A time line of level headed changes.

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
1. Start M. Hall from here on out. Only pull him if he is horrible.

2. Give the offensive line the Saints game to improve. If nothing, then changes should be made over the bye. I haven't given too much thought to what should be done exactly but I think changes something like this should be worth a look: Bridges for Kieth or Hadnot for Faneca or Bridges for Brown with Brown back at RT for Kieth.

3. Give Bill _avis (I say avis because there is no D anywhere near this fool) the Saints game, the bye, and the next road game (Seattle) to show any sign of defensive life. If none, then fire him and promote from within. This will do nothing to truly improve the D but a message will have been sent to the team and fans.

4. The team and the fans would have to remember at this point that this is truly a transition year and not loose all faith in the organization. Many great teams have had these sort of years. Its how you retool and bounce back the next season that matter. Just ask the Steelers who seem to do this every few years. (By the way I hate the Steelers but respect them)

5. At the end of the season, if everything stays putrid, fire _avis (if he makes it that far) and fire Grimm (if no one will take this overrated hog off the Cards hands first). A D and O coordinator overhaul, ala the Chiefs (Crennel and Weis) will be needed at that point. Perhaps a D coordinator that will go back to a 4-3 under hybrid look, which seems to fit the teams best players abilities, would be worth a try.

6. During free agency and the draft and depending on the new coordinators, find personnel that FITS the schemes. Most likely in this order of importance: linebackers, linebackers, and more linebackers, a REAL left tackle, a starting QB or quality back up (depending on how Hall does), CB depth, a REAL C, and a TE who actually makes a difference. Of course other stuff depending on who defects.

Sorry if I've overlooked anything but I am still a little "SHOCKED" by witnessing the execution by "ELECTROCUTION" of the Cardinals by the "BOLTS" today.
^Too much^:D

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know who you would go to if Max is horrible??? Agree about Davis...Grimm, I dunno whether he is totally responsible for the personnel he has to work with.

Maybe we could get Wikileaks to find out about Leinart and the oline, I for one, would just like to know...not that it matters

Liked the Electrocution comment

OP
OP
S

Seandonic

Reaction score
I don't know who you would go to if Max is horrible??? Agree about Davis...Grimm, I dunno whether he is totally responsible for the personnel he has to work with.

Maybe we could get Wikileaks to find out about Leinart and the oline, I for one, would just like to know...not that it matters

Liked the Electrocution comment

I agree that Grimm would be the tougher one to fire. As far as who I would go with if not Hall, I just meant anyone, (DA or Skelton) just so Hall would not loose all confidence. Thanks for commenting.:)

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I agree that Grimm would be the tougher one to fire. As far as who I would go with if not Hall, I just meant anyone, (DA or Skelton) just so Hall would not loose all confidence. Thanks for commenting.:)
maybe we'll get lucky and someone will actually hire Grimm as their HC because that's the only way Whiz will get rid of him. In Grimm's defense, and I can't believe i'm saying this, he's the running game coordinator and from the second half of last season on, the running game has been pretty good.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
maybe we'll get lucky and someone will actually hire Grimm as their HC because that's the only way Whiz will get rid of him. In Grimm's defense, and I can't believe i'm saying this, he's the running game coordinator and from the second half of last season on, the running game has been pretty good.

But I don't know why he's not pushing the running game. He's the running game coordinator, so I would hope that he'd be more aggressively in the HC's ear about--I don't know--calling some freaking run plays.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I am as unhappy about the defense as anybody --

but do mid-season coordinator changes really do anything? (other than make fans happy)

Is there anyone on the staff who could credibly step in?

I just can't recall a situation where a coordinator change mid season really changed anything

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can Alan Faneca play center?

If he can, I think that move would help the line in a couple of ways:

1. Hadnot steps in at G
2. Faneca won't be taking on as many linemen 1-on-1 in passing situations

football karma

Reaction score
Can Alan Faneca play center?

If he can, I think that move would help the line in a couple of ways:

1. Hadnot steps in at G
2. Faneca won't be taking on as many linemen 1-on-1 in passing situations

Is Sendlein a consistent problem? Doesn't seem to be --

pressure seems to be coming from two spots: Keith and Faneca

football karma

Reaction score
Add Levi to that mix.

strangely enough in a game with 8 sacks --

Levi played okay yesterday. When his guy did get pressure it was because Hall just didnt step up in the pocket.

seesred

Reaction score
Keith and Faneca These two need to be benched. This week Kieth and next week Faneca to have them in place after the bye with some game time.

GBR

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Overall that's a very good post.

I'm not sure about the exact timing of it all but the gist of it all is good.

I don't know about Hall come heck or high water, but given who else is on the bench exactly what choice do we have?

The FO is way behind the 8 ball here, they've allowed this team to implode in many ways, some of it may have been out of their control but IMO it exposes their weakness in stark reality.

A good FO never let's it get this bad and this hopeless with out at least a clearly defined plan to explain where it's going from here.

The problem I see right now is not just how awful we are but just how awful we are AND how we got here AND how little we even recognized what could all go wrong.

A ton of moves and non-moves allowed this to happen, it's the non-moves that worry me the most as well as a slew of moves, ie DA, Bill Davis, the Oline that went into the dirt.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
First of all it's a home game, and the Saints are hurting, considering the trend here I think we might see a slightly more competitive game than the road blowouts we've endured.

They tend not to show up in games on the road but usually do at home and it's the defending champs, they'll try which IMO is one reason this is less likely to be a blowout than otherwise.

Still I can't see us winning the game, but stranger things have occured, mostly in terms of vauge undocumented legends but still.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

I'm blaming the HC for much of our Oline troubles. Why have a bunch of run blockers & not run the rock? We're still trying to run the same O that Warner was successful in with an untalented QB, banged up WR corp & a questionable pass blocking Oline. Come on Wiz, play to the teams strengths!!!

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Totally agree, it would just be more of the same. 49ers could only muster 1 score Sunday with their new guy.

At some point you do it just to do it, not because it's really going to help the season.

I agree it's not likely at all to improve our performance, in fact it could make it worse, if that's really possible, and I'm sure knowing us it is.

It's not about that, it's about pride and the principle of the thing at some point.

We're not IMO there yet but we're getting there.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're still trying to run the same O that Warner was successful
Agreed. The line hasn't gotten worse, Warner made it look a lot better in passpro than it was. He made such good, quick decisions that he bailed the line out ... a lot.

Buckybird

Reaction score
The line hasn't gotten worse, Warner made it look a lot better in passpro than it was. He made such good, quick decisions that he bailed the line out ... a lot.

agree, but why keep trying to do something you know you can't? The pass blocking is atrocious!!!

OP
OP
S

Seandonic

Reaction score
At some point you do it just to do it, not because it's really going to help the season.

I agree it's not likely at all to improve our performance, in fact it could make it worse, if that's really possible, and I'm sure knowing us it is.

It's not about that, it's about pride and the principle of the thing at some point.

We're not IMO there yet but we're getting there.
This is what I was saying in the original post. Thank you for elaborating Conrad.

OP
OP
S

Seandonic

Reaction score
I'm blaming the HC for much of our Oline troubles. Why have a bunch of run blockers & not run the rock? We're still trying to run the same O that Warner was successful in with an untalented QB, banged up WR corp & a questionable pass blocking Oline. Come on Wiz, play to the teams strengths!!!
Thanks for commenting Buckbird. Your right on the money as usual. A great coach has to be able to adjust to his teams strengths, play the hand he is dealt, and adapt to changing attack plans. If not then he is just a one trick pony and will not last. The jury is still out on coach Whiz but the clock is ticking.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Technically we are averaging 6.5 pts offensively, given the defensive TD yesterday :D

7 vs Atlanta 17 at Oakland and 3 Sunday. That's 27/3 which is 9 or did I indulge a little too much Saturday? I'm not counting the Rams game of course.

Buckybird

Reaction score
7 vs Atlanta 17 at Oakland and 3 Sunday. That's 27/3 which is 9 or did I indulge a little too much Saturday? I'm not counting the Rams game of course.

oops I was taking the Atl & SD games you had quoted