Kyler Murray To the Deep End of the Pool

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Chris_Sanders, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky Registered

I don't want him to stand in the pocket just to take advantage of a penalty being called, when he needs to run he should do it. Don't think for a second a DL'man from the NFC West would think twice about taking him out? Penalty & fine would be a small price to pay for one of our divisional rival players to not have to play KM twice that yr. I want him to pass from the pocket yes but run when he needs to.

2. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

Mariota and Vick have never been as good at throwing the football as Murray is.

What you are saying about "nagging injuries " is the same nonsense I said about Russell Wilson. Wilson avoids big hits :)

Goldfield likes this.
  3. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

Yikes! Do you buy wedding rings for first dates?

Not the point about comps as players. Regardless of whatever physical traits make them different, it's the big picture of their careers I'm talking about. Not good enough to win it all, not bad enough to make him an abject failure, the end.

4. Cardsfaninlouky

Nope, just feel like KM is gonna be exciting to watch so I'm getting his stuff early lol.

PACardsFan likes this.
  5. Cardsfaninlouky

I'm not sold on Mariota at all, I just don't think he is much of a passing QB. Vicks problem, other than the dog fighting stuff, was the fact he couldn't read a defense. All though on the college level, I've watched KM read defenses, go to his 2nd & 3rd options & throw on the run. Accurately & off of one foot. We'll see how well that translates in the NFL but I have faith it will.

6. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

Mariota was at his best when he didnt throw from the pocket. That was a warning flag to me. His last season at Oregon he struggled some because they tried to keep him in the pocket more.

I just laugh at the comparison to these two, because Murray is just so much better throwing from the pocket compared to these two. Murray had well over DOUBLE Vick's last season passing yards. He basically threw for as many yards as Vick did in his VT career in one season at OU. The only comparison is that they are shorter, black, and can both run. Vick played in a run heavy offense.

Cardsfaninlouky likes this.
  7. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

You're not getting my "comparison" then.

Ryan Tannehill we'll start using as the comparison besides those guys then. The point is not what their physical profile or ability is, it's that the players flashed some strong points to their game, weren't complete failures, but ultimately were not the guy to take their teams to the top.

There's just not a ton of examples of these guys for me to draw from in the past 20-30 years that we're first round picks.

8. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

A rule of thumb that's always served me well is that when a player demonstrates he has a freakish skill-set, he has a better likelihood of succeeding than if he didn't. (We watched him do it/he is capable of doing it again).

It doesn't guarantee stardom, but it does improve his odds of doing so.

This may be one of those "floor/ceiling" kind of deals.

9. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

So by your definition every single QB the cards have ever had, were either mediocre or terrible for us. Including Kurt and Palmer.

Krangthebrain likes this.
  10. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

We didn't invest the first overall pick for them, or waste a 1st, 3rd, and 5th to give away a guy I think could have just as easily been good enough to be what I think Kyler will be.

Palmer and Warner are obvious exceptions, and if you don't think they were clearly better players, and less of an investment than the two-three guys I'm talking about (Vick, Mariota, Tannehill), I don't know what to tell you.

11. DVontel

DVontel Registered

I’m just ready to see Kyler make Solar eat crow while Kirk Cousins does what Kirk Cousins does.

PACardsFan and Krangthebrain like this.
  12. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

Care to make a friendly bet on who has the better statistical season and more wins?

Edit: Because if anyone else is betting on Kyler to complete 70% of his passes, throw for over 4,000 yards and 30 TDs, and win 8 games, I will also take that bet.

13. DVontel

DVontel Registered

No. It’s obvious Minnesota has the better team. I would be dumb to accept that.

Kyler should be able to mirror that after his rookie year too if it’s against mainly bad teams or garbage time.

14. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

Yeah, so I doubt I'll be eating crow when the Vikings are playing for a playoff spot and we're chasing moral victories.

It's additionally silly when I've already come out and said I was wrong about Cousins' fit on this team. Already got my serving of crow out of the way.

15. DVontel

DVontel Registered

Nah, I meant more so Kyler living up to his billing of being a great QB which would have you eat crow. Kirk Cousins holding back Minnesota again would just be icing on top.