The offseason - The reality. The plan. And what would you do?

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by BritCard, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green Registered User

My sentiments exactly, I am not putting a rookie in training at LT out there protecting Squeak as a day one starter. I want a vet, and DJ is probably the best one out there for free agency

daves and cardncubfan like this.
  2. AZman5103

AZman5103 Registered

Great Post! Well thought out and gives us a lot to think about. You still have about 11 million in cap space after the CC signing, and you have most of the depth spots filled, so would we have room for 1 more decent signing?

I hate the Trevathian signing. I agree it sounds like something Keim would do, but to me its such a waste of money. I would rather pay more for Schoebert and have someone halfway decent. Isiah Simmons is the real ILB gem, but there is no guarantee we land him.

My changes would be all draft related.

I would go Thomas at 8...he could start at RT and move over to left to replace DJ...because hopefully we franchise him.

I would go Raekwon Davis in the 2nd - we have not infused both line with blue chip talent.

I would also pick Madubuike in the 3rd - with our horrible D-Line and our best players being Calais and Peters (both older), you can't have enough young talent on the D-Line rotation

I would draft Uche in the 4th and hope he turns into someone that could be the #3 guy at OLB at some point. We roll with Chandler, Reddick, Marsh, and Uche for 2020.

5th round I'm looking for an interior O-lineman of Kugler's choice, and 7th round I'm going ST ace.

3. TheCardFan

TheCardFan Things have changed.

Depends on who you pick. Ronnie Stanley was the 6th pick, played LT from day 1 (well), and is now in the Pro Bowl.

Bonus- Paying an All Pro 5m vs an average/injury riddled player 14m.

4. TheCardFan

Chubba Hubbard going back to school.

5. football karma

football karma Happy in the pretense of knowledge

big picture:

offensively I start from the philosophy that putting K1 in the best position to be successful is job one: invest in the offensive line. it provides both pass protection and a running game. Further, a solid O line makes plugging in skill players much, much easier.

that means i resign DJ Humphries. Im prepared to take the risk that he is injury prone to get the reward of an ascending player who is 26 years old. Justin Murray gets tendered.

at #8, id prefer Thomas, Wills or .....Wirf, in that order ( fwiw: if Cards take Simmons, or Jeudy, or Lamb, or Brown -- its not my pref, but they are all going to be good players, so whatever..). Tackles are locked down with reasonable depth.

daves and Solar7 like this.
  6. Cardiac

Cardiac Registered User

Fantastic thread with a ton of well thought opinions and points.

I'm all about the Oline and front 7 on D. I don't think our WR's limited us to 5 wins, to me it was the D and the Oline. Both improved towards the end of the season but obviously to be contenders we need upgrades in talent.

bg7brd and BritCard like this.
  7. Jetstream Green

But youuuuuuuuuu don't knooooowww if the drafted guy is going to be a all pro, and you do not risk your young QB in a crucial year which can make or break him to that... do you, hmm

8. TheCardFan

I know DJ isn't an All Pro. I trust Kugler can do better.

9. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

I can live with someone, none All Pro, who gives up 2 sacks in over 1000 snaps.

10. Jetstream Green

But you do not even know if the rookie is a guy you can count on to be average, regardless of Kugler because a guy's character is something you still cannot read going into a draft no matter how well the interview is. I do not have a problem drafting a OT, a OT to eventually take over DJ's spot if he cannot prove to stay healthy and perform similarly with a franchise tag, because then you have insurance :)

Chopper0080 and Solar7 like this.
  11. BritCard

BritCard Registered

To be honest I wouldn't pass on him either but the article demonstrates how difficult this off season is going to be.

I constructed the off season using the kind of logic that most GM's would use but also particularly what Keim might do based on what we know about his past drafts. Lineback, DI and EDGE are all strong FA groups, but we can't realistically afford all 3. Linebacker should be the cheapest of the 3 so thats a given, and the draft is weak. You can't rely on Simmon being there at 8 or Murray being there at 40. SO I'm pretty certain we tackle LB in FA.

That leaves us with a choice between DI and OLB as the other big money FA signing. I personally don't think we can afford any of them.

Fowler, Barrett, Golden, Dupree, Judon, McPhee etc are all going to get paid more than we can afford. CJ is on $20m, we can't have $32m+ in starting OLB's.

Other cheaper options would be Jordan Jenkins, Mario Addison (who at 32 had a career year moving to 3-4 OLB) and Carl Nassib, who I think might make a better OLB than DE. So they could go that way. But if the options are any of those guys or Calais Campbell there's only 1 option.

So if Keim goes they way I think he's going to go (resign Hump and AQ) then he's painting himself into a corner when it comes to FA and thus painting himself into a corner when it comes to the draft. Because I can't see where a starting OLB is coming from right now if not the draft and the guys in round 2 I think are too rough to start right away.

I wouldn't do any of this.

I would let Hump walk, I would let AQ walk. That's $20m more right away in FA. You can have your OLB, LB and DI starters sown up in FA.

I would draft a tackle at #8. I don't mind which I like all 3.

If Becton was there at #40 (which I highly doubt) I would take him too because two good young tackles on cheap deals is never a bad thing. If not I'd take Raekwon Davis to learn and take over from Calais eventually.

In the 3rd I would take an OLB to rotate and learn behind CJ and Golden/Judon/Barrett.

For me the path to a much better roster is letting Hump and AQ go. It's a no brainer really. Neither are great. Both can be replaced in the draft or by players we already have. Which gives us much more money to rebuild the defense.

12. BritCard

BritCard Registered

We went into last season with about $7.5m in cap. You need $7-8m for injury replacements, late pickups, guys that flit on and off the roster and PS etc

So I'm afraid that $11m is more like $3m. It's going to get you some depth guy.

13. BritCard

BritCard Registered

This.

Here's the thing. DJ isn't good and sacks aren't an accurate measure of talent. The worst tackles in the league give up about 6 sacks in a season. So 2 isn't some great measure anyway.

DJ is always going to be average. This was the 1st season he stayed healthy, and it was a contract year when he's trying his hardest and he had a 61 grade. And that's his ballpark, he's always going to be a guy that grades between 60 and 69.9 over a season. He's always going to be the 17th to 25th best tackle in the league. If he's healthy.

And that last point is just as big a part of the equation. He's had 1 healthy season out of 4. You can't rely on that. If I'm paying a LT top 4 LT money I at least want to know he is always going to be available. I could like with average and consistent.

This roster is too bad to be paying top 4 money for top 20 talent.

All 3 of the Left tackles in the top 10 projections could come in and be better than Hump right away because all 3 are reliable. None have injury histories. Thomas has 42 straight starts at LT. That's some experience.

Might you get some drop off? Sure. But if you take the top 8 tackles taken in the 2019 draft (excluding the top LT who was out injured) their PFF grade averages in the high 50's. It's not like there is going to be a huge drop off between Hump and a rookie, because Hump isn't very good.

I'd rather save the $14m from Hump and role the dice on a rookie LT. Knowing that at worse there might be a slight drop off, but also they might be better and over time they will certainly be better and cheaper.

But I'm wasting my breath, because Keim is almost certainly going to resign Hump for too much money.

Morty likes this.
  14. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

I cant disagree more with this post.

You're worried about saving money when you have a QB on a rookie contract.

You want to move on from an average starting LT for the absolute unknown heading into your franchise QBs 2nd year.

You want to do all of this when you already have a hole at RT.

In the toughest division in football that has great defensive talent.

This is a great plan to ruin your young qb and get your hc and gm fired.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

15. AZman5103

AZman5103 Registered

I disagree. Players move on. Humphries is an UFA....so let him test the market. If someone else is willing to pay him 14+ million per year then let him go. I think its more realistic the market sets his price at 9-10 million per year. According to reports we have offered him 11...and he said no.

I would not want to go into the draft saying we HAVE to draft a LT in round 1...because that is when you end up with a lesser player, but if Thomas is there he is an upgrade in talent. If we end up with a LT prospect in round 2 or 3, then we could bring in a vet at around 8 million per year for a year or two while the rookie develops. I really don't think there would be much drop off between Humphries and anyone else.