of the first preseason game we will have multiple threads titled somewhere along the lines of "Anderson should be our starting QB" or "Start Anderson now!"

I can't wait :sarcasm:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can hear it now, Anderson will light up some 2nd string defense in the preseason and there will be a ton of people calling his name...no matter how well Leinart plays. My guess is by halftime of the first preseason game we will have multiple threads titled somewhere along the lines of "Anderson should be our starting QB" or "Start Anderson now!"

I can't wait :sarcasm:

If Leinart plays like complete crap the threads will come. If he plays well they wont. Its as simple as that. No more or less. If he plays bad he will deserve whatever criticism he gets.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Leinart plays like complete crap the threads will come. If he plays well they wont. Its as simple as that. No more or less. If he plays bad he will deserve whatever criticism he gets.
+1

fireball.gif

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Matt will be the starter at first unless he totally blows it in the pre-season, while possible that's not likely.

If he can't beat out a guy like Anderson after having three more years in the system than the guy has then he don't deserve the job in the first place.

What many Matt bashers fail to realize IMO is that those of us who support him are fully aware reality says he at some time has to actually win some games.

I don't want to lose any more games than people who have no faith in Matt, my faith will only go so far, after that I'll lose it, and more importantly so will the coach.

I think of all of us the coach will be the most objective about it, weighing it in real my job is on the line terms, and I trust our coach, so if Matt never plays a down in the regular season, I'm ok with that, it's his job on the line and I trust him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn