MadCards 2023 Cardinals Mock Draft V1.0

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the Combine in the books and the Cardinals in full rebuild mode I figure it's time for my first stab at the 2023 Cardinals Mock Draft. I'm going to start with a few pre draft Trades.

The Cardinals trade DHop to Carolina for the #39 overall pick in 2023 and a 5th rounder in 2024.

The Cardinals will then swap picks with Indi in the first round. The Colts get #3 overall and the Cardinals get #4, #79 and #138 in 2023 and a 2024 3rd.

This gives the Cardinals the following picks to work with in 2023:

You must be registered for see images attach

#4 - Will Anderson - Edge - Alabama
6'3" 253lbs

This is a no brainer. Arguably the Best player in the 2023 draft at a position the Cardinals desperately need. The Cardinals can begin rebuilding their defense around one of the best pass rushers to come out of college in years. Everything that he did at the Combine just proved what an amazing athlete this kid is.

#34 - John Michael Schmitz - C - Minn
6'3" 301lbs

The Cardinals continue the trend and end up snagging the best center in the draft. It's about time the Cardinals address their OL via the draft and Schmitz is a nice start.

#39 - Darnell Washington - TE - Georgia
6'7" 264lbs

I can hear it now... "But MadCard, didn't the Cardinals draft a TE in the second round last year!!!". Yes they did but the Cardinals are going to be running a bunch of 12 and 13 personnel this season. So adding another stud TE makes sense. Anyone who watched College Football knows the "Big O". If you watched the NFL Combine this kid could not be missed. He was literally head and shoulders above all his peers. I believe that the Cardinals new offense will start with the running game and the "Big O" will play a huge part in that. However don't underestimate this kid catching the ball.

#66 - Mazi Smith - DT - Michigan
6'3" 323lbs

Smith slips down boards to the Cardinals and they snag a big space eater as they begin to rebuild their defensive front. Smith won't be a sack artist but he will clog the middle and free up LBs to make plays.

#79 - Darius Rush - CB - S. Carolina
6'2" 198lbs

Darius has the size and length that NFL teams look for in a NFL CB. Probably would have gone in the 2nd round of other drafts but the CB position is so deep this year he can be easily had in the 3rd round. He had a great senior bowl week where he excelled against his peers.

#96 - Hendon Hooker - QB - Tenn
6'3" 217lbs

The ACL injury Hooker is recovering from causes him to drop way farther than he should. Still this kid has the size and arm that NFL teams look for in a QB. Not the best deep thrower and will sail passes over his receivers at times. Throws great intermediate passes. Stands tall in the pocket. Hooker gives the Cardinals some insurance if Kyler's issues can't be fixed. Hooker could be an option to start in 2025 should the Cards move on from Kyler.

#105 - Devon Achane - RB - Texas A&M
5'9" 188lbs

Elusive speedster who can get to the corner in a hurry. Measured shorter than expected at the combine at just under 5'9". Size concerns causes him to drop in a draft loaded at RB. Still his talent cannot be overlooked. He would be a nice complement to James Conner.

#138 - KJ Henry - Edge - Clemson
6'4" 251lbs

You can never have too many pass rushers. Henry would add another young athletic pass rusher to the mix. He is super quick off the snap and is a high character team captain that the coaches love.

#168 - Sean Tucker - RB - Syracuse
5'9" 207lbs

Another RB who slides in the draft due to so much depth at the position. Tucker is built low to the ground with very strong legs. he keeps those legs churning and gets the tough yards.

#180 - Cory Trice - CB - Purdue
6'3" 206lbs

Trice is a big CB who isn't afraid to get down and dirty. He is a bit of a prospect but who isn't this late in the draft. You can never have too many DBs. Yes I love that cliche!

#213 - Juice Scruggs - C - Penn St.
6'3" 301lbs

I don't know much about Scruggs. However I love his name Juice. Why not! LOL

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I would take Steve Avila over Washington at 39, don’t really like a QB that high (especially one coming off an ACL), and don’t see the need for two RBs and two Cs, but otherwise I like the guys you picked - though not sure if several will be around where you slotted them (e.g. Smith, Rush). I would hope we could get more from Indy too, but a one spot jump is tricky on compensation unless they are convinced someone else will will definitely leap frog them.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would take Steve Avila over Washington at 39, don’t really like a QB that high (especially one coming off an ACL),

Every year I fall in love with a player in the second round.

2017 Budda Baker
2018 Orlando Brown
2019 Deebo Samuel
2020 no 2nd
2021 Rondale Moore

This year that player is Darnell Washington. I'm going to be banging the drum for him till the draft. If this new offense goes in the direction that I think it is, Washington could be a huge piece of the puzzle.

I love his physical style and blocking:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I would hope we could get more from Indy too, but a one spot jump is tricky on compensation unless they are convinced someone else will will definitely leap frog them.
I think moving back one spot and landing two 3rds and a 5th is pretty solid considering that you still get your guy in Anderson.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chad Reuter just released his 4 round mock and it has some similarities to mine.

He has the Cardinals trading with the Colts and landing 3rds in 2023 and 2024 but he has the Cards getting a 2023 4th where I predicted a 5th.

He ultimately has the Cardinals selecting:

#4 Edge Will Anderson Alabama
#34 WR Quentin Johnston TCU
#66 OG Steve Avila TCU
#79 RB Kendre Miller TCU
#96 CB Kyu Blu Kelly Stanford
#105 DT Zacch Pickens S. Carolina
#106 CB Kei'Trel Clark Louisville

The only picks that I hate are WR Johnston with our second and RB Miller in the 3rd. I do love OG Avila with the first 3rd. Wouldn't be sad with the other picks.

If I had the choice based on how this draft went I would have gone:

#34 C John Michael Schmitz Minn
#66 OG Steve Avila TCU
#79 DT Siaki Ika Baylor
#105 RB Devon Achane Texas A&M

I think the first five players could potentially be starters or see significant time. All of them would at least see some time on the field each game.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Chad Reuter just released his 4 round mock and it has some similarities to mine.

He has the Cardinals trading with the Colts and landing 3rds in 2023 and 2024 but he has the Cards getting a 2023 4th where I predicted a 5th.

#34 WR Quentin Johnson TCU
#66 OG Steve Avila TCU
#79 RB Kendre Miller TCU

The only picks that I hate are WR Johnson with our second and Miller in the 3rd. I do love OG Avila in the 3rd. Wouldn't be sad with the other picks.

#66 OG Steve Avila TCU
#79 DT Siaki Ika Baylor

I think the first five players could potentially be starters or see significant time. All of them would at least see some time on the field each game.
thats a pretty awesome draft though. Johnson is a much needed piece if we trade Hop and for him to be on the board at 34 makes it a no brainer pick. three months ago he was considered the only legit first round WR. I kinda like the idea that all three offensive guys are from the same team. it should help them blend in to the cardinals,...and maybe...TCU has some attitude/culture that the staff is looking for

but both those drafts are pretty solid in their own right

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats a pretty awesome draft though. Johnson is a much needed piece if we trade Hop and for him to be on the board at 34 makes it a no brainer pick. three months ago he was considered the only legit first round WR. I kinda like the idea that all three offensive guys are from the same team. it should help them blend in to the cardinals,...and maybe...TCU has some attitude/culture that the staff is looking for

but both those drafts are pretty solid in their own right

I like Johnston's size and speed however his hands are a big concern for me. For a big WR like him you would think that he would snag everything thrown in his direction. I also have concerns about the limited routes that he was required to run at TCU. I get a bust vibe from him.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I like Johnston's size and speed however his hands are a big concern for me. For a big WR like him you would think that he would snag everything thrown in his direction. I also have concerns about the limited routes that he was required to run at TCU. I get a bust vibe from him.
The "limited route tree" concern has largely been disproven by a number of prospects over the years.

Johnston would be a steal at #34.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

#66 OG Steve Avila TCU
#79 RB Kendre Miller TCU

The only picks that I hate are WR Johnston with our second and RB Miller in the 3rd. I do love OG Avila with the first 3rd. Wouldn't be sad with the other picks.

#66 OG Steve Avila TCU
#79 DT Siaki Ika Baylor

I like Reuter's choices better.

WR is a premium position, and getting a big, strong guy at #34 is a good get. I would lament losing out on Schmitz, but if the Cardinals do lose Hopkins, Johnston would be a great add.

I think down the road, Avila is going to be the best IOL in the class and both mock drafts add him.

Kendre Miller is a potential starter, but I do think Ika is going to be a good NT. I call this a wash.

I like Miller more than Achane because he's a more complete player. This draft is weak on DL and Pickens might be a starter down the road. I'd rather have Miller and Pickens than Ika and Achane.

Kei'Trel is going to be an NFL nickel and he's a great prospect.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Every year I fall in love with a player in the second round.

2017 Budda Baker
2018 Orlando Brown
2019 Deebo Samuel
2020 no 2nd
2021 Rondale Moore

This year that player is Darnell Washington. I'm going to be banging the drum for him till the draft. If this new offense goes in the direction that I think it is, Washington could be a huge piece of the puzzle.

I love his physical style and blocking:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I think moving back one spot and landing two 3rds and a 5th is pretty solid considering that you still get your guy in Anderson.
My issue is that I think Washington is the height of luxury pick after taking McBride last year. Washington also wasn't even the best player at his position on his own team.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "limited route tree" concern has largely been disproven by a number of prospects over the years.

Johnston would be a steal at #34.

I also didn't like how he disappeared in the National Championship game. I mean like No Where To Be Seen!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
My issue is that I think Washington is the height of luxury pick after taking McBride last year. Washington also wasn't even the best player at his position on his own team.
Yeah, we can't hammer previous GM's for mismanagement of assets and not taking premium positions early in the draft if we turn around a draft a TE after drafting a promising one the previous year. Even if the plan is to run lots of 2 TE sets, we still have Ertz.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we can't hammer previous GM's for mismanagement of assets and not taking premium positions early in the draft if we turn around a draft a TE after drafting a promising one the previous year. Even if the plan is to run lots of 2 TE sets, we still have Ertz.

The problem is they want to run 2 and 3 TE sets. Plus Ertz is most likely cut next season. Not to mention that Washington is much more effective at blocking than Ertz and McBride.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

#66 OG Steve Avila TCU
#79 RB Kendre Miller TCU

#66 OG Steve Avila TCU
#79 DT Siaki Ika Baylor

I’d be pretty stoked with either draft (though like you I question the rb).

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr