Article: Matt Leinart now the guy, no matter what happens in camp

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matt Leinart now the guy, no matter what happens in camp

by Dan Bickley - Mar. 17, 2010 10:15 PM
The Arizona Republic .

Matt Leinart has changed for the better. Everyone says so. And while it's been two years since he's actually won a football game, the polarizing, pin-up quarterback just scored a huge victory.

He's won the trust of Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt.

"Matt's the starter," Whisenhunt said. "That's the way it's going to be."

The timing of such a testimonial might seem shocking to most bird watchers. It came shortly after Wednesday's signing of Derek Anderson, a former Pro Bowl quarterback with the Browns.

Rest of article: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/car...7/20100317leinart-derek-anderson-bickley.html

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
So much for the idea that Whiz doesn't have confidence in him.

I don't see it that way at all... IMHO, Matty is due a HUGE pay increase in 2011. The Cards simply MUST know in 2010 what they have in Matty. Whiz doesn't have any other choice but to start Matt. There is now way to justify sitting him this coming season. Unless of course he completely bombs in training camp - which is not entirely out of the question...

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see it that way at all... IMHO, Matty is due a HUGE pay increase in 2011. The Cards simply MUST know in 2010 what they have in Matty. Whiz doesn't have any other choice but to start Matt. There is now way to justify sitting him this coming season. Unless of course he completely bombs in training camp - which is not entirely out of the question...

And he could also come in and do a good solid job........................which is not entirely out of the question.Which as a Cardinal fan is what everyone should want IMO.:)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
And he could also come in and do a good solid job........................which is not entirely out of the question.Which as a Cardinal fan is what everyone should want IMO.:)

Of course, hence the reason why he MUST start in 2010...

:thumbup:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I think you're wrong. If Whiz didn't think Matt gave him the best chance to win, he'd give Anderson the job, or at least would have made it an open competition. If he didn't like Matt, I doubt Matt would still be on the roster come opening day. I think everyone likes to talk trash on Matt and point to a lack of votes of confidence from the team. Now, we KNOW he's the guy, and I think that means that Coach Whiz does have confidence in him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Leinart as the starting QB and Anderson as the backup, the priority for drafting a QB in the draft has just gone up. I think if the Cardinals had signed Whitehurst, they would far be less concerned with QB in the draft.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I think you're wrong. If Whiz didn't think Matt gave him the best chance to win, he'd give Anderson the job, or at least would have made it an open competition. If he didn't like Matt, I doubt Matt would still be on the roster come opening day. I think everyone likes to talk trash on Matt and point to a lack of votes of confidence from the team. Now, we KNOW he's the guy, and I think that means that Coach Whiz does have confidence in him.

Well said Stout.ZLet me ask you what do you think about Sean Lee LB from Penn State?The more i read about this guy the more it seems like he is a smart solid player.Since you are a PS fan could Lee be a fit for the Cards in Round 2 or 3?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Who said anything about Whiz not liking Matt??? I have no idea how Whiz feels about Matt. I would assume that simply by virtue of being on the team for the past 4 seasons and having the oppty to learn from a master like Warner, that Whiz would and should feel that Matt is the legit starter over a guy like Anderson... my god, if Whiz didn't feel this way we all should be extremely concerned at this stage!

My point was that regardless of who was brought in, Matt was going to be the starter - as it should be. And that his looming mega payout in 2011 is a HUGE reason why Matt has to start in 2010. But of course, we also have to believe that Whiz feels Matt is the legit starter on his own merit, the 2011 payout notwithstanding...

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
With Leinart as the starting QB and Anderson as the backup, the priority for drafting a QB in the draft has just gone up. I think if the Cardinals had signed Whitehurst, they would far be less concerned with QB in the draft.

Or not...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Dan Bickley hates Matt Leinart because Matty wouldn't give him an interview after he got drafted and Warner was willing to go on his show anytime. Bickley hates Matt because Matt talks to national outlets.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score

Not sure I understand the logic here. The only way your theory is true is if you think they are saying "ML is the guy for this year and ONLY this year nomatter what."

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Maybe... but I think that it means that the Cards are going to be able to develop a player on their own terms. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cards bring in 2 or 3 undrafted rookie free agents at the position. They should be able to attract some of the better prospects if they still have that hole at #3 or just bring BSP back.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Who said anything about Whiz not liking Matt??? I have no idea how Whiz feels about Matt. I would assume that simply by virtue of being on the team for the past 4 seasons and having the oppty to learn from a master like Warner, that Whiz would and should feel that Matt is the legit starter over a guy like Anderson... my god, if Whiz didn't feel this way we all should be extremely concerned at this stage!

My point was that regardless of who was brought in, Matt was going to be the starter - as it should be. And that his looming mega payout in 2011 is a HUGE reason why Matt has to start in 2010. But of course, we also have to believe that Whiz feels Matt is the legit starter on his own merit, the 2011 payout notwithstanding...

Oh, all right. When I read your post it sounded like you though Whiz would start him no matter what, but since you do think Whiz likes Matt at QB, it nullifies my argument with you. I thought you were saying that he didn't necessarily have confidence in Matt, but would start him because of the contract situation.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure I understand the logic here. The only way your theory is true is if you think they are saying "ML is the guy for this year and ONLY this year nomatter what."

I'm just thinking Whitehurst was the guy the Cardinals wanted but they didn't want to give up the draft picks for yet another unproven QB. However, I feel Leinart has become the starting QB by default irregardless of the spin. He does deserve the opportunity. I think the Cardinals will be hedging their bets for the future at QB because Anderson appears to be a backup and Leinart may not prove worthy as a starter. If so they would not want to pay him big money in 2011. That's why the Cardinals will be looking harder at QB than before.

Reaction score
Dan Bickley hates Matt Leinart because Matty wouldn't give him an interview after he got drafted and Warner was willing to go on his show anytime. Bickley hates Matt because Matt talks to national outlets.
So that's another BIG PLUS for Leinart!!!

:D

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

This is not true. After he got drafted, Bickley flew to Santa Ana and spent an entire day with him and his family. He has done many interviews w/ him over the years. It was different last season because he was critical of his garbage time performances.

TJ

Reaction score

I dont understand. Whitehurst has never started a game in his entire NFL career and is a complete enigma. Anderson at least had some success in the league and Matty knows the offense better than any active quarterback in the league.

Maybe next season the priority goes up if Matt fails, but it becomes an issue that can be addressed mid to late round now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe... but I think that it means that the Cards are going to be able to develop a player on their own terms. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cards bring in 2 or 3 undrafted rookie free agents at the position. They should be able to attract some of the better prospects if they still have that hole at #3 or just bring BSP back.

Whatever the approach the Cardinals use to hopefully bring in another QB with Anderson as the backup is fine with me, but I question whether the Cardinals can get a QB of the future this way unless they can find another KW. Please no more BSP.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont understand. Whitehurst has never started a game in his entire NFL career and is a complete enigma. Anderson at least had some success in the league and Matty knows the offense better than any active quarterback in the league.

Maybe next season the priority goes up if Matt fails, but it becomes an issue that can be addressed mid to late round now.

The fact that San Diego got so much for a third string QB tells me Whitehurst was highly thought of. I'm just saying that if there is a QB in the draft that the Cardinals think they can develop they will go after him sooner than later rather than risk losing him. I'm just not sold that ML is the Cardinals QB of the future. Believe me, I hope I am wrong. If the Cardinals are not sold on ML as the future at QB (which they would not openly acknowledge) they would want to get another QB with upside in the pipeline as soon as possible. I bet San Diego wanted more than a third round pick from the Cardinals or they would have threatened to keep him.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't read anything to support the

"No Matter what happens in camp" statement ?

Yes he is the guy now but he has to now deliver, if he doesn't there is still competition.

I haven't seen Wiz say this, in fact I remember seeing a comment along the lines of 'If Matt goes to 3 pr bowls, then we can talk about him as the anointed started"

TJ

Reaction score
I didn't read anything to support the

"No Matter what happens in camp" statement ?

Yes he is the guy now but he has to now deliver, if he doesn't there is still competition.

I haven't seen Wiz say this, in fact I remember seeing a comment along the lines of 'If Matt goes to 3 pr bowls, then we can talk about him as the anointed started"

I agree.

What is Whis going to do if Matty arrives in camp with a beer gut, fat cheeks and can't throw the ball worth a damn while Anderson is lighting it up??