Arizona Cardinals off season, week 1. 01/08/24-01/14/23

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll just rant here instead of a thread. I ain't signing up for Peacock just to watch Chiefs/Phins. Screw these people. I already canceled my Amazon which I actually use. I didn't pay for Sunday ticket this year either. Yes, I can afford it but I just don't want to. I canceled my NFL+ for Red zone. Every nickel and dime just pisses me off to no end.

Rant over, for now.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Let's grade the rookies after their first year!

Paris Johnson, Jr., B. Got a lot of help from the system but wasn't a catastrophe. Showed the traits expected and was a positive marker for the culture the front office is trying to build. A worthy successor to D.J. Humphries.

BJ Ojulari, C-. Woof. Unexpected scratch from the offseason program and much of the preseason due to unexplained injury. Showed little juice in the pass rush with just four sacks and eight pressures in 409 snaps mostly in pass rush situation. Much room to grow.

Garrett Williams, B+. After sitting out the first six games recovering from an ACL suffered in college, had a remarkable first game with an INT. Wasn't challenged often through the rest of his season, but showed he belonged on an NFL field.

Michael Wilson, A-. Missed games in the middle of his rookie season with injury but showed he can be an impactful third or fourth option, which is spectacular for the 94th overall pick in the draft. Another great culture add.

Jon Gaines, INC. Placed on IR during training camp following a knee injury suffered during a preseason game. In limited action, looked like he belonged in the NFL.

Clayton Tune, B-. He was never going to live up to the lofty preseason hype. He wasn't even the best quarterback taken in the fifth round of this draft. But he filled the Chris Streveler Memorial QB dive role as effectively as he filled the Chris Streveler Struggling to Throw NFL passes role.

Owen Pappoe, C. Pappoe played a lot of special teams snaps without distinction and was fairly bad when forced to take snaps with the regular defense. This is about what you expect from a rookie off-ball linebacker selected in the fifth round.

Kei'Trel Clark, C-. Ordinarily getting four passes defensed and seven starts from a rookie sixth round pick would seem like an immense accomplishment. Instead, Clark is an enigma who was not allowed to participate in the defense because we liked UDFA rookie Starling Thomas III more. ST3 regularly gave receivers 10 or more yards of separation at the time they caught the ball.

Dante Stills, A+. The rookie sixth rounder was perhaps the best player on the Cards' worst unit. His 3.5 sacks were largely schemed, not beating opponents straight-up, but he showed that he belongs on an NFL roster as a rotational defensive lineman.

Overall Draft Grade: B-. Monti Williams probably didn't get a miraculous rookie class, but he got a solid unit to help fill the holes he created in his first offseason. It's easier to find solid role players than exceptional game-changers, but it's not easy. Ossenfort will likely need to find one offensive playmaker and three or four defensive playmakers in the next two drafts to position the Cards as long-term playoff contenders.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'll just rant here instead of a thread. I ain't signing up for Peacock just to watch Chiefs/Phins. Screw these people. I already canceled my Amazon which I actually use. I didn't pay for Sunday ticket this year either. Yes, I can afford it but I just don't want to. I canceled my NFL+ for Red zone. Every nickel and dime just pisses me off to no end.

Rant over, for now.
Come for the random playoff game, stay for the weekly (almost) English Premier League action. Aston Villa is good! Plenty of room on the bandwagon.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Paris Johnson, Jr., B. Got a lot of help from the system but wasn't a catastrophe. Showed the traits expected and was a positive marker for the culture the front office is trying to build. A worthy successor to D.J. Humphries.

BJ Ojulari, C-. Woof. Unexpected scratch from the offseason program and much of the preseason due to unexplained injury. Showed little juice in the pass rush with just four sacks and eight pressures in 409 snaps mostly in pass rush situation. Much room to grow.

Garrett Williams, B+. After sitting out the first six games recovering from an ACL suffered in college, had a remarkable first game with an INT. Wasn't challenged often through the rest of his season, but showed he belonged on an NFL field.

Michael Wilson, A-. Missed games in the middle of his rookie season with injury but showed he can be an impactful third or fourth option, which is spectacular for the 94th overall pick in the draft. Another great culture add.

Jon Gaines, INC. Placed on IR during training camp following a knee injury suffered during a preseason game. In limited action, looked like he belonged in the NFL.

Clayton Tune, B-. He was never going to live up to the lofty preseason hype. He wasn't even the best quarterback taken in the fifth round of this draft. But he filled the Chris Streveler Memorial QB dive role as effectively as he filled the Chris Streveler Struggling to Throw NFL passes role.

Owen Pappoe, C. Pappoe played a lot of special teams snaps without distinction and was fairly bad when forced to take snaps with the regular defense. This is about what you expect from a rookie off-ball linebacker selected in the fifth round.

Kei'Trel Clark, C-. Ordinarily getting four passes defensed and seven starts from a rookie sixth round pick would seem like an immense accomplishment. Instead, Clark is an enigma who was not allowed to participate in the defense because we liked UDFA rookie Starling Thomas III more. ST3 regularly gave receivers 10 or more yards of separation at the time they caught the ball.

Dante Stills, A+. The rookie sixth rounder was perhaps the best player on the Cards' worst unit. His 3.5 sacks were largely schemed, not beating opponents straight-up, but he showed that he belongs on an NFL roster as a rotational defensive lineman.

Overall Draft Grade: B-. Monti Williams probably didn't get a miraculous rookie class, but he got a solid unit to help fill the holes he created in his first offseason. It's easier to find solid role players than exceptional game-changers, but it's not easy. Ossenfort will likely need to find one offensive playmaker and three or four defensive playmakers in the next two drafts to position the Cards as long-term playoff contenders.

That's a pretty solid take. Not much I would change here.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Solid assessment

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Rant over, for now.
Dofu is free

strange..tons of ads on my tablet but not a single one on my phone..

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come for the random playoff game, stay for the weekly (almost) English Premier League action. Aston Villa is good! Plenty of room on the bandwagon.

I hate soccer!.. lolol... I'm more into Nordic Noir crime drama which Netflix has!..

PS, I just wound myself up enough that I'm now pissed over how much Sirius radio charges for my wife's car & my truck! Renew in Feb... Hate them too.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

Good assessment. If Gaines could step on at left guard it would be one less hole to fill.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

This is about how I view the rookie class.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rant over, for now.
May as well sign up, you get a week, free trial and then cancel it or at least you used to

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I hate soccer!.. lolol... I'm more into Nordic Noir crime drama which Netflix has!..

PS, I just wound myself up enough that I'm now pissed over how much Sirius radio charges for my wife's car & my truck! Renew in Feb... Hate them too.

Call and threaten to leave. I do that every time and they give me a good deal :)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Screw Villa, support Newcastle :)

Man, Gooner fans will blow a gasket if Unai finishes above them in the league.
If you're gonna benefit from Middle Eastern money, do it in the most indirect way possible.

The Kelpies are in their Dan Gilbert era -- I hope it lasts forever.

Also, Emi Martinez is a delight. The biggest drawback is their kits are interchangeable with like 1/3 of the premiership (for now).

I can't wait to see how Liverpool survives Mo Salah's absence and how Tottenham muff it.