Kyler Murray To the Deep End of the Pool

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
So what are you from back east then Krang? Or your folks are?

And yeah, Murray made a tough decision, but the right decision.

Lived in NC, SC, and NY until I was 11ish. Moved to Phoenix and lived there until I was 25. Lived in Germany, WA, Iraq, Afghanistan, and CA since then.

I follow both AZ sports and Carolina (North and South) sports teams as well.

Cardinals are my top team, then Suns, then Sun Devils football, and then after than probably Carolina teams.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Solar7, I was not debating that either Tua or Lawrence are excellent QBs. Tua is, and Lawrence probably will be.

But TJ's point was that "Tua and Lawrence played against better competition than Murray". Again, my rebuttal is:

1. Tua probably did play against marginally better competition, but was also backed by a much superior defense, which makes a difference in terms of in-game situations that each QB faced.

2. Lawrence played in the awful ACC, and therefore it's not even reasonable to say that he played against better competition (and he was also backed by a great, great defense). To say Lawrence faced better competition is silly.

Also Solar7, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Tua get pulled from the National Championship Game against Clemson (in favor of Jalen Hurts)?

Not exactly a highlight reel moment for your boy.

Jalen Hurts had two attempts... so, no? Are you thinking of 2018, when Jalen Hurts was benched for Tua at the half, exploding on the scene and leading a comeback to win the National Championship?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Jalen Hurts had two attempts... so, no? Are you thinking of 2018, when Jalen Hurts was benched for Tua at the half, exploding on the scene and leading a comeback to win the National Championship?

Benched in the title game according to this article.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/08/tua-tagovailoa-comes-crashing-back-to-earth-in-title-game-dud/

True, it was late in the game, but still. They went to Hurts because Tau was stinking up the field. lol..

Look, Clemson had a great defense, and Tua just had an off night. It happens. It doesn't mean Tua isn't an excellent QB, or that he doesn't have a chance to be a great pro.

But please don't come in here talking about how Tua is some kind of demi-god (you know, the way I talk about K1). haha. :)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Benched in the title game according to this article.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/08/tua-tagovailoa-comes-crashing-back-to-earth-in-title-game-dud/

True, it was late in the game, but still. They went to Hurts because Tau was stinking up the field. lol..

Look, Clemson had a great defense, and Tua just had an off night. It happens. It doesn't mean Tua isn't an excellent QB, or that he doesn't have a chance to be a great pro.

But please don't come in here talking about how Tua is some kind of demi-god (you know, the way I talk about K1). haha. :)

Ah, gotcha. I mean, yeah, he was pulled at the very end, but kinda in the same way you'd pull any great player at the end of a bad game. Why risk injury?

Tua could easily come back down to earth this season, so there's not going to be any major claims than me, more than wishing we could have deferred the decision to turn tail on a top 10 pick more than one year.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. I mean, yeah, he was pulled at the very end, but kinda in the same way you'd pull any great player at the end of a bad game. Why risk injury?

Tua could easily come back down to earth this season, so there's not going to be any major claims than me, more than wishing we could have deferred the decision to turn tail on a top 10 pick more than one year.

See, I don't get this line of thinking Solar7.

After studying college QB stats quite a bit over the last six months (e.g. Rosen, Luck, Mayfield, Manzeil, and Wilson), each QB got better in each subsequent year. Almost without exception.

Some on this board asserted that Murray would similarly "come back to earth" if would have stayed his senior season, but I don't don't understand why. Would his arm strength be less? Would he be slower? Would he be a worse decision-maker? No. In fact, for example, the experience gained in the previous year would make it likely that he would be a better decision maker. Another year of physical maturity, and another spring work-out program, would make it likely that he would be more physically capable.

You could make the argument that a supporting cast being weaker, especially the oline, might have an impact? But I think even that would marginal, especially at big time power five programs like AL and OK, where there are four and five star guys ready to step in at WR, RB, and the Oline if someone good graduates.

Anyway, I expect Tua to have a tremendous 2019, and to be the #2 pick in 2020 draft, behind Jalen Hurts. :)

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Some on this board asserted that Murray would similarly "come back to earth" if would have stayed his senior season, but I don't don't understand why. Would his arm strength be less? Would he be slower? Would he be a worse decision-maker? No.

Or defensive coordinators could've figured out how to defend him

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
See, I don't get this line of thinking Solar7.

After studying college QB stats quite a bit over the last six months (e.g. Rosen, Luck, Mayfield, Manzeil, and Wilson), each QB got better in each subsequent year. Almost without exception.

Some on this board asserted that Murray would similarly "come back to earth" if would have stayed his senior season, but I don't don't understand why. Would his arm strength be less? Would he be slower? Would he be a worse decision-maker? No. In fact, for example, the experience gained in the previous year would make it likely that he would be a better decision maker. Another year of physical maturity, and another spring work-out program, would make it likely that he would be more physically capable.

You could make the argument that a supporting cast being weaker, especially the oline, might have an impact? But I think even that would marginal, especially at big time power five programs like AL and OK, where there are four and five star guys ready to step in at WR, RB, and the Oline if someone good graduates.

Anyway, I expect Tua to have a tremendous 2019, and to be the #2 pick in 2020 draft, behind Jalen Hurts. :)

Matt Leinart had a little bit of a letdown, going from more or less being guaranteed of being the #1 pick, to the #10. Guys like Jake Locker, Christian Hackenburg, Mason Rudolph, Luke Falk, Drew Lock, Jimmy Clausen, etc... they're all guys who immediately come to mind as QBs who looked to challenge as first round QBs early in their careers, only to find themselves slip. These are all guys I recall being in pre-season hype articles.

There's a lot of factors, injury notwithstanding.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave