Kyler Murray To the Deep End of the Pool

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Chris_Sanders, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

The media HAS had availability. They just arent allowed to report on anything past the first 20 mins.

They unanimously have said Murray has looked great, but with the caveat that this is shorts football.

CardsSunsDbacks and daves like this.
  2. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Has No Time For Love

Darren Urban on the Underground podcast mentioned that he wanted Bosa, was reluctant about this new path, and is now much more confident that Kyler will be successful.

All of this is based on the additional access the media gets above and beyond the first 20 minutes.

And Urban is a skeptic through and through.

3. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

What I’m most encouraged about are things like how the ball comes out of his hand. How he has control of the huddle. How he knows the offense better than anybody else and how he had been with the media. I don’t care if you’re in shorts. Those are tangibles you can see now.

4. Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky Registered

Why all the pessimism? We're gonna come out of the gate scoring points & light the league up damnit lol.

5. Cardsfaninlouky

I've noticed his skepticism also in his "mailbag" responses to fans questions on my Cardinals mobile app.

6. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

I just want to be realistic. I do like that we're hearing all of the right things so far, but even most of the best QBs in NFL history haven't come out of the gate like Cam Newton did. If Kyler comes out and matches or beats that performance, I'll buy a Kyler t-shirt.

Cardsfaninlouky likes this.
  7. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

One thing that you keep saying (not in this post, but elsewhere) is that you think Murray is going to be "middling".

Jay Glazer talked about Murray on his recent mailbag on The Athletic. Murray is either going to take the league by storm or be a bust.

Why is that? He just has too many nearly unique talents, but also the height detriment.

His arm strength is near the top in the NFL. His release is already compared to Dan Marino. He is the fastest QB in the NFL. And he has a unique mastery of the offense he will be playing in.

Literally no QB situation in the NFL has ever been like this.

He is either going to take the league by storm or fail miserably. There is nothing about him nor his situation that will be middling.

Cardsfaninlouky and dscher like this.
  8. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

Here goes the hyperbole or "one person said it so it has to be true" comparisons. Dan Marino is one of the greatest to play the game. Let's all chill before we take that as fact. He has a compact, nice delivery, I'll give him that. Top of the league arm strength? Eh. I bet there's at least 10 guys who can sling it harder. "Fastest QB in the NFL?" We definitely don't know that one. He never ran, so we'll never know. There's still guys like Lamar Jackson and Tyrod Taylor.

As far as to why I think he'll be middling... for where we drafted him, middling does make him a bust. But, yes, he has a lot of tools, and it doesn't appear that he has major character issues that will kill him with drugs or off the field incidents. I think his athletic ability will bail him out of some situations for him to not be atrocious, but that the mental part of the game or a lesser roster than he's used to will lead to mistakes and eventually frustration.

Not to mention my heightened injury concern for any QB whose mobility is a significant part of their game. I know, I know, he'll know when to avoid big hits, whatever... I just don't like any QB who isn't sitting in the pocket taking advantage of all of the insane "you breathe on him, you get a penalty" rules.

He's calm, cool, and collected, but I see him either turning into Michael Vick (some tantalizing plays, maybe a playoff one and done, but never puts it all together consistently before age catches up to athleticism), or Marcus Mariota (good in flashes, but his athleticism is limited by nagging injuries and at the end of 5 years we can't decide whether to keep him or see him go).

9. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Has No Time For Love

Look..... I'm a huge Kyler homer. But I do think there is the opportunity for a middling level of QB play. Maybe his traits allow him to overcome his deficiencies but he still makes enough mistakes for the peanut gallery to moan and groan.

Do I think it will happen? No. But I definitely think its a possibility.

I have top 5 QB at 10%
    Top 10 QB at 35%
    Top 15 QB at 20%
    15 to 25 QB at 25%
    Bottom 7 QB at 10%

And yes..... I do think he has a 45% chance of being a top 10 quarterback straight from the damn jump. Don't @ me homie!

10. Cardsfaninlouky

I ordered a black KM #1 T-shirt & a red one exactly the same about a month ago. 2 Cardinals hats also. The hats came in already but both T-shirts won't be shipped until September 27th, due to league rules on what number players will wear to start the season. Like KM will wear any number other than #1 lol, but ok. I'm gonna order the $300 KM Nike Elite jersey also. I'm gonna be optimistic & say our offense & KM will give teams fits this yr trying to defend the whole field. With the FO hiring an attacking 3/4 DC, signing some players on that side of the ball, young QB or not, I like our chances in alot of games. They have to prepare for us the same as we do for them. The Rams went worst to first 3 yrs ago with a young unproven coach so why not us? I will guarantee we are world's better this season than last at the very least.

daves and Krangthebrain like this.
  11. Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green Registered User

Think of Drew Brees with 4.3 speed if he needed the extra athletic ability. That is a possibility and no matter how slight it might seem to some, as Cardinal fans we need to embrace that when the rest of the league is just entertained with the notion and we want to win :newcards:

12. SECTION 11

SECTION 11 vibraslap

He’s a 30 for 30 candidate one way or another.

kerouac9 and Cardsfaninlouky like this.
  13. SECTION 11

SECTION 11 vibraslap

He’s a football player. As opposed to Rosen who is a smart guy that throws footballs. I like our chances on this one.

14. Cardsfaninlouky

Well said brother, well said.

Krangthebrain likes this.
  15. Cardsfaninlouky

SECTION 11 likes this.