Arizona Basketball 2015-2016

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Let's get it started.

Looks like the starting lineup to start the season will be Allen, York, Tollefeson, Anderson, and Zeus. This is arguably one of the oldest lineups in the nation.

Outside shooting looks like it's going to be a struggle this season unless Trier can find his stroke. This team will try and win with its length and defense.

After one game, you can see why Miller was very high on Kadeem Allen, high enough to start him over PJC. Good court vision, fast, and can score the rock.

Ryan Anderson is probably our best player. Think Brandon Ashley with non-stop motivation.

We'll see. I'm saying this is a Sweet 16 team at this point with hopes it catches fire in March.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ryan Anderson is a stud and is probably a good reason why Ashley left. Kadeem Allen was impressive. The guy played the point very well and he plays a strong defense. I like his size and with his aggressiveness on defense, he will cause a lot of havoc on the smaller guards.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ryan Anderson is a stud and is probably a good reason why Ashley left. Kadeem Allen was impressive. The guy played the point very well and he plays a strong defense. I like his size and with his aggressiveness on defense, he will cause a lot of havoc on the smaller guards.

Anderson is a monster. Without him it would be a dark season.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
This is going to be a very interesting season. Losing Tarc all but sealed the win for PC.

This team is not going to do much come tourney time. Miller needs to hope that Josh Jackson commits for next season and Ray Smith needs to be 100% healthy.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This is going to be a very interesting season. Losing Tarc all but sealed the win for PC.

This team is not going to do much come tourney time. Miller needs to hope that Josh Jackson commits for next season and Ray Smith needs to be 100% healthy.

PGU says JJ has told the staff he's coming. Kinda seems like a prediction that's easy to justify if he's wrong though.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
PGU says JJ has told the staff he's coming. Kinda seems like a prediction that's easy to justify if he's wrong though.

If that is the case, what is he waiting for? No matter who comes back, he starts Day 1. Is he waiting for Cal to put the full court press on him or to see how many UK kids go in the lottery? I mean I guess its a good thing he's waiting so that he doesn't have to re-open his recruitment if he changes his mind.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If that is the case, what is he waiting for? No matter who comes back, he starts Day 1. Is he waiting for Cal to put the full court press on him or to see how many UK kids go in the lottery? I mean I guess its a good thing he's waiting so that he doesn't have to re-open his recruitment if he changes his mind.

I don't think Cal or UK is a threat. Just MSU.

I think if things get worse and MSU continues to dominate they could overtake us in the recruitment. If Valentine goes pro they'll lose their top-3 players but have a sick class coming in.

You know Miller wants to be stacked when the Final Four is in Glendale.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Transition year. Really only 2-3 programs that lose 4 starters to the NBA and chugs along and even they have some clunker seasons.Jackson is a must get by the way.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Transition year. Really only 2-3 programs that lose 4 starters to the NBA and chugs along and even they have some clunker seasons.Jackson is a must get by the way.
+1. Just goes to show how much of a recruiting legend Calipari is. He loses 4 -5 kids every year but replaces those 4-5 kids with 5 star players and that is despite the fact that UK is always 2 deep at each position so some of these guys are willing to come off the bench to play at UK. The thing is its not just the prestige of UK, Cal was pulling them in at Memphis which wasn't a powerhouse until he came in. Boy, they fell to mediocrity when he left and Pastner took over. The irony is Pastner biggest strength is he is a good recruiter, just not a good head coach.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is the weakest UK team we have seen in a LONG time.

They are overrated because they don't shoot the 3 well but they are still loaded with NBA talent. Murray, Skal, Briscoe, Lee they're all going to play in the NBA and I think Ulis will too.

Perfect timing, ulis not 100%, UCLA jacked up and then Lee gets hurt which really exposed how bad on defense the young bigs are for UK.

I haven't seen confirmation but apparently in the pregame warmups the UK kids were VERY vocal about last years blowout, even though most of them weren't even at UK. APparently UCLA went back into the locker room and basically said screw that not in our house. Again not sure if true but would explain why UCLA was so pumped up.

Not a vintage UK team but better than the NIT team under Cal. Their guards are great but none of them are great shooters. As Bilas said in the game the problem is they have 3 guards who are better on the ball than off the ball and there's only 1 ball.

The Prince Ali dunk was awesome, 3 point play, fouled out the only post player who could defend, that effectively ended the game.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Sean Miller owns Mark Few. Can't wait to get Tarc back.

--------

What do you like about Arizona?
Coach Miller, he’s a great coach. Obviously I’ve been able to play under him at USA Basketball. He coached me. I think he’s a great guy and a great coach. I love his style of play. Their teams are always good. He’s a great recruiter and he knows how to recruit guys.

Did Miller coaching you, give him a leg up?
Oh yeah. That definitely plays a factor. I think probably any coach I would play with and just to have that one on one time with. I had a couple heart to heart moments with him, coach Miller, so we are kind of close.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1619650-qa-five-star-wing-josh-jackson

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Miller outcoached Few in the 2nd half. To put this in perspective, Gonzaga, all time, was 149-9 at home. Hell of a homecourt advantage. Make that 149-10.

Sure helps with the team's overall confidence.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So don't hate the messenger but with the NBA shakeup of the Philadelphia 76ers guess whose name is surfacing as one of the possible coaches to go after next year, Sean Miller.

I guess being from Pennsylvania was enough to get his name on the rumor list. Miller just doesn't strike me as a guy who'd want to coach in the NBA. He would have TJ McConnell again.

I'm not aware of any connection between Colangelo and Miller?

Edit, Yahoo says they have sources saying Philly is going to extend their current coach and rumors they are looking at replacements for next season are not true.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Miller is from Pittsburgh which is nowhere close to Philly both geographically and culturally. He'd love to coach in the NBA for the right job and with promises in place. I personally don't think he'd be that good at it, his personality fits better in college where guys come and go.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
So don't hate the messenger but with the NBA shakeup of the Philadelphia 76ers guess whose name is surfacing as one of the possible coaches to go after next year, Sean Miller.

I guess being from Pennsylvania was enough to get his name on the rumor list. Miller just doesn't strike me as a guy who'd want to coach in the NBA. He would have TJ McConnell again.

I'm not aware of any connection between Colangelo and Miller?

Edit, Yahoo says they have sources saying Philly is going to extend their current coach and rumors they are looking at replacements for next season are not true.

Sounds more like wishful thinking from UCLA fans. McConnell is not the catalyst for the Miller transition to the pros (LOL). If anything, Miller is taking the Kentucky or North Carolina jobs when they become available. It would take a national title for Miller to get serious pro consideration, and with this year being a down year, won't happen until at least next season; and that's provided he even wants to go pro.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds more like wishful thinking from UCLA fans. McConnell is not the catalyst for the Miller transition to the pros (LOL). If anything, Miller is taking the Kentucky or North Carolina jobs when they become available. It would take a national title for Miller to get serious pro consideration, and with this year being a down year, won't happen until at least next season; and that's provided he even wants to go pro.

My guess is if there had been truth to this and Miller actually did want to take that job, UA would have just replaced him with Archie Miller who IMO is a better coach. Might not recruit as well as Sean we'd find out when he had a school like UA to recruit at but given what he's done at Dayton I think as a UCLA fan I'd rather go against Sean.

Generally speaking when UCLA fans talk next coach the first few names up are Tony Bennett and some young up and comers, but there's always the I wish we could get Archie Miller but he'd never take the job with his brother at UA.

Philly has essentially now said the plan is to extend Brett Brown and try to actually field an NBA roster for him to coach.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So that Trier guy looking like a first rounder.

Been wondering when his 3's would start falling,way too good of a shooter to continue missing them knew it was a matter of time.

If Fresno had a backup PG they may have stayed close, those 2 quick fouls on Guerrero that put him on the bench ended their chance they could not score without him running the offense.

UA really needs Tollefsen to get out of his slump.