Arizona Basketball 2015-2016

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
So our best perimeter player goes down and we beat UW by 30+? Okie dokie.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So our best perimeter player goes down and we beat UW by 30+? Okie dokie.

I watched the last 10 minutes of the first half. Unless something is wrong with my tv Miller played quite a bit of zone when he had the big lineup in.

Probably the best adjustment since Tollefsen isn't quick enough to guard a 3 guard offense but it's a big zone and a very effective rebounding group.

Conference is wacky.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI a UA fan who posts on BRO says Pitts has been "cleared of all allegations" and will be reinstated shortly. He insists he doesn't know what the allegatiosn were but that Pitts was suspended while it was investigated and now that he's cleared he'll be playing again soon.

We'll see if that part is true or not. Pretty strong first 2 games without Trier and getting Pitts back would obviously help.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
FYI a UA fan who posts on BRO says Pitts has been "cleared of all allegations" and will be reinstated shortly. He insists he doesn't know what the allegatiosn were but that Pitts was suspended while it was investigated and now that he's cleared he'll be playing again soon.

We'll see if that part is true or not. Pretty strong first 2 games without Trier and getting Pitts back would obviously help.

It's been a foregone conclusion for a little while that Pitts's situation was going to be resolved in his favor, but Miller did the right thing by keeping him out based on the surrounding issue.

As for his return, I think he comes back against Stanford tomorrow, but my hope is that it does not cut into Justin Simon's minutes. That kid is making strides in his development.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like so far my comment about Tollefsen replacing Trier helping the defense was correct.

Someone posted the defensive stats from sports reference.com for the pac 12 on BRO in a discussion of how bad Bryce is on defense. the interesting thing is statistically, the 2 worst defenders in the Pac 12 are Tra Holder of ASU and then Trier. Holder allows 115.7 Points per 100 possessions, Trier was 2nd worst at 111.1, Alford is at 110. Trier has a slightly positive DefensiveBoxPLus Minus number of 1.2, Alford is one of only 4 starters in the Pac 12 to have a negative DBPM so statistically he's the worst defender in the conference.

But it does sort of bear out what MacLean was saying last night as to why UA is doing ok without Trier, he may have been the best offensive player, clearly the best perimeter one, but he was not a good defender and UA is now able to win when they shoot well, or when they shoot poorly but play good defense.

Clearly you'd rather have Trier and his defense was getting better, but it's an interesting example of why basketball is a team game and so interesting.

Trier's offensive rating is 121 something so in theory he scores 10 points more than he allows per 100 possessions. Tollefsen actually has a higher win shares number though because while not nearly the offensive player, he's a much better defender so according to at least these numbers he's actually a better player than Trier by a very slight margin.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like either the page had an error or the guy who posted it made a typo Trier's D rating is quite a bit better than the 111 he posted.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to be a fan of college basketball with so many one-and-dones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
awesome job having Gabe drain the clock to five seconds on the final play only to fumble it and lose any chance of a quality shot.

Kadeem was wide open on that play, too.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's 4 road losses (1 neutral) by a grand total of 10 points. This team will show well in the tournament despite an absence of star power, assuming they make the tourney. But we do need to start winning a few of these road games though otherwise our weak non-conference SOS could really hurt us. My guess, we lose at least 3 more road games but still add another Elite 8 appearance to Miller's resume.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
That's 4 road losses (1 neutral) by a grand total of 10 points. This team will show well in the tournament despite an absence of star power, assuming they make the tourney. But we do need to start winning a few of these road games though otherwise our weak non-conference SOS could really hurt us. My guess, we lose at least 3 more road games but still add another Elite 8 appearance to Miller's resume.

We only have four more road games left against the Washington schools, CU & Utah. We can go 2-2 in those games easily. If we win the rest of the home games, we finish 13-5 in conference play. With that said, We should make the tournament and be heathy come March. I predicted S16 and I'm sticking with it.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
I'll take a S16 and call it a great year.

We need to get healthy. Pure and simple.

Although, I'm not sure how a well-coached team can commit 19 turnovers in one game.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
The curtain of desperation does not belong in this forum.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need to get healthy. Pure and simple.

Although, I'm not sure how a well-coached team can commit 19 turnovers in one game.

Clearly not enough calling them mfers is going on.

I have to admit I get coaches swear at kids but I'm pretty surprised Miller didn't at least get publicly reprimanded for that. Much of the reaction I've seen is defending him, he's coaching them, they need to be tougher etc. Just don't buy it in that situation he'd lost his cool, it had nothing to do with Tarc being coached.

He went nuts on the sideline for several minutes, from what I could tell Tarc was afraid his coach was going to get a T in a close game and hurt the team so he told Miller to relax and Miller went off on him. That was pretty embarassing behavior. I know it happens but in during a game it's pretty unusual to see a coach go that far going after a player.

Seems to have worked though they look much better tonight, especially PJC best game i've seen him play all year/

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Clearly not enough calling them mfers is going on.

I have to admit I get coaches swear at kids but I'm pretty surprised Miller didn't at least get publicly reprimanded for that. Much of the reaction I've seen is defending him, he's coaching them, they need to be tougher etc. Just don't buy it in that situation he'd lost his cool, it had nothing to do with Tarc being coached.

He went nuts on the sideline for several minutes, from what I could tell Tarc was afraid his coach was going to get a T in a close game and hurt the team so he told Miller to relax and Miller went off on him. That was pretty embarassing behavior. I know it happens but in during a game it's pretty unusual to see a coach go that far going after a player.

Seems to have worked though they look much better tonight, especially PJC best game i've seen him play all year/

The only people who truly think he should be publicly reprimanded are from Westwood and Tempe. "OMG!! Miller called a 22 year-old man a motherf**ker!! Call the police!! The humanity."

Please.....

If anyone should be publicly reprimanded, it's Zeus. It's bad enough when he plays like trash, but when it's because of not trying, that's preposterous. Add to the fact that he talked back at Miller, and Zeus basically begged Miller to light him up. This hardly deserves any attention from anyone. Period.

Miller even mentioned tonight that he did not regret laying into Zeus and subsequently the rest of the team the way he did after the Oregon game. Look, the team had lost two in a row and the home winning streak snapped. The team had hit rock bottom. Should Miller coddle his team instead?

Man's game.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only people who truly think he should be publicly reprimanded are from Westwood and Tempe. "OMG!! Miller called a 22 year-old man a motherf**ker!! Call the police!! The humanity."

Please.....

If anyone should be publicly reprimanded, it's Zeus. It's bad enough when he plays like trash, but when it's because of not trying, that's preposterous. Add to the fact that he talked back at Miller, and Zeus basically begged Miller to light him up. This hardly deserves any attention from anyone. Period.

Miller even mentioned tonight that he did not regret laying into Zeus and subsequently the rest of the team the way he did after the Oregon game. Look, the team had lost two in a row and the home winning streak snapped. The team had hit rock bottom. Should Miller coddle his team instead?

Man's game.

So if Tarc's math teacher called a MFer because he was mad at his performance in math class you don't think the U of A would reprimand the teacher?

He's a 22 year old kid, he's a college player, he's not a professional.

Miller has a serious issue controlling himself, that was the most recent example. And it's not just UCLA or ASU fans that think so, everyone who's seen that video and isn't an ARizona fan seems to agree the guy went too far.

As for blaming the incident on Tarc, here is what Sean Miller said about him on Pac 12 media day

"I don't know if I've coached too many players, if ever a player, that has been more unselfish, more giving, more hard-working than Kaleb Tarczewski," Miller said of his post. "He has an opportunity to graduate from the Eller School of Business, which from an undergraduate perspective is one of our most prominent programs at the University of Arizona. He also has an opportunity on the court to leave as the all-time winningest player in our program's history, which considering the history is an incredible statement."

And here's a shot of Miller "coaching" him on the sideline.

As for not regretting it, I don't doubt that he's been doing this stuff for years now this is just the most over the top one because he went after a player. It's right up there with Calipari going after Terrence Jones, at least he actually apologized,

Attachments

• miller.jpg
    miller.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 77

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and another shot of big boy coaching.

The funny thing is watch the reaction of Book Richardson when Miller goes after KT, he's literally rolling his eyes like he can't believe Miller is doing it.

Attachments

• Kaleb.jpg
    Kaleb.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
So if Tarc's math teacher called a MFer because he was mad at his performance in math class you don't think the U of A would reprimand the teacher?

He's a 22 year old kid, he's a college player, he's not a professional.

Awful analogy. That's like comparing my language and behavior at a bar versus at a church. You're trying to compare two totally different settings, cultures, and environments that have no similarities whatsoever; but also attempting to apply the standards of the more subdued environment to that of the more boisterous one.

Not sure you've spent much time on the sidelines, in practice or meetings with these coaches, but what you witnessed in that short clip is peanuts in comparison to if that was your 9-5 everyday. I've seen and heard far worse, personally.

I'm not saying I condone what Miller said, but the people who are falling out of their chairs condemning him for that exchange really have no idea what they're getting upset about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
and another shot of big boy coaching.

The funny thing is watch the reaction of Book Richardson when Miller goes after KT, he's literally rolling his eyes like he can't believe Miller is doing it.

Your Bruin colors are showing. I bet you were first in line defending Coach Mora when he publicly admonished Josh Rosen in practice and through the media.

Either you're being a hater, or this is a topic beyond your level of comprehension. Reprimand from the university?? LOL!!

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard