Apologists, please explain why this is OK in a "rebuild year"

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Woah...... Recency bias?

This is truly ugly....... But I think they wouldn’t be fooled by a Bono bootleg.

In short.... The bottom of the well is still in front of us IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No. I've seen this team lose 8 games to start a season and look better than this.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yes, Arians was a good coach and put good staff around him for the most part, save for Amos. I think his biggest flaws came from his age... it was hard on his health to give 110% at all times. I think when we suffered it was from lack of adjustment and resting on our laurels. I think the other part of the "age" thing, which he made clear, he was going to do things his way since he knew it wasn't going to last long. I think that meant that he would rather make decisions that made him sleep good at night as opposed to making tough decisions that would stress him out and affect personal relationships, but ultimately would have been best for the team. Part of being a players coach is you get too close to some players to be objective. I felt like he had some favorites, or those he made personal (unfortunate) commitments to, and for those players and staff it was like a social club and not a football club.

I feel like Wilkes does not have the locker room. We had some of our core players on D not playing the snaps they normally do. Is this because they can't figure out the new scheme, are rejecting it, or what's going on? Not a good sign.

1. If you can't spell the head coach's name right, I have a problem with your judgement of our team.

2. This effort is miserable. Let's toss Bradford in a well, or McCoy, or someone. It's unacceptable.

3. I'm very concerned. This doesn't look like a good team, and didn't coming in, but I'm worried mostly about our coaching. There's no passion or innovation. Even rebuilding, there should be some hope... and I'd be looking at McCoy very intensely right now, along with Keim.

At least we didn't trade the farm for a QB.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Woah...... Recency bias?

This is truly ugly....... But I think they wouldn’t be fooled by a Bono bootleg.

In short.... The bottom of the well is still in front of us IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think he’s right. We’re on historically bad paces on both sides of the ball. Historically.

I’ve been a fan since ‘74 I’ve I’ve never witnessed such horrific, poor, embarrassing play by a team, players & coaches in a Cards team in my life.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I'm glad my recording was cut short by the "Your team sucks and is getting clobbered, so we're switching coverage" announcement.

I would have lost it, I haven't missed a snap since 1988. I did have to watch on game on tape, was out of the country, but I watched it.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Keim either was worried about selling tickets or completely blew the evaluation of this team.
2. Keim failed miserably by letting this team grow old ESPECIALLY at QB. A QB to replace Palmer should have been in place two or three years ago but he kept plugging holes with the hope of buying 1 more year or to appease BA. So what does he do this year? He spends 20 mil on two QB's that are pedestrian AT BEST. That money could have been spent a whole lot better just about anywhere on this roster.
3. Drafting. Probably THE biggest problem. Constantly trying to look smarter than everybody else in the room. Buchanon has been a epic failure trying to play LB. Did you hear his name called today? Reddick can't even crack the starting line up. Nkemdiche needs to prove a WHOLE lot more...this is his THIRD YEAR!
4. This years plan. We were the LAST team to sign a head coach. Of course we are fed the corporate line" We got the guy we wanted". BULL poo. We got scraps. TODAY'S FOOTBALL LEANS FAVORABLY TOWARD OFFENSE. Did you see the scores of today's games? If you don't have an offense you don't have a chance to win or be entertaining. Washed up QB, patchwork o-line signing retreads that have been oft injured ( Smith already). No WR's. I guess he really believed that Fitz and Johnson were going to be enough. Add to that we hire a retread OC who's M/O is known league wide and is basically terrible.
5. Defense. So this "Guy we wanted all along" comes in and takes a pretty good defense and changes it to a 4-3 without having the personnel to play a 4-3. Suddenly Jones has his hand on the ground after reeking havoc over the last two years. Please don't say they're tired because the offense isn't helping , true. But this defense has grade out at a C- WHEN FRESH.
6. Conviction. Keim has none. Two years ado the Bears traded up to grab their QB. People knocked them for making that move but Ryan Pace had CONVICTION. HE believed in what he saw and wanted in a Qb. This year he was the first guy to go out and sign his head coach. CONVICTION. Nobody was praising him for hiring Nagy, but I'll be damned he looks like a bright and fresh guy with a diverse and innovative offense.

Two games into this season and this team is demoralized. The fans are demoralized. There are no answers on this roster. We have a few pieces that we could trade for some draft picks....but would you trust this regime with draft picks? Keim won't trade anybody anyway because he either lacks conviction, vision or is totally inept at evaluating the situation.

I guess he is hoping with the cap space we will have next year that everything is going to be alright. Maybe. But if he had vision some of those pieces could have been put in place this year instead of spending 20 mil on Bradford. We could have lost this bad with Glennon and used Bradford money on a LB, WR, CB, or pass rusher. Keim didn't have the balls to say to us fans, "Hey, we need to get to work and look to the future."

I know everybody is afraid of "ruining " Rosen, but guess what? HE would make this offense better because his gunslinger menatlity and arm strength. He would add the threat of deep throws. There is no guarantee that Rosen is the QBOF. We hope so. We think so. Well let's find out. The kid was YAWNING on the sidelines today. He's got to be thinking and believing he could do better than what we're seeing and I believe he's right. AT least it would be a reason to watch. CONVICTION.

OP
OP
B

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I love new Cardinal fans who think winning is there birth right.

Hahaha, you are a real gem... if it shows even on a forum, I can't imagine what your colleagues who know you IRL think (friends and family are a hard stretch for me believe based on what you're personality).

Let's walk thru this...

1) I make a post asking to here arguments on why a team, especially one with a strong track record (despite around 500 last two years) has to expect this year to be total dogsh** and not just accept, but expect what have seen thus far. I was looking for a reasoned response, likely with some historical context to understand why we should not be blaming SK/staff and perhaps some hope for the season.

2) Your first instinct is to make a personal attack, followed by a illogical reply without any forethought.

3) I retort with information to counter your dubious assertion.

4) Instead of disputing or defending that position you resort to another personal quip: the "go to" move for every ego maniac that gets bested.

I suppose I am a "NEW" Cards fan since I was only a fan since they were the "Phoenix Cardinals", not back in St Louis. I think I only made it 3 games that inaugural year at Sun Devil Stadium, but I was only about 10 at the time so I wasn't really in a position to take myself to every game. I still have the inaugural poster purchased at SDS that year in a tube stashed somewhere. I wanted to put a pic on here without going thru the trouble of digging it out, but a search of Google images doesn't turn up what I have, so perhaps there aren't that many left in the wild.

Point is, this team was not on the bricks and still on the bricks... this team is going thru a transitional phase, but nothing that would excuse the product on the field. Now I've seen the light though... this is just cyclical, and the footballs are not smiling on us right now. There is nothing that anyone could have done to prevent this or turn it around, so there is no reason for anyone to be accountable or anyone to be upset by it since it was predestined. This stupefied approach to it is much easier to explain and live with - thanks!

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is fine to loose this season. But it is not ok to come out totally unprepared two weeks in a row. And you would hope the games would be more competitive.
As far as SK goes they should have ditched him during his drinking and driving bender. His decisions have clearly set the team way behind in the NFL.
DWI has a new meaning. Drafting while intoxicated.